New Bachmann B1

Ian Hargrave

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

Don't know if this has been asked already, so if it has, apologies. Is the Bachmann 31-713 B1, 61003 Gazelle one of the models with the new DCC chassis or not? I've seen it advertised as DCC ready on a couple of box shifter sites, but the photo appears to show it with a plastic slide bar and I thought the newer ones had a metal slide bar.

I'm a little confused, so wondered if anyone out there new what the catalogue numbers were for the new release models.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi all.

Don't know if this has been asked already, so if it has, apologies. Is the Bachmann 31-713 B1, 61003 Gazelle one of the models with the new DCC chassis or not? I've seen it advertised as DCC ready on a couple of box shifter sites, but the photo appears to show it with a plastic slide bar and I thought the newer ones had a metal slide bar.

I'm a little confused, so wondered if anyone out there new what the catalogue numbers were for the new release models.

Cheers.

Sean.

I've sean that too Sean and I'mm 99% certain it's split chassis.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all.

Cheers.

Sean.

Definitely split chassis Sean.

Retailers will be hoping to dispose of their split-chassis B1's as fast as possible without wishing to heavily discount them. However, stating they are DCC ready is taking the pee.

I used to feel the Bachmann B1 was a decent enough model but since buying a Hornby, I have revised my ideas. A shame Bachmann didnt know of Hornby's plans as they could have invested their money in something that wasn't available....B16 or whatever.

A shame Bachmann didnt know of Hornby's plans as they could have invested their money in something that wasn't available....B16 or whatever.

There's still time before the Bachmann announcements in February...! :jester:

I've had a Bachmann B1 from the new batch on the layout for about a week now (its owner is picking it up today), and my gut feeling is that I'm suddenly swinging my way round to the Hornby B1. Putting it alongside the Thompson L1s from Hornby was an eye opener and a half, and if reports are accurate that you can find the Hornby one for similar prices...then my original argument of cost saving by buying the Bachmann model may be moot.

One thing I will say is that the Bachmann model is exceptionally smooth, moreso than the Hornby L1, which I consider to be the best steam locomotive runner I have.

Retailers will be hoping to dispose of their split-chassis B1's as fast as possible without wishing to heavily discount them. However, stating they are DCC ready is taking the pee.

I agree 100% Larry.

To the the box shifter in questions credit, they have replied to my question stating the model is not DCC ready.

A quick search suggests the blurb within the description on the well known internet site has not been altered accordingly which, if I'm correct, is rather naughty......

Cheers.

Sean.

• 3 months later...

One of my surviving split chassis B1s having after several repairs reached the point of the plating worn away to the extent that pick up is awful, has now had a transplant of the new Bachmann chassis.

For my purposes the new chassis needed to be hacked about to make it heavy enough for adequate traction, in the course of which when I went to hardwire in the decoder something 'interesting' came to light. The wires to the pick ups are not soldered on to the wiper pick up strips as on most of Bach's earlier locos, there's a pair of springy contacts onto a pair of metal patches on a board with the wires soldered on. Doubtless an assembly time saver, and a design robust enough to work well, but long term I would prefer all soldered up for proven integrity. So if you ever get one that seems to have no trouble with the pick up wipers, but displays occasional loss of supply continuity, there's a place to look.

Removal of all the screwed on ballast weight except for the conveniently easily sawn off worm cover has enabled about 220g of lead to go in, and the assembled model now has class 5 appropriate traction as a result. Very sweet running too, none of the (most appropriate considering the prototypes reputation!) lurching around of the old and well worn split chassis unit.

• 3 weeks later...

Further to the above have now fitted it with a drawbar (spare from another Bachmann loco for which I made a correct length replacement) so it can couple on to a long ago worked on tender with pick ups. The body securing screw now goes into a shortened boss in the moulding under the cab floor, enabling the drawbar to slot through the moulded representation of the dragbox and be engaged by the body securing screw. (Honestly, so simple that it is strange that Bachmann didn't make this small effort to alter the body moulding.) It turns out that the matching slot on the tender front is slightly low, so had to deepen the slot about a millimetre on the top edge to avoid the drawbar lifting the tender slightly. Self tapper in the tender base holds the end of the drawbar so the ensemble is at scale separation (that also requires the intermediate buffer mouldings to be filed down somewhat).

Further to the above have now fitted it with a drawbar (spare from another Bachmann loco for which I made a correct length replacement) so it can couple on to a long ago worked on tender with pick ups. The body securing screw now goes into a shortened boss in the moulding under the cab floor, enabling the drawbar to slot through the moulded representation of the dragbox and be engaged by the body securing screw. (Honestly, so simple that it is strange that Bachmann didn't make this small effort to alter the body moulding.) It turns out that the matching slot on the tender front is slightly low, so had to deepen the slot about a millimetre on the top edge to avoid the drawbar lifting the tender slightly. Self tapper in the tender base holds the end of the drawbar so the ensemble is at scale separation (that also requires the intermediate buffer mouldings to be filed down somewhat).

Hi 34.....

Any chance of a couple of photo's? I have bought a couple of these to detail up in the future, so I'm interested in your mod....

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Premium

Hi 34.....

Any chance of a couple of photo's? I have bought a couple of these to detail up in the future, so I'm interested in your mod....

Cheers.

Sean.

Yes, I'll second that. It would be useful to see what you've done.

Jeff

Sean, Jeff, Now have a couple of pictures on my wife's phine camera (the only digital imaging device we own) but it won't cooperate with my PC - crashes the browser. Apparently it will talk to her desk PC but that's in an office she isn't visiting for two weeks (too complicated to explain). So, don't hold your breath.

Honestly it's dead easy, just look at the loco rear and tender front, and compare with another Bachmann loco that has their usual loco to tender drawbar, and you should be able to work it out from there. As already posted, I am a little surprised that Bachmann didn't make this very minor change.

• RMweb Premium

Paul - thanks for trying! I'm sure it's very straightforward, but I never like the idea of chopping bits off models! Having said that, I must admit that I was surprised, and a bit annoyed, when Bachmann went to the trouble of upgrading the chassis and left that archaic tender attachment! When I opened the box last December I thought I was seeing things!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Guest Tom F

Forgive if Im wrong but have Bachmann made a mistake with the size of 61250s smokebox door?

http://www.flickr.co...57626960876769/

The photo shows it with the larger smokebox door rather than the smaller door presented on the model.

I think this is because Bachmann seem to do a sort of generic smokebox door, somewhere in between the standard door, and the smaller NE type.

• 5 months later...

One of my "detailed" split chassis B1s recently gave up the ghost, so I ordered the cheapest BR B1 i could find. It arrived yesterday. Based on the forum I was a bit nervous about its hauling capacity. It weighed about 30/40gms less than the old split chassis but I was able to put in 30gms balanced over the driving wheels. After running in I have been able to haul 12 Hornby Gresleys. My old split chassis could only manage 9 although 10 was possible with a bit of slip. Nice smooth runner. Still wish Bachmann would sell a separate chassis.

Archived