Footage Detectives - Talking Pictures TV (Channel 82) Sunday 19th March

I'm a regular viewer of this fascinating programme (which often has several old transport related film clips) and last Sunday they featured a model railway film.  Probably dating from the early 50's it featured a passenger train running through some basic (by today's standards anyway!) scenery.  The train appeared to be a Graham Farish Black 5 pulling a train of Farish 4-wheel coaches along with a goods train of Farish stock.  I reckon it's the first time I've seen a GF Black 5 in action. the programme can be seen on the TPTV website 'Encore' section where all the episodes can be viewed.

I missed this series last Sunday but plan to watch it on catch-up

Iam amazed with the number of railway scenes filmed in the 60's while watching this excellent channel. Recently this last week the "Saint" had a chase in a breakdown crane yard, the "baddie" got killed when foot got stuck in points, and a short film about a gang using the noise from a nearby  Black 5 to break into a warehouse

Found it in the end! 

Farish locomotives do run once/if you can persuade them to start!

A real feast of old goodies! A Dinky lorry lurking in the background, a Liliput tractor nearly gets hit by the train and assorted Master Model figures.

I asume you weren't supposed to notice the shot of the Queen Mary in the middle of the commercial for the Queen Elizabeth! (Not that most of the viewers would have been in a financial position to avail themselves of her services!)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

On 23/03/2023 at 22:26, Il Grifone said:

Found it in the end! 

Farish locomotives do run once/if you can persuade them to start!

A real feast of old goodies! A Dinky lorry lurking in the background, a Liliput tractor nearly gets hit by the train and assorted Master Model figures.

I asume you weren't supposed to notice the shot of the Queen Mary in the middle of the commercial for the Queen Elizabeth! (Not that most of the viewers would have been in a financial position to avail themselves of her services!)

The odd one can be persueded to start but it needed a full voltage boost from a Powermaster.It also objected violently to Hornby Dublo 3 rail points after i fitted it with a Marklin skate.

Ray.

• Like 2

My G.P.5 is part way through receiving an Airfix motor in her tender.

My Farish King has part of the drive mechanism U/J missing. I was going to make a replacement part, but may stick a motor in the locomotive instead.

It's finding the time to do it....   for example tomorrow I have to waste all day with a trek into London to visit H.M. Passport office. A short appointment, but hours of travel. (At least it's free with my bus pass!)

Is it the long version of the Märklin skate? It's probably shorting to the point blades. My 3 rail Tri-ang DMU has the short version and never gave any problems.