No more than ??20.10 to spend

Philip Jackson

Spent an hour or so cutting out a cardboard base and layering it up for the engine shed. I'll need to tidy it up with a craft Knife but quite happy with it so far. Materials used:

1 empty cornflakes box

some kids (PVA) glue

I really like the idea of trying to do it on a budget. I am looking forward to seeing how this one comes along.

It certainly helps keep the waste to a minimum and make the hobby more sustainable.

There may be some points, and the track from what Philip says, its Set track, meaning there may be points involved

I've got a heap of set track that includes right and left hand points. If you break down the cost overall it will of course be more than ??20.10 but my personal challenge is to use what I have already and then spend no more than another ??20.10 putting it together. Some challenge entries will be spending more than that on the baseboard alone, not that there's anything wrong with that of course but wherever possible I will reduce, reuse and recycle.

• 2 months later...

not a great deal happening right now, can't find a supplier of suitable baseboard material for less than a kings ransom on this rock. Maybe time to skip dive and see what I can find. The shed is built so I'm playing with a few off cuts at weathering on the cheap. Will post photos as and when.

• 3 months later...

after a long period of nothing doing I got a sheet of mdf being thrown out by a local shop. a bit smaller than hoped but I can still manage something. Track layout was a bit of a pig, didn't have the right sort of points to do exactly what i wanted and the tight space meant that having all roads into the shed usable by big locos meant keeping it all down to a minimum really. I've spent the grand total of GBP10.00 so far but that almost half the budget spent. I'll take some photos soon and upload work done so far.

• 1 month later...

What a pain in the behind ballasting is, well I guess it's weather related. I carefully laid down a section of ballasted track, only to find after a few days its all moved out of place. I think in the heat and humidity that pva glue is not going off properly and the track is moving about as the day heats up. I may have to think of another way, perhaps a layer of ballast and then float the track on top and pin it down.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived