New items 2022

Neils WRX

7 minutes ago, SimonBoulton said:

Yes, I’ve had notification that my preorder ones are in. Just checked the GM site, £75 for a coach that’s €68 in Germany! 

The guys on that forum always find something wrong with a model

Not like RMWeb then... :huh:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 28/01/2022 at 18:37, SimonBoulton said:

Yes, I’ve had notification that my pre-order ones are in. Just checked the GM site, £75 for a coach that’s €68 in Germany! 

The guys on that forum always find something wrong with a model

I find the price differentials frustrating. I'd rather place my orders via my local dealer, who gets items through GM. I get a pre-order discount but it is still notably more expensive than purchasing direct from a German / French / Austrian / Polish / Hungarian / Romanian dealer. With one recent Piko sound-fitted loco the price differential was going to be in the region of £140, which would have been more than a Eurostar ticket to go an collect it!

I understand that post-Brexit there is more paperwork and that there will be a surcharge for GM to process the extra paperwork, but if it feels excessive I'm going to order direct...

Luke

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

I find the price differentials frustrating. I'd rather place my orders via my local dealer, who gets items through GM. I get a pre-order discount but it is still notably more expensive than purchasing direct from a German / French / Austrian / Polish / Hungarian / Romanian dealer. With one recent Piko sound-fitted loco the price differential was going to be in the region of £140, which would have been more than a Eurostar ticket to go an collect it!

I understand that post-Brexit there is more paperwork and that there will be a surcharge for GM to process the extra paperwork, but if it feels excessive I'm going to order direct...

Luke

This is the nub of my beef with buying Continental stuff in the UK - the surcharge added by GM.

Back when Local Hobby Shops could bring their own orders into the UK, my LHS owner used to give a very fair discount on the RRP.

As soon as GM took over almost all Continental stuff coming into the UK (way before Brexit), such decent pricing went out the window and prices increased in addition to this.

An example of an argument I had with them;

Me: Why is your price on XYZ item around 15% more than in Germany?

GM: Ah, well you see, there’s “import duty”.

Me: No, there isn’t, not from another EU country! (Before Brexit).

GM: Well, we don’t make any profit buying from your German retailer.

Me: You buy it wholesale, from the same place as the German retailer.

GM: Goodbye 

Even counting for the fact that GM do now have to complete additional paperwork and import duties, still does not explain why their prices are so high - except that they’re greedy, exploitive so and so’s.

Even were I still in the UK, I would still rather self import and face my own import duties, happily knowing that I am not contributing to their coffers.

Rant over, thank you!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

When I was a student nearly 40 years ago I had a Saturday and summer job in one of the UKs leading HO stockist namely Just Continental, at the time our biggest competition in retail mostly for Roco was Howes and Victors, all three have now gone from the high st (are howes still trading?) this was at a time before the single market and most UK Continental modellers sourced from the UK I can’t remember who was importing Roco at the time it may have been part of Beatties empire but we used to get ours from a German outlet,   This is at a time when a Roco loco was £29 , we sourced very little from the uk importers , there was paperwork involved but we often had products before the UK importer. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TTDB said:

I can’t remember who was importing Roco at the time it may have been part of Beatties empire but we used to get ours from a German outlet,  

It was Riko who were the UK importers (and yes they were part of the Beatties empire). I was occasional Victors staff and we didn't get our Roco from Riko either...

Luke

Edited by luke_stevens
spelling correction
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I think Jaegerndorfer will get some money this year. Not that I need them, but I collect old Austrian locos... Had some very nice Klein Modellbahn Oldtimers, but all died the Mazak-rot death.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

B-models - Catalog 2022 - Part 1

https://www.trainsdepot.org/manufacturers/pdfs/view/742/b_models_catalog_2022_part_1_pdf

SNCB 51 on cover but just wagons in the brochure...

Nothing about 51’s on their website :-( 

Will keep a watch on this.

Do quite like my Mehano 51’s especially the custom sounds.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vecchio said:

Had some very nice Klein Modellbahn Oldtimers, but all died the Mazak-rot death.

I had the same problem. Back in 03 (?) when I was in Venna I found that Klein Modellbahn would repair them IF you brought them into one of their shops. I asked the chap behind the counter whether this could be done for non-Austrian customers and he had a "hadn't-thought-of-that" look on his face. By the time I was next in Vienna the shops were all going/gone.

Sad.

Luke

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2022 at 23:08, luke_stevens said:

I had the same problem. Back in 03 (?) when I was in Venna I found that Klein Modellbahn would repair them IF you brought them into one of their shops. I asked the chap behind the counter whether this could be done for non-Austrian customers and he had a "hadn't-thought-of-that" look on his face. By the time I was next in Vienna the shops were all going/gone.

Sad.

Luke

At one point — after the closure of the company — the former owner made available brass replacement chassis for at least some of the affected models. The details appeared in a past issue of the Austrian Railway Group Journal, though I don't know how long ago this was. Note that PDFs of all Austrian Railway Group Journals — back to number 1 — are available online to members.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going off topic, a chap in Belgium is producing replacement chassis and DCC conversion for the Klein Modellbahn class 60’s as they suffered Zinc Rot. I have one on my to do pile!!

I have his details if anyone is interested.

Stay safe,

Neil

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some limited new items from Mabar including the ACME Traxx being issued as three Spanish versions. This model was previously released under the Electrotren brand.

https://mabar.es/es/c-55-0-0/Novedades-H0-2022/

https://mabar.es/es/c-56-0-0/Novedades-N-2022/

Most of the above except the Traxx seems to have been previously announced.

On 02/02/2022 at 15:44, luke_stevens said:

B-models - Catalog 2022 - Part 1

https://www.trainsdepot.org/manufacturers/pdfs/view/742/b_models_catalog_2022_part_1_pdf

SNCB 51 on cover but just wagons in the brochure...

And here is the link to the Cl51 new items leaflet 

https://www.trainsdepot.org/manufacturers/pdfs/download/767/b_models_sncb_diesel_51_pdf

• 4 weeks later...