Q1 decoder location and fitting advice (N gauge)

AndyB

I recently purchased a Q1 secondhand and want to fit a decoder.

I've searched the Dapol website but there don't seem to be any instructions; I've contacted them to see if they can locate the info.

In the meantime I'm making the assumption that the decoder would go in the tender and that the blanking plate is the component labelled "TOP"?

20220414_170541.jpg.1350ee2c9879f1a64a651e4ca9758ad7.jpg

20220414_170505.jpg.6485c38a8e9684631e95fa27ea18eac9.jpg

If this is the case does it just slide backwards? And if so how do you get it past the wires connecting the motor and PCB without breaking them? 

Many thanks in advance if anyone can offer advice.

Andy

Hi,

It's a 6 pin blanking plug so yes it does "just slide backwards", you'll need to carefully push the wires and components out of the way first.

Then you'll need to add a 6 pin decoder. I would recommend the Zimo MX617N (£20), or if that's too large then the MX616N is smaller but more expensive (£34).

This assumes that they are in stock anywhere. But if you are patient then they are well worth waiting for, superb motor control plus lots of options to adjust settings to get the best from your loco.

Regards,

John P

• Thanks 1

Thanks @jpendle John. 

Much appreciated. 

I was a bit nervous pushing the wires and capacitors out of the way. But got the blanking plate out gently using a flat dental tool, and installed a Dapol Imperium decoder.

Loco running nicely on the layout now.

Cheers. Andy