Early Class 21 Photo's

BR In Colour 1948-68 by Colin Boocock has a cracking full page colour close up shot of brand new class 21's at Stratford in 1959. There is was a book published by the Irwell press called Diesel Depots, The Early Years, which has loads of shots of Ipswich, Stratford and Devons Road, plus Laira and some of the Midlands Depots, with classes 15, 16, 20, 21, 24, 30 etc. The ISBN is 9781871608014. When I bought a copy it was £6.50, but I understand that it is now a highly sought after book, and the asking price can be over £100 for a copy.:blink:

Hi,

Does anyone have or know were you can find early Class 21 photos during their time at Stratford in the early 60's, like to see them in amongst Class 15, 16, 23 and 31's.

Cheers

I've been an avid collector of class 21 pics for many years and of them at Stratford sofar I have managed to find the grand total 1! And its the one mentioned above! LOL

BR In Colour 1948-68 by Colin Boocock has a cracking full page colour close up shot of brand new class 21's at Stratford in 1959. There is was a book published by the Irwell press called Diesel Depots, The Early Years, which has loads of shots of Ipswich, Stratford and Devons Road, plus Laira and some of the Midlands Depots, with classes 15, 16, 20, 21, 24, 30 etc. The ISBN is 9781871608014. When I bought a copy it was £6.50, but I understand that it is now a highly sought after book, and the asking price can be over £100 for a copy.:blink:

How chuffin much???? I bought one for a fiver, knocked down to shift the last few! It is a cracking book though....

Cheers

Jim

I dont have it myself, but it occurs to me that 'Diesels in East Anglia' by Ian C Allen might be worth a punt.

There is one photo of a 21 in there, D6117 near Framlingham hauling a brake van.

Aspects of East Anglian Diesels - Part 1 (ISBN 1 871277 12 4) by South Anglia Productions also has a couple, D6114 at Ripple Lane and D6103 at Cambridge.

There is one photo of a 21 in there, D6117 near Framlingham hauling a brake van.

Aspects of East Anglian Diesels - Part 1 (ISBN 1 871277 12 4) by South Anglia Productions also has a couple, D6114 at Ripple Lane and D6103 at Cambridge.

Both good books. Quite a few class 15's too.;)

Two more books which might be of interest are The Colour Of British Rail Vol.1 - Diesel Pioneers, by Robert Stephens, and The Early Years Of London Diesels, by Michael Welch. Both feature a colour side on shot of D6114 at Stratford. The Diesel Pioneers book also has a shot of brand new class 21's and 23's lined up awaiting acceptance at Doncaster.

Archived