Clayton D8568 (almost) Back in Action

Bernard Lamb

Clayton D8568 has been in the works at Chinnor for the past eight years. Yesterday she had a trial run prior to appearing at the Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway Diesel Gala today. In true Clayton style she suffered a mechanical failure. She was in the yard and I was presented with an orange vest and allowed to go and take a couple of photos. She does look rather smart. Fond memories as I used to work very close to the Hemelite works.

Bernard

post-149-1281273976_thumb.jpg

post-149-128127401824_thumb.jpg

post-149-128127405424_thumb.jpg

post-149-128127421914_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Problems with the turbocharger it was taken out today after a difficult time and will go back to workshop for reassembly. Admire the guys working on the loco they have achieved a miricale with this loco,also a point was being repaired as it was spreading the gauge and a clamp was to be fitted,being achieved by nine men offering different ideas!!!

Just one point that I have noticed. Imsforever might know who to ask about it or there must be some experts on here who know about such things.

In it's previous life at Chinnor it carried no multiple coupling indication. Now it shows blue star. According to Marsden and Fenn Claytons were red diamond for D8500 to D8587 and blue star for D8588 to D8616.

Bernard

Archived