Farish DP1 weirdness

Bought this on the Bay of Thieves, came not very well packed.  Took ages to guess the CV1 because I don't have a permanent programming track - turned out to be 55.  Heathen.  Anyway, the lights turned on and off but it showed no interest in moving, and applying power merely turned the lights out.  I gave it a nudge and it showed some interest, so I put a drop of lube on each bogie and, with a bit more encouragement, got it running (badly) in both directions.

But it kept losing contact with the decoder (carrying on at a constant speed even if the STOP button was pressed on the Dynamis) and I couldn't programme it at all.

So I set up a programming track, set CV8 to 8, and started again.  Now it runs like a dream and can be fully programmed.

The question is: was the non-running and rough running entirely due to the decoder getting in a tizz, or did it really need lube as well?  Can a squiffy decoder cause hesitant running?

Edited by rogerzilla
typo

Most, but regretably not all, older ZIMO decoder types can be updated quite easily by loading new firmware which includes the ability to set Brake Key function.

What type is fitted? If you don't know for sure, read CV250 and from the value in that CV the decoder type can be identified. (if your Dynamis can read the CV).

From this you can work out or we can advise you if the relevant update is possible.

Best regards,

Paul

3 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

CV250 is 233.  CV7 is 31, CV8 is 145 and CV65 is 57.

That's a ZIMO MX622 decoder with software V31 .57. This software does not support the Brake Key feature.

MX622 decoders can be updated to the latest software V40.5 which does support the Brake Key.

Please not that there are two hardware versions of the MX622, the one you have (CV250 = 233) and a 2019 revision (CV250 = 192). As far as I know, the Brake Key feature is not affected by this difference. (but there are some recent new facilities which will not operate with the older version - due to the smaller flash memory of the older one).

You will still benefit in other ways from updating to V40.5

Best regards,

Paul

If you know anyone with a Z21 then they can do the update for you - I don't know where you are in the country to suggest where you could go. If you're local to me, then I would do it for you. It takes all of 5 minutes.

PM me with your location, if you want me to do it.