Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Norman Hughes

doilum

Sadly, I have to report the sudden passing of our beloved life president. Regular visitors to the Normanton and Pontefract shows will all have their fond memories of a genuine larger than life character, as will exhibition managers who invited his layouts to their show. Behind the loud persona was a great human being who genuinely cared for those around him. I personally owe him a great debt for getting me back into the club fold after a two year absence. He rang work (no personal calls) and managed to sweet talk the receptionist into putting his call through to my office. I was back. 

To Nick, Nan and the rest of his family my condolences. Rest in peace Big Norman.

• Friendly/supportive 7

So very sad to hear of the passing of Norman. We met him many times during our time on the Exhibition circuit, as exhibitors at the Normanton & Pontefract show, as fellow exhibitors at shows all over the country and when he brought his layout to Retford MRE. He was always happy, friendly and a joy to be around. We’re sure many fellow exhibitors will fondly remember the ‘Norm Awards’ which were held as part of the Saturday social evening at the Normanton show. Norman was always on fine form, entertaining the crowd with funny stories and novelty prizes for various unsuspecting club members and visitors. The model railway world has lost a great force for good and we would like to pass on our sincere condolences to his family, friends and members of NPRMS.

Richard and Christine Deas

(Littleborough and Littlewood)

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

This is very sad news. Storming Norman" was a very likable man who added a lot to the hobby. At his "home" show the Saturday night get together included the "normans" for my sins I received a set of soldiers and a plastic tank (I was working at the Barnbow tank factory at the time).

On another note I was driving home one night and encountered a traffic jam.eventually I got to the broken down vehicle.. a lorry, with a very disgruntled Norman stood beside it. I pulled in front and asked if I could help..."get tharself home and fetch me a drink please.." as it happens the recovery truck was close to arriving.. Norman was very apologetic for causing delays.

A great man who will be missed. Thoughts are with his family at this time

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4