A6 B6 ?

Matador

David,

The difference is in the curvature or length of the switch: An 'A' switch being the shortest. The number represents the crossing angle (which is obviously the same in this case 1:6).

I trust that this helps.

Regards

David

David,

Yes, an 'A' switch would be suitable for a small goods yard, although if you have the space, there is nothing to stop you using a 'B' switch in a yard. It really depends on what space you have available and also what type of stock you wish to operate. Assuming you are using rolling stock that has a reasonably short wheelbase, you shouldn't have too much problem with 'A' switches, but a 'B' switch may be preferable if you want to use longer wheelbase stock. The effective radius of a B6 turnout will be greater than an A6. If you have a look at the C&L Finescale website (http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23&Itemid=6) you will find an answer to the question "what's the difference between an 'A' and 'B' switch?" and you will also find the effective radius for various turnouts. I would assume that an A6 would be about a 7 foot radius in 0 Gauge: A B6 corresponding to something more like 8 1/4 feet.

An 'A' switch on the mainline would be rather unlikely: 'C', 'D', 'E' switches or greater would be much more likely. On High speed lines, I believe you even get 'J' and 'K' swiches, but obviously the crossing angles are also much greater than 1:6.

Regards

David

• RMweb Gold
How does this 'translate' to Peco pointwork?

The Peco 0 Gauge turnouts are approximately A-7. Here's a Templot file containing templates matching the Peco 0 Gauge turnouts:

peco_0_turnouts.box

(Bullhead -- I don't have a flat-bottom turnout to measure, but I assume the geometry is the same.)

These turnouts have a long entry straight to the V-crossing, so that the same moulded base can be used for both LH and RH turnouts, and also for the diamond crossing. The V-crossing angle is 8 degrees* (1:7.12 RAM), and to get the best match to the rails I used a GWR 9ft curved switch. These templates are accurate for the rail alignments and can be used for Peco footprint substitution, but are not recommended for actual handbuilt construction. The rail ends correspond to the crossover mid-point for 80mm track centres.

The timbering is very close, but not a perfect match. I added the silly bent timber which Peco put on the exit to their turnouts. smile.gif

peco_0_gauge_turnouts.png

© Templot screenshot

regards,

Martin.

Archived