Lais decoder +SA bundled package

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

HI,

I had better explain that I realise that other products are available but I am using Lais without issue on at least one third of the locos. Consequently, I want to try their 8-pin decoder with the pre-attached SA to be fitted in the Hornby T9 watercart currently coupled to a temperamental handmade K10 4-4-0 that likes to stall in the only tunnel.*
Any used this combination of Lais components? 

At the moment I have just installed a Zimo Mx616N in a DCCC ready Bachmann N, a pair of tantalums was pre-fitted by John G at YouChoos, it has turned a good loco into a ‘star’ performer. 
Whilst I do not expect the Lais to outperform the Zimo setup, my needs/budget are minimal.

Thanks and StaySafe

*It has to be in the tunnel behind the scenic break……🥴

I am not a fan of Lais decoders but having said that I use them as function only decoders for lighting. Zimo are so much better for motor control. I have used Lais decoders with  Lais stay alive and they work well.

Both Iain. I put Lais  decoders in a couple of old Lima DMUs just to convert them to DCC as a bit of an experiment. The stay alives we’re necessary due to the less than good Lima pick up arrangement. My Bachmann Prairie has a Zimo decoder and Lais stay alive which seems to be an excellent combination.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a combination of LaisDCC and Zimo, but I tend to buy Zimo for anything new now, using the economy ones when I can.

I fitted a LaisDCC into a Lima 156, and it works very well. I also fitted a LaisDCC chip into a Hornby Pendolino (vice a Hornby chip) and it now runs smoother than it ever did.