the modfathers 2010 layout

modfather

Ok so this challenge has given me the kick up the proverbial to get on and build something, based on an old model rail on Llwydd (same track plan as pallet lane and loch lochy)

, I'm going to build Albert Road, with a small platform and van loading facility, it will either be set in the 70's or 90's depending what I am running, of course albert road is actually the location of st phillips marsh depot, so i suspect the van traffic will supply the bristol fruit market...

my limiting factors are the micra I am likely to learn to drive sooner or later, since transporting anything in 4mm scale is unlikely on my vespa...and the fact I have a small room that has to accomadate a desk, nd an eight foot long double bed for my long legs...

well theres my idea, just need to do some woodwork now!

Well hviing rolled out some lining paper and had a play, I've ended up rolling back to a plan I keep coming back to (its been in my to do pile for about 4 years) from railway modeller dec 2000, it is based on a small diesel clay works (in my case ball clay i think) since all my bath road diesels are appropriate for this senario we will see how things pan out, I do have my weaknesses, so if gw or 1989 period bits appear, it's my railway :)

track plan to follow...

• RMweb Premium

Excellent....

If you can, keep the baseboards less than 3ft 6in long and preferably 3ft. Easier to handle and easier to transport. Think how heavy the Old Cross boards were and they were 4ft x 2ft.

Let me know if you need any help with Templotting the track plan.

• 3 months later...

As soon as plans start to roll I see that damn Kernow at the station on my way home from st phillips marsh...

Polite conversation suggests that the Captain was looking for a couple more SWAG layouts...

Since I haven't anything at the moment my answer was no, however, the odd bits of wood tucked behind my vespa (pictured below) in the garage and a couple of boxes of N gauge stock tucked away have started me wondering if I can build something in around six weeks that cn be at least run.

So its not going to be perfect, all the trackwork is here, the baseboard is an old cupboard door (chip board, but hey its only for a quick little layout...) I reckon a copy of Hepton Wharf, the layout built in a scaleforum by the Rice fellow would fit the space and my want for a goods only layout, somewhere on the western region.

Examination of the stock box gives me a 58xx that needs a quick service, a toad and an absorbed welsh style brke van and enough wagons to sunt, though I cant find my box of DG's, so hand of god it is... Mawaddy branch here I come, lets hope the orange scoot below doesn't blow up and I pass my bike test first time, otherwise modelling could be a late night affair.

6020_123599084138_649384138_2419021_2605986_n.jpg

I think not... the indians do manage to get all sorts on the scooters...

I did have a layout that bolted to my push bike rack at secondary school, it was an n scale inglenook that split into halves that fitted perfectly into my locker with homemade battery controller, and tiny stock box, picture to follow shortly! (just dug it out the cupboard, the date on the underneath is six years ago!)

I think not... the indians do manage to get all sorts on the scooters...

I did have a layout that bolted to my push bike rack at secondary school, it was an n scale inglenook that split into halves that fitted perfectly into my locker with homemade battery controller, and tiny stock box, picture to follow shortly! (just dug it out the cupboard, the date on the underneath is six years ago!)

24554_343235389138_649384138_3612545_191528_n.jpg

Well, a table has been found to put my base board on when it's at home, although at the members day I'll only have it as a sheet of chipboard.

WHile the balsa wood underlay was drying I went looking for things to build, Came across a bridge crossing the S&D at Shepton Mallet in a lightwood press book on the Strawberry line. Two hours later I remembered why I stopped N gauge - its a nightmare to build in. Stil I now have two bridge sides complete, the girder painted and waiting for some homemade brick paper to be glued on as appropriate...

Tomoro will either be trackwork and wiring or I may start work on the goods shed carcass...

Archived