Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

1/76 scale non-British layouts?

7 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

I think the Wild West layout you're thinking of was Peter Morris'  HO scale Tombstone and Crockett's Creek. RM's Railway of the month in March 1969 ....

I think the locos and cars were Rivarossi and Airfix (RTR not kit)

The Airfix (reboxed Bachmann really) US outline R-T-R was at least 7 years into the future in 1969. There was a 'Davy Crockett' on the layout though.

4 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

The Airfix (reboxed Bachmann really) US outline R-T-R was at least 7 years into the future in 1969. There was a 'Davy Crockett' on the layout though.

Interesting. Looking at an old catalogue  Most of the locos and stock on the Tombstone and Crocket's Creek were Rivarossi (sold in the US as AHM) most of which were lettered for the Virginia and Truckee. I don't know who produced the 4-6-0 Aztec nor the 2-6-0 Jim Bowie but probably Mantua/Tyco along with the  4-2-4T CP Huntingdon. The clerestory passenger cars certainly look like those that Rivarossi had in a set with their 4-4-0 Genoa though there are others that may have come from American manufacturers.  The freight cars look to be almost all those offered by Rivarossi including the four wheel caboose.  He did have a Tri-ang Davy Crockett but if that was OO rather than HO it would have stuck out like a sore thumb (I once had a Rivarossi SNCF 231E, a lovely model but it was 1:80 scale so just looked wrong against my H0 stock) I did wonder if the 4-4-0 "General"  that appears in the article might have been the Kitmaster model motorised and that may have been 1:76 scale, but I think it was more likely the Tyco version.

I can't make out from the photos in RM what the couplers were but probably the European hinged loop type that Rivarossi fitted to all their stock.

This is probably a bit of a diversion from 1/76 scale non British but it's interesting to know where Tri-ang fitted into all this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Triang’s ‘Transcontinental’ range seemed to exploit the idea that larger overseas loading gauges modelled to 1/87 can be run on British outline 00 layouts looking as if they are models of North American or Antipodean style stock thad had been built to the British loading gauge, so they could be used with Triang bridges and tunnels. 

The Dock Authority diesel shunter is an odd one, released in the Transcontinental range as well as as a UK loco.  I have one, currently being rebuilt with a new jackshaft drive chassis, on my 00 layout, and it is a noticeably bulky beast for what looks to be a small industrial diesel at first sight, a sort of Fowler 0-4-0 on steroids.  It is pretty close to the limits of the loading gauge as a 1/76 model and dwarfs my W4 Peckett.  I believe it is based on a New Zealand locomotive. 

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Premium

Way back in the 1980s I visited France and bought a French model railway magazine there (the title escapes me) and in there was a photo of a model of a "broken nose" SNCF electric built in P4 scale. Sorry I cannot recall any more detail as I have long ago discarded the magazine. I presume that it was scratchbuilt to a very high standard.

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The Dock Authority diesel shunter is an odd one, released in the Transcontinental range as well as as a UK loco.  I have one, currently being rebuilt with a new jackshaft drive chassis, on my 00 layout, and it is a noticeably bulky beast for what looks to be a small industrial diesel at first sight, a sort of Fowler 0-4-0 on steroids.  It is pretty close to the limits of the loading gauge as a 1/76 model and dwarfs my W4 Peckett.  I believe it is based on a New Zealand locomotive. 

In style it appears to be a late 1950s Bagnall. There were indeed some built to 3' 6" gauge for New Zealand as well as for UK indistrial use.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Triang’s ‘Transcontinental’ range seemed to exploit the idea that larger overseas loading gauges modelled to 1/87 can be run on British outline 00 layouts looking as if they are models of North American or Antipodean style stock thad had been built to the British loading gauge, so they could be used with Triang bridges and tunnels.

The snowplow and (I believe) the RDC were particularly well modelled to 1.87. A Canadian modeller, Bob Boudreau modelled several CN and CP plows using Triang models as a base.