Class 66 Low Emission Sounds

GoingUnderground

I've recently taken delivery of the Model Rail Metronet liveried Class 66, and I want to fit sound to it.

The Metronet liveried 66s are all the low emission version, so what I want to know is:

1. Is there any difference between the sound of a low emission 66 and the "normal" one?
  2. If there is, does anyone sell a DCC sound chip (Loksound 21 pin preferably) preloaded with the sounds of the low emission class 66? I've looked but can't find anyone.

Thanks for your help.

• RMweb Gold

the low emmission 66 is a different sound to the normal one, bryan at howes has done a test bed one which i have fitted to my fastline 66.

the main differences are the claxon sounds, start up sequence and on some low emission 66s the horn...

on a "normal" 66 when it starts it does 5 "beeps" on the claxon and then it does 2 cranks of the engine before it starts up (the cranks are designed to see if there is water in the pistons, if there is it won't start)

on a low emission 66 the 5 claxon "beeps" are a different note and it does not do the 2 cranks, just goes straight into the start up.

the chip bryan has produced was recorded my myself off various fastline, gbrf and drs low emission 66's (inc metronet ones) and has got buffer clank i recorded off 66305 from when i was shunting in derby, as well as horns off the same loco which is a low emission one, he's also added notching, as i say its just a testbed chip at the moment but if you phoned howes and asked for a low emission one when you ordered you would be able to get one

sorry for posting my vids again but here it is in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMDIfGP-YrU

class 66 buffer clank at 1:30ish

notching begins at 2:15ish

• 4 weeks later...

I find myself in the same position as regards Sir Edward, so I'm glad I spotted this - thanks Jim and Keith, looks like I'll be ordering one when Howes get the next batch of 21 pin chips in.

Will

• 4 weeks later...

I expect Bryan will have done a thorough job as always. They do NOT sound the same ticking over. Cannot put my finger on it but always know which is which. They don't seem to do the original build occasional rev up when ticking over either, though stand to be corrected by FL/GBRf drivers! Let us know Bryan?

• RMweb Gold

I expect Bryan will have done a thorough job as always. They do NOT sound the same ticking over. Cannot put my finger on it but always know which is which. They don't seem to do the original build occasional rev up when ticking over either, though stand to be corrected by FL/GBRf drivers! Let us know Bryan?

the exhaust note may be slightly different on them due to the different exhaust/cooler configration, under power they do some really different, but the idle isn't that much different. if i can find the mp3's of them i'll put a sample up (if i can figure out how), for example ive got 66707 and 66304 both with 2500 tons behind as well as them idling them to compare.

both the non low emission and low emission 66's both do the random rev up and down thing, spent many an hour sat on them listening to them do it (have driven drs, freightliner, gbrf and fastline 66s)

the howes chip doesn't do the rev up and down thing as it would have to be on random function and would do it at some point every 2 minutes for a set time which would be pretty annoying

the beta version i have of the low emission 66 (as in the vid above) has notching so you can notch it up to notch 1 "high revs" if you wanted to replicate it

My chip arrived and I got around to installing it last night - at the moment it has a bass reflex speaker at one end, and the 20x40 speaker (as recommended) at the other in a sealed enclosure. Both are facing down. I'm pretty sure I got them in phase - I wired up one and then swapped the leads over on the other until it added to the existing sound rather than changed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hRm4dkJQWI

I think it sounds pretty good, the smaller speaker adds nice treble detail although it also shows up a bit of hiss and popping in some of the loops. The larger speaker gives the diesel a bit more grunt. The horn is wonderful! I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the smaller speaker long term, or just use the bass reflex.

Installation wasn't too bad - although removing the body always seems much harder than it should with the class 66! I had to lightly file the bass reflex speaker (being careful not to unseal the enclosure) to clear the screw pillars, and remove the screws from one of the cab roof light boards where they sit over the speaker.

Thanks Jim + Bryan :)

Will

Archived