Dapol 4D-011-002D Streamlined Railcar W10 in BR lined chocolate and cream - DCC Fitted

Sol

It arrived in quick time from the UK - looks nice but certainly not the same type of drive as other Dapol DMU's

tried to re-programme address to 18 from default 3, the decoder took it as the loco moved a bit but did not respond to the being asked to move - it still was on address 3

but it likes long address OK but the main problem are the flanges - doesn't like Peco Code 75 track work, Code 100 is OK

has any one else found this problem?

While I have sorted out the addressing problem. I now find this...

does not like code 75 track at all  because as it stands, it only runs without any bumps & jumps through Code 100.

yet another Dapol DMU that I have  4D-009-HAT06 Class 12 bubble car has no problems even with Shinohara Code 70 track

Using a NMRA track/wheel gauge, one can see that the flanges on Class 121 DMU are smaller than those on the GWR railcar W10.

And Hattons from whom I got both DMU & GWR railcar have wiped their hands & referred me to Dapol

Edited by Sol
add last sentence

Dapol suggested I contact their parts supplier DCCsupplies which I did and they only have complete bogies so I responded...

Thanks Richard but no certainty that the flanges of those bogies will allow good running through Peco code 75 turnouts & diamond crossings.
 The GWR Railcar was on working display tonight on an operating session with 4 mates & they noticed how it bumped through the turnouts & they too checked the flange depth & back to back  compared against other Dapol DMUs with the NMRA gauge & said " yes those flanges on the railcar are crap - bet they are not NMRA RP 25/110  recommendations!"  That NMRA recommendation is almost identical to
https://doubleogauge.com/intermediate-wheels/

I did ask Dapol this

Is it because this railcar was an earlier model & the wheel sets have now been upgraded?
So a  bogie from the same manufacturer has different wheel standards ?

and the answer from

Kevin Grindley

Sales Admin Manager

Dapol Ltd

was

Sorry but I do not know the specifics but, as we use more than 1 factory in China I suppose  it is possible that they might be slightly different.

So it seems Dapol have no idea of what standards they use.

• RMweb Gold

It sounds more like that one person doesn't know what's going rather than Dapol as a whole, but either way, it's not a good message to be putting out.

The flanges on the Express parcels van from Dapol using the same bogies, has finer flanges than my railcar - even visually, the difference is obvious. Tried it on an unballasted layout - yes OK but with any slight ballast sticking up, the flanges find them  - the only motive power unit of my fleet of 28 that does this.

• 2 weeks later...

All the manufacturers use a range of factories in China.  It's why you get, at random, cool white, warm white or even yellow front lighting on Farish diesels.  I don't think ISO 9000 or the Deming Cycle ever made it to China, and you get what you're given.

• Agree 1

Replacement bogies arrived today from DCC Supplies under warranty & even without using a gauge, one can see that the flanges on these are finer than the originals - just now have to work out how to get into works ...