Ex LMS 42' GUV when were they withdrawn

I have one finished in early BR livery - Crimson/Cream.

Is 30-5379 prefixed DE? The number series would suggest a DM departmental coach - although neither the Departmental site, or the list on http://www.lmsca.org.uk/lms-coaches/departmental-coach-list.php have this one.

There are a few photographs of these vans in http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c1162812.html, including in engineers use.

Paul Bartlett

Thanks Paul,

It's a typo error, (needs glasses) DM395929 is the correct number on the van.

But I doubt it's a genuine number, probably a number Lima made up.

K9-70

DS239 :

Coachman,may I ask,what is wrong with the existing Lima roof? [not including the easily replaced vents]

I've no idea. Never handled one. My earlier comment concerned extruded aluminium roofs that are made for 9' wide coaches. I have carried out some experiments and I think a GUV that is etched a fraction above its official width just might pass muster.

I looked on on ebay but didnt like the thick window pillars. But thanks for the links Bernard TPM and Eastwestdivide.

Thanks Paul,

K9-70

Just found the Larkin book. The photo is on Page 64 of BR Departmental Rolling Stock, and is indeed of DM395929, labelled 'Air Compressor Van', and taken at Wigston in Leicestershire.

The sides look to be the same as the Lima van, and with no tumblehome. However, the roof is much higher and more rounded, a bit like the GWR 'Monster'- it also lacks ventilators. The ends have been rebuilt to have a pair of doors, totalling about 2/3rd of the width, and reaching to cantrail level. Larkin suggests that it could have been built as an 'Aeroplane Van'.

Thanks Paul,

K9-70

Just found the Larkin book. The photo is on Page 64 of BR Departmental Rolling Stock, and is indeed of DM395929, labelled 'Air Compressor Van', and taken at Wigston in Leicestershire.

The sides look to be the same as the Lima van, and with no tumblehome. However, the roof is much higher and more rounded, a bit like the GWR 'Monster'- it also lacks ventilators. The ends have been rebuilt to have a pair of doors, totalling about 2/3rd of the width, and reaching to cantrail level. Larkin suggests that it could have been built as an 'Aeroplane Van'.

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I was wrong then (hangs head in shame) is there a date for the photograph?

Ref; Aeroplane van,

The LMS built six aeroplane vans, one in 1927, Wdn 1942, plus five in 1929 1st Wdn 1945 and the last Wdn 1968.

The above description matches the photo on pg 205 in the book LMS Coaches an illustrated history by Jenkinson & Essery,

I wonder if this is the van that Larkin is refering to?

K9-70

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkk :shout_mini:

;)

Failing that take the roof drawing down to the local chippy (wood not fish) and get a profile made and some wooden roof cut. You won't get a nice curved ceiling inside but if you hate rolling brass roofs sufficiently it's another method that works. Not quite sure what you'd do with the rest of a typical minimal order - make lots perhaps ;)

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I was wrong then (hangs head in shame) is there a date for the photograph?

Ref; Aeroplane van,

The LMS built six aeroplane vans, one in 1927, Wdn 1942, plus five in 1929 1st Wdn 1945 and the last Wdn 1968.

The above description matches the photo on pg 205 in the book LMS Coaches an illustrated history by Jenkinson & Essery,

I wonder if this is the van that Larkin is refering to?

K9-70

Apols for correcting you.

The above refers to Aeroplane vans to D1880 which were basically bogie versions of the Midland CCT and built on redundanr MR 40' coach underframes

The 10 -D2023 'suitable for Aeroplane Traffic' vans were built in 1938 and were 'obviously derived' from D1870

A note on the drawing states 'Wheels not to exceed 3'-6" Dia on the tread'

Essary and Jenkinson 'LMS Staqndard Coaching Stock' General Introduction and Non-Passenger Vehicles

Pages 96 -98

HTH

Archived