British Rail Blue and Grey

Hi All,

I'd really welcome any opinions on the following:

I'm currently working on a model of a Class 507 in BR Blue and grey, 1978-1994 I believe. Please note that I have never painted a loco before, so if I am making fundamental errors here bear with me!

Some of the tools at my disposal are:

The model, which is 3d resin printed. Some filler (Milliput) has been used on it in places.

Airbrush

I have a set of BR acrylic paints from Railmatch.

Anti-Shine matt acrylic varnish from Army Painter.

Matt black acrylic primer from Army Painter.

Regular cheap acrylic grey spray primer.

What I'm looking at doing is priming the model in grey, painting the sides blue, the roof black, and then grey panels around the windows. The white stripe around this I plan to do using Fox transfer lining as my eyesight is rubbish. The logo's and numbers etc I intend to use transfers for as well. The orange cantrail stripe I'm not sure of, however I believe it's a nightmare to get right whatever you do. The yellow ends will be applied after the blue. 

I saw a video of chap who sprayed the loco in gloss varnish before adding his transfers. When this was done he then sprayed matt varnish over the top. I'm not 100% sure if this is right, but I'd like a second opinion before I went ahead. For the life of me I can't remember what the finish was on the 507/508's I used to travel on. I seem to remember they were more of a satin finish with a matt roof? That said I haven't been on one in over 20 years, so I'd be grateful of some advice!

Cheers,

Mark 

• RMweb Premium

Check the coverage of each paint before you start on your model. You may find that the grey and yellow won't cover the blue. Likewise, I prefer to paint yellow before any other colour using a white primer. I'd go white primer, yellow, grey, blue.

Transfers do stick better to a gloss paint finish, and ideally need a coat of varnish over the top to protect them. Matt vs satin vs varnish is a personal preference. Mine's for satin on locos and coaches with matt used for wagons.

Steven B.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Another vote for lighter colours first here, yellow is notoriously transparent although some brands less so than others. 

As for gloss/satin/matt, glossy models tend to look too glossy as the effect doesn't really scale well. A useful rule of thumb is to go 'one lower' than the real thing, so satin for anything meant to look glossy, and matt for everything else. However, decals, especially waterslide, need a gloss surface to adhere to or you'll get silvering from air trapped under them. A coat of matt or satin on top then seals them. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Wear Valley Wanderer said:

Thanks, looks like I'll need to get myself some white primer. I was bit worried about the yellow as I've had trouble with that colour in the past when I used to paint miniatures.

The choice of colour for primer affects the end result. I'm sure I've been told that Phoenix match their colours based on a white primer/under-coat. Using other colours can give useful weathering effects.

If you want to use grey primer then you may find you need to either over-coat it with white before applying the yellow, or find a similar shade that does cover. I often use Humbrol 24 Trainer Yellow as an undercoat as it covers really well (and isn't that different to BR Warning Panel Yellow).

I'd still suggest experimenting with the paints you have.

Steven.

• Like 1