Bachmann 009 Skarloey Railway range

PaulRhB

Now, I'm just waiting to see someone put on a smokebox door and give it a repaint to Talyllyn. I'm very interested to know how it stacks up against scale drawings. The fact that they've make a OO9 model is pretty amazing either way, because it is extremely difficult to make a scale model that small.

• RMweb Gold

I haven't found a scale drawing but a couple of sites quote a length for the real loco of 5.50m

Have just measured the model (although only with a 30cm ruler) and the length over buffers is ~ 72mm If my maths is correct that means the length is 1/76 of the original

• RMweb Gold

Most glaring point difference I can immediately see is both railway series illustrators show the loco with one tool box on its right hand side. Bachmann has one on each side. I've not seen the real Talyllyn and don't know if that's a change since the late 50s when the books were first published. Bachmann show the coal bunkers open. The books generally don't.

The real Talyllyn does have two boxes on the front so they do seem to have decided we may as well base it on the real loco thinking of a possible second use of the casting. The coal bunker is always open on the real loco too as it's effectively just a box in front of the cab so it never had a cover. I don't have my old books to hand to look at the illustrations but if it has a cover the artist made it up ;)

i There's a stamp on the back of "K151029" which I assume is a factory serial number

For a whimsical purchase, I'm happy with it

David

The digits appear on all Bachmann packaging and presumably are the date of boxing or production, 29 Oct 2015. The K is seemingly a new feature, could mean Kader but that all would have a K. Found it slightly odd one Bachmann model to see a date stamp of xx1225 but that is a normal working day in China. Edited by Butler Henderson

The real Talyllyn does have two boxes on the front so they do seem to have decided we may as well base it on the real loco thinking of a possible second use of the casting. The coal bunker is always open on the real loco too as it's effectively just a box in front of the cab so it never had a cover. I don't have my old books to hand to look at the illustrations but if it has a cover the artist made it up ;)

Indeed - it does today.  However, see attached picture I think my father took in the early '60s.  Also, from a quick google search (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=talyllyn&biw=1920&bih=946&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj245SkqurJAhWHMhoKHQUeDdAQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1) it's interesting how the loco has changed over the years.  Quite a nightmare for the modelling manufacturer taking scans or photos for evidence!  Some with brake gear on the rhs, some without, two boxes, one box etc etc

Also, the same google search threw up pictures of Skarloey.  Link to one with an original series picture  http://awdrysrailwayseries.wikia.com/wiki/Skarloey.  However, later fictional representations appear to have tracked how the loco has changed, eg the two boxes on the front! 

David

post-22698-0-85752900-1450612519.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The 'modern' Talyllyn was heavily rebuilt in preservation, I think it was the late 60's or early 70's, (edit: actually 50's see post below) and it really is a three new handles and four new heads situation as there's very little of the original left. The chief engineer wanted a reliable loco to last another 80 years ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

Nothing unusual with locomotives to be something of the proverbial grandfather's axe. Quite a few locos have had new boilers, tanks, frames, cabs, etc over the years. On my native metals of the NSWGR, it wasn't unusual for locomotives to be significantly rebuilt from their original form, and for locomotives to swap parts during the course of maintenance and overhauls.

If Bachmann follow up with Rheneas, I'll be forced to do some OO9 modelling again. I've been harbouring a desire to do some sort of Sudrian-Themed layout for years, but only when sufficient characters were available. I used to collect the ERTL die-cast models, and having these OO scale electric trains would be awesome (why did I have to be in O gauge where everything is so expensive by comparison?)

• RMweb Gold

Ok I found the details and thus quote is from Andrew Young one of the TR drivers,

"For No 1, the vast majority of the loco dates from the 1950s rebuild, which incorporated only a few original parts: wheel centres, one sand box, tank filler, side rods (sadly no more after the crank pin failure earlier in 2015) and cylinder end castings. The loco had a very heavy overhaul 1982-6 where all the inside valve gear was replaced based on scaled down GWR Manor valve gear and is more than up to the job!!"

Rolt makes it pretty clear in "Railway Adventure" that the original loco was completely life-expired, and the steaming of it, an act of desperation!

Reverting to the model, I see the axles are all fixed; probably a much better solution than having the resulting overhang on what would amount to an 0-4-0

I'd only want one of these so I could eventually replicate what the Severn Valley did with 3 Sir Hadyn over their 2013 Autumn Gala. I wouldn't be using a flat wagon though but a Loriot instead.

Garethp8873.

9897502543_0af8f16ea3_c.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873

Not read all through this thread yet, but picking up on the comment regarding the sandboxes on the front buffer beam. At preservation, Talyllyn had one sand box and all the photos I've seen from pre-preservation days only show one sandbox, however at the major rebuid that was completed in 1958, the loco emerged with two sand boxes amongst other differences to the pre-preservation loco, such as a continuous running plate.

In Tywyn for Christmas and popped into Pendre this morning where I was chatting to a member of the railway's staff. He hosted the people from Bachmann when they visited the TR where they took lots of photos and measurements of 'Talyllyn' whilst researching for the model so it is based on information taken from Talyllyn as it is today. He tells me and showed me photos of the Skarloey that he's got and says it's pretty accurate size wise for a 4mm scale Talyllyn with the addition of a face.

Hopefully, I'll get to see the model in the flesh this week. By all accounts, by replacing the face with a proper smoke box front and repainting into TR livery, you could end up with a pretty accurate model of Talyllyn.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

Just stumbled on this topic! It looks fantastic Especially seeing as I am a Talyllyn Railway fan.

I'm going to order one from one of the UK shops, but before I do, has anyone started modifying one yet to represent the real Talyllyn loco? My intention is to remove the face, replace it with a smokebox door and repaint it into the current TR livery, maybe adding a few extra details along the way. The other thing I was wondering is if it is possible to do something about the cab backplate? At the very least drilling some holes through to represent windows would be a start. Presumably it would be too difficult to cut it out altogether?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The windows are cut out in the front, the solid back sheet is set away from the front by about 3mm so you can see into the void. I haven't had it apart yet but I'm aiming to chop it out somehow as it appears just to be to make the cab more robust for small fingers.

The windows are cut out in the front, the solid back sheet is set away from the front by about 3mm so you can see into the void. I haven't had it apart yet but I'm aiming to chop it out somehow as it appears just to be to make the cab more robust for small fingers.

Out of curiosity, can you post a picture of the parts diagram for the locomotive?  It doesn't seem to be on Bachmann USA's website that i can find, and i'm curious if the face is mostly removable as most of the other Thomas line items seem to be, or if it will need to be cut off when the locomotive is dissassembled.

Edit:  Checked again and the sheet seems to be there now, wasn't last week at least that i saw: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/NARROWGAUGESKARLOEY.pdf

It appears that the face is an easily removable part that can be replaced with a new smokebox door.  I can see me producing a 3D printed new door to fit the Bachmann mounting lugs if i do go ahead and buy one.  I'll have to see what the $$ is at my local shop for it and if they can order one to see if its a worthwile entry into narrow gauge modelling.

I'm tempted to pick one up and use it as a base for a conversion to a real locomotive as others are doing/discussing.

Stephen

Edited by sjgardiner