Lining a Hatton's P class

I managed to get hold of a Hatton's SECR P class last week:

48433348346_716bf3e20e_h.jpgLittle and large by James Petts, on Flickr

However, the livery in which it comes is unlined black. According to Railway Liveries: Southern Railway by Brian Haresnape, unlined black was first introduced in 1935-1936: previously, the black livery for goods engines was lined in green. My planned layout is set in 1935, so it will be a little odd for all the black locomotives (this and Hornby's Drummond 700) both to be in the latest livery, so I thought that I would get some green lining transfers from Fox and add the lining.

I had initially thought that the lining was a simple scheme just incorporating the boiler bands, but it transpires that the lining is actually quite complex:

kesr_0007-ex-secr-southern-p-class-1556-

45875337861_b4a9d747e0_b.jpg90-095 Ex SE&CR P Class 0-6-0T No. 1556 and K&ESR Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0ST No. 26 'Linda' by Clive G', on Flickr

So, I have spent all evening trying to replicate this with plain lining transfers:

48467791082_4747028697_h.jpgSECR P class by James Petts, on Flickr

48467791217_d82b4b1f6b_h.jpgSECR P class by James Petts, on Flickr

I have so far done only the one side (plus front and back), as it is gone midnight and I want to go to bed at some point before I have to get up.

The lining seems a little thicker than the real locomotive, and, not realising the need for corners, these proved quite difficult (I had to use a sharp knife to cut about half way into the line in multiple points). I am not sure whether the version of the lining with corners will help here, as it is hard to judge whether the radii of the corners will match.

Some complexities: these lining transfers are very delicate. It is recommended that they be sealed in with matt varnish. However, if I ever learn how to weather locomotives, I might want to weather this one, and I am not sure whether it is possible to apply (relatively mild, given that I am modelling the 1930s) weathering over (enamel) matt varnish. However, I do not want to leave it unvarnished until some indeterminate time in the future when I learn to weather (and that is not my main priority for modelling work at present).

Also, I had hoped to add real coal, but I found that the upper rear lamp/disc bracket is moulded as part of the coal load(!); has anyone done this successfully with a Hatton's P class?

• Like 1

Did you apply the transfers straight on to the factory finish, or onto a gloss surface?  Waterslide transfers need a gloss surface to stick to (longterm), then should be sealed in with varnish.  Applying them to a gloss surface also reduces silvering.

Having obtained some corner linings, I have now completed this (save for the sealing coat of matt varnish):

48515333941_94b374f5d7_h.jpgHatton's P class (lined Southern black livery) by James Petts, on Flickr

48515331136_e7b339e9c7_h.jpgHatton's P class (lined Southern black livery) by James Petts, on Flickr

48515328841_bc1b0a593f_h.jpgHatton's P class (lined Southern black livery) by James Petts, on Flickr

I found that using Microsol helped with this greatly, and that the proper corner linings helped, too. The two in combination allowed the corner linings to be bent around to the correct radius and then to be overlapped slightly with the straight part without it being noticeable except at extremely close range. I have removed all of the straight linings that I turned into corners by cutting and replaced it with uncut corner linings, which look better, as the black gaps where the cutting took place are not visible. The corner linings also give a smoother finish, unlike the sometimes jagged appearance of the adapted straight linings. The Microsol furhter assists in helping the transfers to conform to rivet detail and other detail shapes in the body.

It is a shame that these linings are a little thick compared with the prototype; but I could not find lining transfers of the correct thinness. This should at least help to make the locomotive look more fitting for the early/mid 1930s rather than the mid/late 1930s look of the unlined black version.

• Like 2

Thank you!

I had not spotted that the back of the cab needed lining, but I see it now on the pictures: I will have to do this when I get a moment.

Edit: I also notice that the cab fronts will need similar lining.

Edited by jamespetts

I have now lined the cab front and rear:

48570676067_6254a38ed2_h.jpgHatton's P class with cab lining by James Petts, on Flickr

48570674137_8cc124fa48_h.jpgHatton's P class with cab lining by James Petts, on Flickr

The locomotive looks good next to some of the Hornby ex-LSWR 58ft rebuilt non-corridor lavatory carriages:

48570538721_96ed673001_h.jpgHatton's P class (lined) by James Petts, on Flickr

I have not yet varnished this, as it is late and I thought that I had better check that all is in order before making this permanent with varnish.

• Like 1