Converting a class 27 to a 27/2

Hi Simon & Andrew,

Thank you for your help on this, 27059 looks superb and I like your use of the nose horn grilles for the round grilles, I have a spare Lima 37 body that should do for the other grilles. So unless Shawplan do a detail kit before I get started it looks like a Lima 37 body for the chop.:D Seeing your 27059 rang a bell with me, I have a few pics of her tarted up at the Basingstoke Rail event. The loco was going to work a railtour about this time and I was booked to go on it, unfortunately it was cancelled.

At the moment 27206 or 27208 are favourites as I have a pic of both. 27208 has the seem across the front of its nose so that would save me some work. oth loco's have the droplight cab windows and the model I have looked at has these.

Thanks again cheers Peter.

Morning Peter,

No talk of snow from me, clear blue skies and 18c here in Lisbon...!

A Lima 37 sounds like a reasonable donor for the grills, those fine trio in the centre of the body or the smaller single grill at the No.2 end have the same fine mesh required. I only used the Bachmann 25 bits as I had several kicking around as spares.

To help, here are 2 views of 27/2s, both taken during the same week in August 1985. Both locos seemed to employed working engineers trips from Perth during the week.

First 27206 at Perth, note no beading over the cab front, droplight windows, ETH block support retained and appears to still have the orange pipework eminating from the conduit along the underframe.

27206lightengineperth.jpg

Second, 27204 wheeling south through Dunkeld again during the dry, hot (!) summer of 1985. Seems to be in a similar condition to '206 apart from retaining the beading and has had ploughs fitted. Might be a bit of a challenge to replicate the exhaust port surround flapping around in the wind!

2720402.jpg

The first class 27 I saw and took a pic of just had to be modelled. I did this back in 1986.

Cheers Peter.

Happily 27005 is still with us. It shares exhibition space at Bo'ness with my current full scale project, Swindon Inter-City trailer buffet first Sc79443. The preserved DMU is an even bigger job than the MTK one (but it's a close run thing :lol: ).

http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/10018.htm

Morning Peter,

No talk of snow from me, clear blue skies and 18c here in Lisbon...!

A Lima 37 sounds like a reasonable donor for the grills, those fine trio in the centre of the body or the smaller single grill at the No.2 end have the same fine mesh required. I only used the Bachmann 25 bits as I had several kicking around as spares.

To help, here are 2 views of 27/2s, both taken during the same week in August 1985. Both locos seemed to employed working engineers trips from Perth during the week.

First 27206 at Perth, note no beading over the cab front, droplight windows, ETH block support retained and appears to still have the orange pipework eminating from the conduit along the underframe.

27206lightengineperth.jpg

Second, 27204 wheeling south through Dunkeld again during the dry, hot (!) summer of 1985. Seems to be in a similar condition to '206 apart from retaining the beading and has had ploughs fitted. Might be a bit of a challenge to replicate the exhaust port surround flapping around in the wind!

2720402.jpg

Looks like 27206 is at the top of my list as my pic shows the other side.:D 27204 is the only pic I have seen of a 27/2 with ploughs, I noticed the overhead warning flashes vary between loco's too. I wonder if the exhust port made it back to the depot. imagine that flying off.:O

Cheers Peter.

Happily 27005 is still with us. It shares exhibition space at Bo'ness with my current full scale project, Swindon Inter-City trailer buffet first Sc79443. The preserved DMU is an even bigger job than the MTK one (but it's a close run thing :lol: ).

Hi John,

Next time I am in the UK i am coming for some Haulage on 27005, the wife and kid might not be to impressed, but it's now on my to do list.:D

Cheers Peter.

Hi John,

Next time I am in the UK i am coming for some Haulage on 27005, the wife and kid might not be to impressed, but it's now on my to do list.:D

Cheers Peter.

You'll be made very welcome Peter but don't be in too much of a hurry. 27005 is currently stored out of service, awaiting its turn in the workshop for attention to bodywork corrosion and a top end overhaul. Sister locomotive 27001 is serviceable however and sees regular use at Bo'ness. Both are currently in BR blue.

Keep an eye on this website for news: http://www.srpsdiesel.com/

Hi Simon & Andrew,

Thank you for your help on this, 27059 looks superb and I like your use of the nose horn grilles for the round grilles, I have a spare Lima 37 body that should do for the other grilles. So unless Shawplan do a detail kit before I get started it looks like a Lima 37 body for the chop.:D Seeing your 27059 rang a bell with me, I have a few pics of her tarted up at the Basingstoke Rail event. The loco was going to work a railtour about this time and I was booked to go on it, unfortunately it was cancelled.

At the moment 27206 or 27208 are favourites as I have a pic of both. 27208 has the seem across the front of its nose so that would save me some work. oth loco's have the droplight cab windows and the model I have looked at has these.

Thanks again cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

BEfore you attack the Lima 37 (and there's no reason not to!) let me have a look in scrap box. No reply by this time tomorrow means I have drawn a blank.

Si

We have a kit built 126 in the roster for Airthrey Park/Devilla Colliery. It will run at Stafford show! Very popular. biggrin.gif

Nice! 126s are always popular with me :D

Oops, better push and pull this thread back on topic ...

Not quite about 27/2s, but received a request for photos of 26/ 27s showing the roof area. Following is about the best I can come up with.

First, 27053 getting away from Cupar in August 1986. Note the loco has the secondman's cab door plated over at the far end, had never noticed this on '053 (tho 007/008 did).

27053186071140886cupar.jpg[/url

And next we have 27055 trundling north out of Millerhill in October the same year

27055186163221086miller.jpg

And a real oldie and odd one... 5303 heads north through Newcastle in November 1973...! My dad's photo, I was 2 at the time.

26003173001011173newcas.jpg

Excellent photos, very useful to me right now!

First, 27053 getting away from Cupar in August 1986. Note the loco has the secondman's cab door plated over at the far end, had never noticed this on '053 (tho 007/008 did).

I've just been reviewing observations in my old diaries and 27053 had a plated-over cab door window in its previous guise of 27109 (seen at Glasgow Shields Road, 28 April 1980). Another one was 27105, which I saw at Glasgow Central with the driver's door window at No 1 end plated over on 18 March 1983. This loco became 27049 later that same year.

Good replies guys and coincidentally...

Both sides of 27049, Millherill October 1986, firstly the side with bodyside windows plated, but neither of the cabs doors

27049186139211086miller.jpg[/url

Then the other side, again with cab doors as per normal. No its wasn't my dad in the photo of 5303, but yes, thats me in front of '049...!

27049186140211086miller.jpg

Hi Si,

Keep the pics coming, it's all useful stuff for anyone modelling 27s, I noticed all your pics so far have locos with the slightly larger numbers placed on the bodyside. I am sure I have a pic somewhere of 27014 with standard size numbers under the cab window. Here is a question did the railfreight grey class 26s have the slightly larger numbers in black it looks like my Heljan class 26 has them?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Si,

Keep the pics coming, it's all useful stuff for anyone modelling 27s, I noticed all your pics so far have locos with the slightly larger numbers placed on the bodyside. I am sure I have a pic somewhere of 27014 with standard size numbers under the cab window. Here is a question did the railfreight grey class 26s have the slightly larger numbers in black it looks like my Heljan class 26 has them?

Cheers Peter.

One point of order... That Mancunian 'Si' doesn't have any such photos of 26s & 27s as he was too busy chasing Buckets and Rats around the nether regions of the LMR... Its Andrew in Lisbon posting these images - we use the same account under the auspices of Airthrey Park & Devila Colliery owners.

After around 1980ish most/all locos overhauled/repainted at St Rollox got the larger style numbers when applied on standard BR blue livery to 08s, 20s (not just ScR allocated ones), some 25s, 26s and 27s. Very few 27s retained the smaller standard sized numbers after 82/83ish until the end of their career. From memory, Derby repainted 27014 & 27041 and hence had small numbers applied Derby-style on the cab-sides, whilst they also renumbered 27104 to 27048 by removing the 1 and applying an 8 at the end, without a repaint and retaining existing small bodyside numbers. There are probably a couple of other early withdrawal 27s with standard TOPS numbers until the end, but not many - 27006, 009, 011, 013, 015, 027 (sans serif style), 031, 035, 039, 043, 044, 201, 202, but almost all the others had the St Rollox larger style. I'd be interested myself in a definative list.

As for the Railfreight Grey 26s, all received standard sized black numbers - there were no St Rollox larger numerals on 26s as far as i know. A couple of 37s did get them (37373 & 379 for example) when renumbered into the 373xx series, whilst a couple of 47s also got larger ones (some hand painted) after overhaul at Crewe (47050 & 47280 perhaps?)

So, some more images...

A complete wreck of a 27, 27041, awaits the road at Carlisle in February 1985. I was invited for a cab ride on this as far as Dunston, along the Tyne Valley line - a rare working and recall that every single panel and window in it seemed to rattle, vibrate and generally seem on its last legs. Note the standard sized numerals on the cabside.

27041185009210285carlis.jpg

Next, Railfreight 26041 stands next to Dutch 26002, withdrawn at Inverness in November 1992 - note standard sized white numbers on both locos.

26002192739281192invern.jpg

And to prove some locos did get larger black numbers, Motherwell's 37373 leads 37379 through Birtley, south of Tyne Yard with a cement train from Eastgate in July 1992.

37373270792birtley.jpg

A in Lx

One point of order... That Mancunian 'Si' doesn't have any such photos of 26s & 27s as he was too busy chasing Buckets and Rats around the nether regions of the LMR... Its Andrew in Lisbon posting these images - we use the same account under the auspices of Airthrey Park & Devila Colliery owners.

After around 1980ish most/all locos overhauled/repainted at St Rollox got the larger style numbers when applied on standard BR blue livery to 08s, 20s (not just ScR allocated ones), some 25s, 26s and 27s. Very few 27s retained the smaller standard sized numbers after 82/83ish until the end of their career. From memory, Derby repainted 27014 & 27041 and hence had small numbers applied Derby-style on the cab-sides, whilst they also renumbered 27104 to 27048 by removing the 1 and applying an 8 at the end, without a repaint and retaining existing small bodyside numbers. There are probably a couple of other early withdrawal 27s with standard TOPS numbers until the end, but not many - 27006, 009, 011, 013, 015, 027 (sans serif style), 031, 035, 039, 043, 044, 201, 202, but almost all the others had the St Rollox larger style. I'd be interested myself in a definative list.

As for the Railfreight Grey 26s, all received standard sized black numbers - there were no St Rollox larger numerals on 26s as far as i know. A couple of 37s did get them (37373 & 379 for example) when renumbered into the 373xx series, whilst a couple of 47s also got larger ones (some hand painted) after overhaul at Crewe (47050 & 47280 perhaps?)

So, some more images...

A complete wreck of a 27, 27041, awaits the road at Carlisle in February 1985. I was invited for a cab ride on this as far as Dunston, along the Tyne Valley line - a rare working and recall that every single panel and window in it seemed to rattle, vibrate and generally seem on its last legs. Note the standard sized numerals on the cabside.

27041185009210285carlis.jpg

Next, Railfreight 26041 stands next to Dutch 26002, withdrawn at Inverness in November 1992 - note standard sized white numbers on both locos.

And to prove some locos did get larger black numbers, Motherwell's 37373 leads 37379 through Birtley, south of Tyne Yard with a cement train from Eastgate in July 1992.

37373270792birtley.jpg

A in Lx

Hi Andrew,

Sorry about that, Though it doesn't take much to confuse me.:D ;) Thanks for the info and pics on the numbers. I didn't get far from home chasing trains until late 85 so didn't get that many pics of 26s and 27s or 25s or 40 come to that, plenty of class 33s though.

Is 27041 on your list to do as a model it would be great to do one in that condition.

Cheers Peter.

chasing

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

A in Lx

Looks rather like 26041 has black numerals to me.

Nice thread Peter,

This is turning out to be very informative.  What has happened the the pic of 27206 though further up the thread???

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee,

If you right click and press on show picture it should come up.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete.

Just to echo, a very informative thread. Some very handy roof detail pictures too.

Have you started your 27/2 yet?

Cheers.

Sean.

Thanks Sean,

I haven't started the 27/2 yet I might wait to see if Shawplan do a detail kit. Plus I have other locos to do for my North Wales layout Llanbourne before I start on my Scotish locos.

The plan is to build a small exhibition shunting layout with overhead so I can buy a class 85. Something like a mini Mossend.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Lee,

If you right click and press on show picture it should come up.

Cheers Peter.

I tried that Peter but sadly still no show.  Its unfortunate as I was hunting for photos of 206 for another project ;)

Don't suppose you could PM a copy to me could you...... Pleeeeeeease

Cheers

Lee

Archived