Function menu

MOH

Hi,

Took my first leap into DCC sound by purchasing a pre-owned Bachmann class 45 from Rails of Sheffield, unfortunately no list of function capabilities wasn't included so I am hoping some kind soul out there might be able to supply a copy that I can download, as far as I know the sound decoder is of the factory fitted type.

Also, as a complete novice in sound decoders, are there any extra functions on my NCE Power Pro controller?

Is there any other advice I should have?

I know there are far better types of sound decoders but I just wanted a reasonably decent version to start with and if I want to I can consider upgrading later on.

Many thanks.

Something I found useful on PowerCab/PowerPro was to re-program the options button. By default, it sets speed to zero, which I did not find very useful.

I believe this is set in one of the cab parameters. Setting the value to 122 makes the options key a little like a shift, so functions 0-9 then access 10-19 & 20-28. Many sound projects use functions well into the 20s.

It is somewhere in the manual but I believed it has moved around a little as they updated it.

The manual may seem a little daunting, but if it was any simpler, it would not tell you enough.

Thanks Pete for your very swift reply and recognising that I haven't much idea on al of this, I have just had a little test run of the loco and it seems to be performing well, I have rechecked with Rails just now and they confirm the decoder is ESU Loksound version 3 or 31/2?

If anyone can post a functions list that would bea real help.

Many thanks

Knowing the model number might help confirm whether the model was factory fitted with sound or subsequently fitted with sound as an after market product.  I think all of the factory fitted models have codes ending SD - eg XX-XXX SD.

Bachmann have instructions for a number of their models online at:

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/page/instructions

I don't see an older sound fitted Class 45, but there is a sound list for a pre-2017 Class 44, which I'm assuming may be similar.

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/file/Class-44-DCC-Sound-info.pdf

However, this indicates that it has a 4 ohm speaker, and I thought that the Loksound V3.5 decoders used 100 ohm speakers, so it may be that function list is for a V4 Loksound Select.

Thanks Dungrange,

This is the code on the box:    32-678DS, is this the one you mentioned might be helpful?

Also it says:   Class 45 Diesel D55 Royal Signals BR green with sound

Many thanks

The DS at the end of the code does mean that sound was factory fitted.  It appears that the model dates from 2008.

I've just looked for that loco on E-bay and found a listing that gives the F keys as:

F0 - Locomotive Directional Lighting - Latch

F1 - Sound on/off - Latch

F2 - Single Horn - Trigger

F3 - Double Horn - Trigger

F4 - Air brake - Trigger

F5 - Notching up - Trigger

F6 - Notching down - Trigger

F7 - Shunting speed on/off acceleration on/off - Latch

F8 - AUX1 - eg cab lights (if applicable) - Latch

F11 - Volume control scrolls through four settings - Trigger.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354028342677?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

Hope that helps.

Thank you both Bill and David, in fairness I bought the model knowing it was not the latest version but as I said before this is my first go at DCC sound and I am really pleased with the loco so far,

Again pardon my ignorance, but what do the "Latch" and "Trigger" terms mean and how do I use those please?

Also my NCE Pro Cab is set at 0-28 speed steps but having read some of the stuff posted on here by you good people I believe it's recommended to switch to 0-128 speed steps, if so how do I go about making that switchover on the NCE and what are the benefits?

Many thanks

Martin

6 hours ago, MOH said:

Again pardon my ignorance, but what do the "Latch" and "Trigger" terms mean and how do I use those please?

"Latch", means that it is a function that is activated when you press the relevant F button to turn it on and then you have to press the same F button again to turn it off.  That is, it is effectively an on/off switch.  This would apply to, for example, the general engine sounds on F1.  Hit F1 and the sound will play continuously until you turn it off by hitting F1 again.

"Trigger" means that it is a sound that is triggered when you press the F button and it will stop when you let go or when the sound has finished playing.  You then need to press the F button to trigger the sound again.  This would apply to, for example the horn on F2.  Press F2 and the horn will sound.  Press F2 again and the horn will sound again.

The NCE will have default settings for each of the F keys, but not having an NCE Powercab, I'm not sure how to check or change the settings.

6 hours ago, MOH said:

I believe it's recommended to switch to 0-128 speed steps, ... ... what are the benefits?

Smoother control.  The locomotive will be stationary at speed step zero and at maximum speed at speed step 28 or 128.  If using 28 speed steps, then each increment of the controller will increase the speed by about 4%.  If using 128 speed steps, then each increment of the controller will increase the speed by less than 1%.

My gratitude to all who have generously responded and posted instructions/manuals etc., I really appreciate your giving your time to help answer what must, to you, be blindingly obvious queries but proves again the terrific comradeship on this forum and the hobby in general.

Many thanks

Martin

• Like 1