Detectors

Does anyone please have  - or can point me to - any (reasonably) good photos of point detectors on the S&DJR?  Quite a few appear faintly in the background of published images, but there seem to be very few close-up clear pictures.

Edited by RailWest

On 30/04/2022 at 20:57, RailWest said:

Does anyone please have  - or can point me to - any (reasonably) good photos of point detectors on the S&DJR?  Quite a few appear faintly in the background of published images, but there seem to be very few close-up clear pictures.

I'm doing a lot of S&D photo studying at the moment, but have no idea of what these look like. Can you give me some idea of what to look out for, and where.  I've got loads of picture books.

Peter.

29 minutes ago, Combe Martin said:

I'm doing a lot of S&D photo studying at the moment, but have no idea of what these look like. Can you give me some idea of what to look out for, and where.  I've got loads of picture books.

Peter.

That's the problem - what DID they look like? There were many different style, but I'm unsure which ones were used. However this is a typical BR(WR) example.. I suspect some of the older ones had large weighted cranks on top, which should be more obvious in photos.

detector-3.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Combe Martin said:

So is that part of the point changing mechanism, ie situated actually by the point ?

No, and Yes :-)

I am writing some notes on the subject of the web and will post here when they're done.....not just yet though...

Edited by RailWest

3 hours ago, Combe Martin said:

The Middleton Press  book 'Bournemouth to Evercreech Junction', plate 83, a picture of the point and its mechanism at Henstridge is very 'close up', is it any good ? 

Sadly not, as it dates from a period after all the signals - and hence also the detectors - were removed :-(

As an aside, hopefully a new page about Henstridge will appear later this year....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Combe Martin said:

How about the OPC book, The Somerset & Dorset in Colour by Mike Arlett & David Lockett.  Page 109 lower, of Templecombe No 2 Junction ?

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't got that far along my bookshelf yet!

Quite a nice image if you know what you are looking at, but rather too cluttered IMHO for explaining to the uninitiated. I'm still looking.... There are a few examples of 'weighted' detectors that can be seen in odd places (eg Glastonbury), but again mostly too far away to give a clear image.