RMweb

Murky waters...

I admire all those layouts with dark, murky water in their dock basins. And I know that much of the effect is a combination of a murky colour plus lashings of varnish or a layer of this new-fangled "water" resin stuff. But I am stuck on step 1 - the murky colour...

I have mixed greens with blues with browns, a drop here, a splash there, a recombination of wonderful, evocatively named sample pots and I think I am writing a raunchy novel...

In other words, 50+ shades of grey!

I might have well just used the grey paint I used for under the trackbed, for all the good this mixing is doing me! Photo shows "water" and "trackbed"!!

I admit it - O level "art" was too long ago to remember what happens when you mix different colours together!

Can anybody please assist with recommendations of how to create the murky, browny-green water found in docks, the kind that makes you think mud is mixed up equally with splashes of oil so that the last thing you see is the bottom!

Imagine an "Idiot's Guide to Paint Mixing", if you please!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve S

image.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I have never mixed paint to represent watery bottoms, so this suggestion is purely conjecture. Would it appear more realistic if the various colours were painted on separately and only mixed at the edges of their respective patches? In other words, paint on a dirty brown colour in a small patch and then paint on a dirty green colour in another patch next to it. Before they dry, mix abd blend the paint at the edges of the two patches to create a gradual transition between the colours. Repeat as desired.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Assuming that you want to use acrylics, the first minute or so of this video should help. I would have thought that the shades in the middle of the top row would be about right. Similar to what MIck has said, I would mix 3 shades, not too far apart in colour and paint patches blending the edges of each patch into its neighbour until you have covered the area.

good. Luck

Edited by nickwood
  • Informative/Useful 1

Have a look at Wickes matchpots. There are "fifty" shades of "not quite black". These are used to paint the bed. Next step is to source some  6mm perspex (look in skips). The under side can be sprayed with Matt black / dark green. Once dry, much of this is patchily removed with solvent and a rag. This perspex is suspended above the bed and any retaining walls are constructed on it. The final stage is to use varnish or casting resin ( lots of thin layers) to add the top water. Dirty thinners or turps can be drizzled to create localised variations.

If this is a first attempt try a small scale mock up on some scrap ply.

• Thanks 1