Whatever happened to Hursley?

Guest jonte

Another Welchy anecdote..........

I was admiring his Slaters brake van, so being a good salesman he sells me one.

All built apart from some of the brake gear which I couldn't fathom out (simple copper see) so off I goes to the small shop with the even smaller shop keeper for some sound advice which was...........

"Ohhhh you cant see all that so I left it out!":lol:

Top tip from a top man!

I STILL miss Martyn and the shop, happy times indeed.

Another Welchy anecdote..........

I was admiring his Slaters brake van, so being a good salesman he sells me one.

All built apart from some of the brake gear which I couldn't fathom out (simple copper see) so off I goes to the small shop with the even smaller shop keeper for some sound advice which was...........

"Ohhhh you cant see all that so I left it out!":lol:

Top tip from a top man!

I STILL miss Martyn and the shop, happy times indeed.

Very witty, Black Rat - I like it :lol:

Sums it up really: it's all about the creation of atmosphere and continuity across the whole spectrum; everything done well rather than exceptional in parts and not so well in others e.g. outstanding backscene versus intermittent running.

I know, it's been said a hundred times before, but this just goes to prove the point.

Thanks again for sharing that witty little episode.

Jonte :)

I'm sure if digital cameras, the modern interweb and forums like RMweb had been around for the MRJ show then the 'net would be full of pictures of Hursley. Just goes to show how times change.

Indeed, 2ManySpams.

Coincidentally, having started this thread in homage to Hursley - a thoroughly inspirational layout I wish I'd seen but sadly didn't - I remember travelling to the Preston show a couple of years ago (month of January as I recall) solely to see an equally inspirational layout that went under the title: 'Treneglos', having discovered the layout's wonderful website featuring the build and photos from some of the shows attended. Well, I wasn't disappointed and spent most of the day loitering about the front amazed at the overall standard of stock, scenery and relaible running - and all with proprietary items - okay apart from the track!!!! Anyway, I was extremely grateful when one of your generous team members invited me behind the scenes to examine the stock, couplings and cassettes at close quarters - very kind (may have been yourself?).

This was closely followed by an inspection of the scenery by the elder gentleman of the team who I think was responsible for building the scenery. The attention to detail was exquisite - I seem to recall he'd used Jarvis(?) ballast mixed with other scenic scatter material to replicate the ballast used by the North Cornwall Railway which was a sort of washed out orange. He even made mention of the quarry from where the real ballast was obtained(Oakhampton/Moretonhampstead?) Anyway, I was extremely impressed and it was well worth the journey. May I wish you all well.

• Like 1

has anyone got any pics.

Squinting at this cover seems to be about the only photo online I can see!

http://www.modelrail.../issue.php?s=40

I'm sure if digital cameras, the modern interweb and forums like RMweb had been around for the MRJ show then the 'net would be full of pictures of Hursley. Just goes to show how times change.

As I mentioned earlier, I have some reasonable VHS footage from the occasion (Hursley, North Shields, Dunwich and other layouts from the show) but no means at the moment to get it into digital format to put on YouTube (I can transfer it to DVD is all, in fact I should do that anyway).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Barry was heavily involved that weekend with Inkerman Street as well as Lydham Heath - I recall him setting up Inkerman street with saw in hand as they had to make it "fit" the awkward spot that the layout was in - another example of just how crammed that show was. At one stage it was virtually impossible to move at the bottom end of the hall due to the Hursley queue!

Inkerman Street wasnt the only one that needed a saw.

I'm sure I remember that the white screens surrounding North Shields had a rough hole cut in it, and about four-inches of cassette fiddle-yard was poking out!

Great day,

Dave.T

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, 2ManySpams.

Coincidentally, having started this thread in homage to Hursley - a thoroughly inspirational layout I wish I'd seen but sadly didn't - I remember travelling to the Preston show a couple of years ago (month of January as I recall) solely to see an equally inspirational layout that went under the title: 'Treneglos', having discovered the layout's wonderful website featuring the build and photos from some of the shows attended. Well, I wasn't disappointed and spent most of the day loitering about the front amazed at the overall standard of stock, scenery and relaible running - and all with proprietary items - okay apart from the track!!!! Anyway, I was extremely grateful when one of your generous team members invited me behind the scenes to examine the stock, couplings and cassettes at close quarters - very kind (may have been yourself?).

This was closely followed by an inspection of the scenery by the elder gentleman of the team who I think was responsible for building the scenery. The attention to detail was exquisite - I seem to recall he'd used Jarvis(?) ballast mixed with other scenic scatter material to replicate the ballast used by the North Cornwall Railway which was a sort of washed out orange. He even made mention of the quarry from where the real ballast was obtained(Oakhampton/Moretonhampstead?) Anyway, I was extremely impressed and it was well worth the journey. May I wish you all well.

Thanks Jonte - very kind.

I suspect the chap that invited you behind the scenes was me - particularly if discussion turned to Bulleids, coaches or couplings! I was responsible for much of the green tarty, fluffy stuff and a fair few of the buildings. The 'elder gentleman*' was John, 'Old Gringo' of this parish - he came up with the original idea, painted the backscene, came about the mix for the ballast and hand-built all the fencing.

The member missing from your line-up was Damian (indomitable026 of this parish and owner of Diesels in the Duchy). Damian did most of the often un-sung work - boards, electrics and displays etc - the sort of stuff that involved not very subtle power tools and large hitting sticks :D .

Be sure to say hello again if you see Treneglos or Diesels in the Duchy on the circuit.

All the best, Chris

*One of the better descriptions he's had!

• 9 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Central Hall was simply dreadful as an exhibition venue. Put me off going to exhibitions for years! Good conference venue though and I have some very happy memories of an event there in my late teens :-)

Is there still a need for a show of this type? I admit to being very disappointed by most of the shows I go to. One or two layouts that I feel are worth seeing and then a lot that should really stay at home. I have not managed to get to RailEx in past years but it does sound good.

Would it be viable? It is not going to appeal so much to the general public. Would there be enough visitors paying the entry fee to make it work? Enough traders? Very understandably, a lot of the one-man artisan firms have stopped doing shows.

Here in The Midlands, we do have a lot of good exhibition venues and access is good from across the country. If people think that there is enough demand, I am happy to look into it more. It takes time to put together a good show so we would be looking at Autumn 2021 at the earliest.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Central Hall was simply dreadful as an exhibition venue. Put me off going to exhibitions for years! Good conference venue though and I have some very happy memories of an event there in my late teens :-)

Is there still a need for a show of this type? I admit to being very disappointed by most of the shows I go to. One or two layouts that I feel are worth seeing and then a lot that should really stay at home. I have not managed to get to RailEx in past years but it does sound good.

Would it be viable? It is not going to appeal so much to the general public. Would there be enough visitors paying the entry fee to make it work? Enough traders? Very understandably, a lot of the one-man artisan firms have stopped doing shows.

Here in The Midlands, we do have a lot of good exhibition venues and access is good from across the country. If people think that there is enough demand, I am happy to look into it more. It takes time to put together a good show so we would be looking at Autumn 2021 at the earliest.

Did you mean to post this here?!

On 03/12/2010 at 18:37, 10800 said:

no means at the moment to get it into digital format to put on YouTube (I can transfer it to DVD is all, in fact I should do that anyway).

If you can transfer it to DVD then it should be a straightforward job to rip it from there to MP4.  There are a number of freeware offerings available for that kind of task.  You need a computer, and a DVD drive (an external USB drive is fine) and some software to do the ripping.  I use Handbrake and it really is very straightforward to use: point it at the DVD in the drive, tell it which programme on the DVD you want to rip and click start.  You can experiment with picture quality settings and the like as well but the basic process is very simple.

I reckon that, done properly, the quality would be indistinguishable from digitising directly from the VHS.  Since the video on the DVD will be in digital form (mpeg video) anyway at least you're not adding another analog-digital conversion in to the process, just transcoding from one digital format to another.  Assuming that the DVD would be created from the VHS by recording from one to the other, I would hazard a guess that the main determinant of quality in the final product would be the circuitry that digitises the analog video signal from the VHS player and puts it on the DVD.

• RMweb Premium

This thread reminded me of going off to London for the M.R.J. show and the wait to get in. I think I waited over 2 hours or more and when I got in couldn't see much anyway. The idea was a sound one but the location was totally unsuitable. 

I remembered that I had put my tickets in the back of an old book and they were still there when I went to look. 

Does that make me sad or what ?

image.jpeg

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

If you can transfer it to DVD then it should be a straightforward job to rip it from there to MP4.  There are a number of freeware offerings available for that kind of task.  You need a computer, and a DVD drive (an external USB drive is fine) and some software to do the ripping.  I use Handbrake and it really is very straightforward to use: point it at the DVD in the drive, tell it which programme on the DVD you want to rip and click start.  You can experiment with picture quality settings and the like as well but the basic process is very simple.

I reckon that, done properly, the quality would be indistinguishable from digitising directly from the VHS.  Since the video on the DVD will be in digital form (mpeg video) anyway at least you're not adding another analog-digital conversion in to the process, just transcoding from one digital format to another.  Assuming that the DVD would be created from the VHS by recording from one to the other, I would hazard a guess that the main determinant of quality in the final product would be the circuitry that digitises the analog video signal from the VHS player and puts it on the DVD.

Sadly the original tape has gone missing :cry: