Glorious Steam - Diorama 1

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I went through a stage of having a plain backscene for, as Rowsley indicates above, it's better to have something than the flock wallpaper and ducks on the wall like Hilda Ogden's "muriel".

Having seen advances in enlarging photos of real life scenes to provide a backdrop on a number of layouts, I'm rather minded to think this might be the way forward.

Dunno; don't think there's one answer to all this.

I agree, there's certainly no one right answer that's for sure.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick response as I'm about to eat my tea....

I really like photo backscenes and there are plenty available. But after a year or so they wrinkle up and look awful. Hence the reason for removal of the one in the Bunker about 2 months ago.

I'm going to paint a neutral grey-blue onto the reverse of the existing boards and see how that looks.

J.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a plan, Jeff. Mine too have bubbled and wrinkled although I took care with applying them. It doesn't help that the backs face the window and have the morning sun on them (when it shines.) I'm going to enquire as to where DCC Concepts got their vinyl one printed and see how much an arm and a leg it would cost.

• Like 1

Backscenes!

Second only to loco colours on my list of bettes noire.

I hadn’t really noticed the one on the diorama so in my mind that makes it a success.

Since you’re going to experiment can I suggest investing in some tester pots.

Three (not 50!) shades of grey. Cover the test area in the mid shade, allow to dry. With a small piece of sponge or rag dab patches of the other two shades over the surface. Hopefully you end up with a typical British sky!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 15/02/2022 at 17:10, Physicsman said:

Just a quick response as I'm about to eat my tea....

I really like photo backscenes and there are plenty available. But after a year or so they wrinkle up and look awful. Hence the reason for removal of the one in the Bunker about 2 months ago.

I'm going to paint a neutral grey-blue onto the reverse of the existing boards and see how that looks.

J.

Personally I’m a big fan of the neutral backscene. Most photographic ones seem disjointed from the layout and I find them quite jarring. There are exceptions of course and Phil Coggan’s GWR Welsh layout is one of those. 

Jay

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Easy for a backscene to be distracting but conversely they can help place a layout in its appropriate setting. How to achieve that is very definitely an art rather than a science.

One backscene that always stands out in my mind was of dark, stormy skies. It really gave a completely different atmosphere to the layout it was on to the usual sunny scene. Unfortunately I can't remember the layout, other than it was set in Wales.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just to update my intentions on the backscene issue.

I'm currently doing a bit of re-walling work on Gill Head (!!), but at some stage in the next week I'll paint a neutral grey-blue (more grey than blue) onto the reverse of the boards that are currently there. You can then give me your opinion.

Aside from the insanity on Gill Head, I've been reviewing the baseboard plans for Hell Ghyll Sidings. The materials for the L-table and ply base will probably be bought at the end of March. So that gives me another 4-5 weeks to do crazy things - pics at some stage - to confirm my insanity.

Peter, David, Jay, Simon, Jonathan, Brian - thank you for taking the time to give your viewpoints on here.

Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2022 at 05:40, Physicsman said:

I finally managed to get into the Bunker this morning, so here are some exciting pictures of timber and ply - and I know you love looking at them..... So there'll be another batch in a little while.

The base-board for the diorama is a sheet of 12mm thick birch ply, 60cm x 40cm. Shown here with its 44mm x 44mm under-framing.

All screws are fitted from the bottom so they are accessible once the scenic part is put onto the top.

20220113_122809cr.jpg.8cf5aa73a2301ec6fe140358024375c2.jpg

20220113_122833rs.jpg.f9a7289a87a4fb39585f8988f5277674.jpg

20220113_122839rs.jpg.5c96486bcaf5128c762f7e3a7a20395e.jpg

Two boards have been built. Both will have a power supply and a couple of bolts have been added to allow better alignment when the two are pushed together.

20220113_133628cr.jpg.f659e2a784d32e1b8b74b00ed314bd2a.jpg

20220113_133734.jpg.7d34e1cf3fbf42fff87cae080c3a4586.jpg

More in about 20 minutes, after I've finished my coffee!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

you sure do build "solid", that ain't gettin' out of alignment anytime soon.

Good job you weren't around when the Pyramids were being built, they'd have reached half way to the Moon, but then that'd suit you anyway :devil:

Colin

• Like 1
  • Agree 1