North British Railway 6 Wheel Coaches.

And having done some more work on one of the trial etches    i gave it a brushed coat of  humbrol  matt grey  ( just to see the effect ) i still need to work on the panel soldering but i think its coming on   a bit. i need to work on getting the droplights frames  central and the lower panels square but this is why im working on a trial etch  Jamie  had the right idea

The next half side  should be better and i will get  a rattle can of grey primer, comments  gratefully  accepted

post-9739-0-59578500-1467065431_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That doesn't look too bad Nigel. I generally either located the panels in the cutouts then pressed it down and soldered from the back or used Mark's trick of using those tiny wooden clothes pegs to hold them in place. You can get them from Hobby Holidays but I've also found them on market stalls. I can't remember about the droplights but think that the mark 1 ones were meant to locate into the hinges, there are some cutouts on one edge. The later production ones are integral with the hinges so should self locate.

Good luck.

Jamie

If you check out Peter Mullen's website, 62C models, you will find he is planning to release a kit for a Holmes G7 0-4-4 tank loco later this year. This would be perfect motive power for a train of the six wheel coaches.

If you check out Peter Mullen's website, 62C models, you will find he is planning to release a kit for a Holmes G7 0-4-4 tank loco later this year. This would be perfect motive power for a train of the six wheel coaches.

Shez thanks   yes I have seen this and am  seriously thinking  about  placing a pre order

• Like 1

And having done some more work on one of the trial etches    i gave it a brushed coat of  humbrol  matt grey  ( just to see the effect ) i still need to work on the panel soldering but i think its coming on   a bit. i need to work on getting the droplights frames  central and the lower panels square but this is why im working on a trial etch  Jamie  had the right idea

The next half side  should be better and i will get  a rattle can of grey primer, comments  gratefully  accepted

The  double  layer  panelling  bugged  me  for  years  on  John  Boyle's  CR  coaches,  and  I  developed  the  system  of  drilling  a  few  holes  in  the  back  sheet,  then  soldering  through,  which  Ian  has  now  adopted.  Stick  each  outer panel on  with sellotape;  jt'll  be  destroyed  by  the  heat,  but  will  last  long  enough  the  get  the  solder  in,  and  the  sellotape,  being  transparent,  lets  you  get   it  lined  up  accurately.  You  can't  very  well  bend  the  double  thickness  panel,  so  you  need  to  bend  the  inner  panel  to  the  right  shape  before  you  start,  then  bend  each  outer  panel  to  match.  It's  all  a  bit  tedious!

Allan  F

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

wheels  roof's  suspension units ordered. as the car passed MOT have some spare cash so  time to order  springs  n axle boxes  plus door handles then will make an effort and complete one of the break thirds 

• Like 2

wheels  check

suspension units check

roofs  check

door vents   check

westinghouse pipes check

0 guage track ..............  shop this afternoon

mmm everything is starting to come to one place plan for when i get home is clear the work bench / desk  organise the required tools and extra bits  make sure the camera is charged to take Step by step Pics 

and build the underfame first so i have something to push along the track to keep  enthusiasm going

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

as usual al my good plans  go wrong    so far  I have not ha d a chance to work on the next coach. and now getting ahead of myself  a couple of livery questions

1.    whats the best colour spray can for NBR  brown ?

2.   were the ends also brown

3.   was the underframe black

4.  what colour was the roof

and yes I need to join the NBRS  LOL

still the plan it to attend Telford next month and will get to  see Lancaster Ayres in the flesh

when i brought my bogie carriage to our show back in November, Mark asked me what colour i used because he said that it was close to NBR carraige colour. i used Humbrol 20

28887066840_fa08a2e80c_z.jpgcarriage 2 (7) by Sam, on Flickr

Well I've got to say sir Douglas I rather like the look of that have you got any more pictures of it, sorry to ask on your thread Jamie hope you don't mind.

• Like 1

On checking  Humbol 20 is very close to Ford Burgundy I doubt if any one left alive can say with certainly what the exact shade is correct , especially as colours fade with time and appear different in changing lighting conditions

Hi Nigel,

First the paint - it was hand mixed, (and thus could be different (there are tales of the LNER apple green - mixed during the day, and another batch mixed during the night, and naturally they were different, due to the difference in the light when mixed. There was no buying pre-mixed paint!) and the topcoat was what was called a 'lake' colour - that is it is in modern (and nearest) terms like ink - that is clear with no opaquers (like Humbrol 20 - which looks to be a solid colour (when mixed) but isn't - you DO need an solid colour undercoat for it.

Thus the final colour relied on its undercoat to give it depth. Finally the coaches were varnished for protection of the paint film. This could be renewed IF the finish allowed it as varnishing was cheaper.

The carriage livery sides maroon, ends, originally maroon, later black, brake ends vermilion. When new the roof was white, there is a photo of Cowlairs station with a coach having a white roof and below the rainstrip on each side painted black. That must have been before trips from Queen Street station up through the tunnel to Cowlairs! . The coach was an early design with a single 'low arc' to the roof.

The above from Sandy Maclean in the NBR Journal.

Maroon (even Humbrol 20) is as above transparent, and the undercoat affects the colour perceived. The NBR used a brownish colour (Brown Oxide, which Scottish railways seemed to prefer to red oxide?), and was said to be slightly different (more dull)to the Midland version.

I have seen NER (also maroon/crimson) coaches painted with a navy blue undercoat which also make a rich colour; I suspect that the 'brown' (undercoat) was towards the dark end of the spectrum (perhaps the fitted stock colour?).  Thus black, medium to dark grey, or dark (chocolate), or red oxide, or a dark russett brown, tending to a warm red undercoat will give some variety. 

Here is a link to a 'transparent brown oxide - look at the top end of the image for what I think the solid version would be like 

http://d4of2brjuv1jo.cloudfront.net/imagefiles/recent/2874.jpg

Finally a light coat of 'muck' will tone it down! Especially if you scratch build a CCT or a horsebox.

Crimson or Maroon basically the same colour, was a long lasting colour thus the use by many railways; the Midland for instance had 17 coats of paint (incl. varnishes) for their carriages! Thought I doubt that you would want that?.

The interior would be dark wood (mahogany(?) for 1st and yellow brown for the lower classes the last being at this link

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/sorting-out-satinwoods/

Yours Peter

Edited by PeterR
  • Like 1

Cheers Peter  that's most helpful   I am pleased to not that they  did not waste money on such fripperies as lining lol

Think I will have a go at  red oxide  undercoat as well as grey to see how they  turn out  I even like the idea of a coat of blue   under the  burgundy   lots of scope for   variations  . but this is down the track a wee bit , need to finish a coach  first

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just to let folk know, we now have another batch of etches in stock.  These are for all the four types of coach, 5 cpt 1st, 6 cpt 3rd, Br 3rd and saloon.   These will be with us on Lancaster Green Ayre at Telford.  We also plan to have them with us at Scotgog at Linlithgow in October.  The price is still the same as before £45 each or £200 for a rake of 5.

Jamie

Just to let folk know, we now have another batch of etches in stock.  These are for all the four types of coach, 5 cpt 1st, 6 cpt 3rd, Br 3rd and saloon.   These will be with us on Lancaster Green Ayre at Telford.  We also plan to have them with us at Scotgog at Linlithgow in October.  The price is still the same as before £45 each or £200 for a rake of 5.

Jamie

Nooooooooo  just cos i told you i was coming to telford  you put temptation in my way ........... do you take credit cards ?

lol

• RMweb Premium

Nooooooooo  just cos i told you i was coming to telford  you put temptation in my way ........... do you take credit cards ?

lol

Unfortunately not but we could arrange internet banking.

Jamie

Hi Nigel,

Alas the NBR did line the coaches, I suspect that even them did not try unlined (except possibly some older stock) vehicles, especially with the competition (the CR) ignoring the colour here is a copy of a West Highland coach on the west of Scotland 0 Gauge layout at Bo'ness (off the Flicker site  link    https://www.flickr.com/photos/bogog/page1/   there are almost 1500 0 gauge photos so far, naturally of all sorts of railways but in O gauge naturally)  named b  'Glenauchter'

post-8192-0-62364800-1472154631_thumb.jpg

Here is another - off the web, of a 6 wheeler, some of the NBR painters in front of it

post-8192-0-11123400-1472154650.jpg

Finally from the BRM of October 1994, which had a 'Railway Liveries' centrefold on the NBR is a section of a west highland (again) coach; note the lining included the edges of the cantrail ventilator bonnets when fitted. The 6 wheeler has smooth bonnets on the doors.

post-8192-0-12730500-1472155609.jpg

There is a small set of photos at    http://www.gotopcs.net/461intro.htm  as well with close ups of the letterig & crerst for you./

Yours Peter

Edited by PeterR
  • Like 2

shopping  list for the weekend

Can of red primer  can of  ford burgundy   and a can of royal blue   to play at getting the   colours right just eed clarification on the lining colour about.1895

and i managed to  purchase  a nice book about  the Edinburgh  suburban and south side junction railway has lots of nice details

Edited by nigelb

shopping  list for the weekend

Can of red primer  can of  ford burgundy   and a can of royal blue   to play at getting the   colours right just eed clarification on the lining colour about.1895

and i managed to  purchase  a nice book about  the Edinburgh  suburban and south side junction railway has lots of nice details

went shopping in halfords and a very nice young man chatted about the idea of    blue under red  ...........  said  you will nail it  with them colours it will give a nice rich red

• Like 1