USA tank.

Gilwell Park

I know that what we in the UK call the USA tank was also used in France & Yugoslavia after WW2. My question is " What other European countries made use of them?" Possible industrial use also?

My small, private, Austrian branch line has recently acquired one ( Hornby Acho) & I should like to know if it is remotely possible or do I just use rule !?

Thanks  Roger.

The standard reference is Tourret's "Allied Military Locomotives of the Second World War", which gives details of post-war disposals.  In addition to those countries mentioned (i.e. Austria, France, Yugoslavia), there were of course 20 going to OSE in Greece, others to China, and some seeing industrial service in Holland (Oranje Nassau Mijnen, Heerlen) and Russia.

In 1953, those that went to Austria were re-numbered (from their USATC numbers) in sub-classes by builder: those (5) built by Vulcan Ironworks being 989.01-5; those (3) from Davenport 989.101-3 and those (2) from Porter 989.201-2.  Of these, nos 989.01 and 989.04 went into industrial service - Tourret doesn't give details, but are recorded elsewhere as going to Siegendorf (sugar factory) and Morawetz, Vöcklabruck (both in 1963).  I cannot find dates of withdrawal for this pair, but the remaining eight ÖBB locos were withdrawn in February/March 1968. 

Apparently 989.01 is preserved privately at Probstdorf, near Wien.  (Google appears to show adjacent to a left fork from the L3012 as it enters the town - "Wolfgang Kirchmeyer").

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 14/02/2022 at 16:38, Gilwell Park said:

I know that what we in the UK call the USA tank was also used in France & Yugoslavia after WW2. My question is " What other European countries made use of them?" Possible industrial use also?

My small, private, Austrian branch line has recently acquired one ( Hornby Acho) & I should like to know if it is remotely possible or do I just use rule !?

Thanks  Roger.

Rule 1 RULES !

I've always liked these (not so) little locomotives & amn always on the lookout for a nice HO one (to go with my other "oddities such as the Kof & Glaskasten).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

While not technically in Europe, Israel is now hosting the European Athletics U18 Championships and has amassed 4(!) Eurovision Song Contest wins, so may be eligible to be included in an answer for the OP...

Israel Railways has 4 USA tanks after 1948, of which 3 were operated, one of them (No. 21) was the star of the end-of-steam ceremony in February, 1959 (see attached photo).

קטרים 21 ו-227 בטקס סיום עידן הקיטור ברכבת ישראל - נחמן בלום.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 14/02/2022 at 16:38, Gilwell Park said:

Thanks  Roger.

The fat controller gave you already the correct answer. They were in use until 1968. For DCC freaks: There is a really good model of the ÖBB 989.03 from the French manufacturer REE available at A&H models in Brackley. Mainly made from metal, consisting of 250 parts. It has sound (Zimo) and a smoke generator, but it has also a rather hefty price. Otherwise it would no longer be in the shop....

Vecchio (made in Austria)

• Like 2