York - Shrewsbury TPO

WhiteRoseRambler

I saw the York - Shrewsbury TPO a couple of times in the 80s (84/86?) usually when waiting for the Nightrider to KX but was always more interested in the loco used (Class 47/4 I seem to remember) than the coaches. Can anyone provide me with the details of what coaches were used. Am I correct in thinking that a single passenger coach was conveyed along with the postal wagons?

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Chris

I travelled on it once from Leeds to Crewe, the passenger accommodation was just one BSK on that occasion, I remember distinctly because all the seats were taken and I travelled sitting on the floor in the cage. IIRC some vehicles were detached at Stalybridge (for Liverpool?).

• RMweb Premium

Not quite in period, but as well as using the train several times in the eighties, I travelled on it in April 1963 (as an 11 year old with my dad). We'd done a day trip from Stalybridge to Garsdale and back via Leeds. We came back from Skipton on the evening Glasgow to Leeds and then waited for the York to Swansea TPO (it went to Swansea in those days and later to Aberystwyth). The train came in from York behind 60140 and D172, which were replaced by a pair of Jubilees - 45635 and 45708. The train was routed via the "New Line" avoiding Dewsbury and the locos had great difficulty on the climb through (I think)Birstall Tunnel. At Stalybridge 42287 took over the liverpool portion.

Wonderful train !!!

From memory 1E24 was 2250 Shrewsbury-York and was a 47/4 off a Euston - Salop. The York stock was shunted into the station and was worked as far as Crewe by the 47. There were a number of BGs and TPO vehicles and generally 1 SK. All the times I rode it the electric loco forward from Crewe to Stockport and vice versa, was an 86.

1M41 2230 York -Shrewsbury was an ER boilered kickout from York shed. In the early 1980s period that I rode it, the loco was anything from a 31 to a deltic, but mostly a peak. The ER diesel came off at Stockport and returned to York on 1E24.

A balancing 47/4 worked 1M41 from Crewe to Salop, and then I think became the loco to work the Up train to Euston, as far as Wolverhampton.

Not quite in period, but as well as using the train several times in the eighties, I travelled on it in April 1963 (as an 11 year old with my dad). We'd done a day trip from Stalybridge to Garsdale and back via Leeds. We came back from Skipton on the evening Glasgow to Leeds and then waited for the York to Swansea TPO (it went to Swansea in those days and later to Aberystwyth). The train came in from York behind 60140 and D172, which were replaced by a pair of Jubilees - 45635 and 45708. The train was routed via the "New Line" avoiding Dewsbury and the locos had great difficulty on the climb through (I think)Birstall Tunnel. At Stalybridge 42287 took over the liverpool portion.

Interesting information -- not the same train but does anyone know the consist of the Bristol - Newcastle TPO during the 1960's period?

Out of period, but on several occasions the Deltic would work through to Crewe. I was power controller at Stoke until 1975, and can remember at least three occosions, including one right through to Salop.

If it were anyone else, I'd have dismissed a deltic through to Salop as totally out of hand, but a power controller would obviously know and remember.

A bit like the hymek going to Goole or Grimsby (or wherever it went) and my visit to Totton (Hants) on 20029/20170, and a mate of mine taking a 31/4 to Wool for some stranded stock. Odd things did happen, mostly at nights when the photographers were in bed. Like the time I sent a pair of BRT 20s to Liverpool Lime St to drag an RRC class 312 to Longsight via Crewe (run round).

Sorry to deviate from the OP

• 7 years later...

Holy thread bounce! I was a driver at Manchester Victoria during the late 80's, sadly I don't recall the exact formation but I'm pretty certain by the time by the time Victoria picked up 1M41 did not include any passenger accommodation. In my time the dropping of the van at Staylebridge had finished (train ran DOO) and a Crewe driver took over from Stockport. At some point around 1988/89 the train was rerouted to run via Guide Bridge direct into Piccadilly and then there was a major shake up of TPO as RES took over. Power was nearly always 47/4 with a very occasional 31/4 my only experience of odd power was when the booked loco had failed at Heaton, a coal sector 37 in full livery was commmandered, sorry can't remember the number, but it did cause a headache when I left it at Piccadilly .

SHREWSBURY - YORK TPO
Shrewsbury 22.50 - Crewe 23.26/00.11 - Stockport - Huddersfield - Leeds -
York 02.50

YORK - SHREWSBURY TPO
York 22.34 - Leeds - Huddersfield - Stockport - Crewe 00.11/02.25 -
Shrewsbury 03.02.

Passenger trains throughout. Sets work east and west on alternate nights.

Somewhere I have a sighting or two, with the vehicles involved, I'll have to turf them out.

Brian R

Cheers it's a pity I didn't pay more attention at the time, to busy stuffing my face with fish'n'chips from one of several near the station! It was a top link job, travel out on the cushions when the Liverpool/Newcastle service was still loco hauled. By the time I'd strolled back from the chippy the train was usually in platform 1, so enjoy the supper in the cab. Christmas usually meant extra vans being added to the rear, train would arrive as normal shunt into 1 for loading then I seem to remember drawing out and across to the down yard south of Holgate bridge waiting whilst extra vans(2?) were shunted to plat2 then propelling back to couple ready for departure. Also on a couple of occassions running back via Leeds, Wakefield Kirkgate(no stop) then Huddesfield. Happy days and being payed for it!

From my notebook, sighted at Crewe overnight 19th / 20th August, 1987.

47599+18988+84024+80307+80311+84185 (1E24 arr Plat.7 2225hrs ?)

08739 added 92014, onto rear of 1E24 (Shrewsury-York TPO) at Crewe

47463+84281+80314+80310+80515+4873 (York – Shrewsbury TPO, thro’ Plat.5)

Brian R

Archived