37/4 and 24/1 - sound + vision...
After the AGM the other week, 2mmFS mojo has been topped up and it was time to start looking at the rolling stock for KoL. I had always had the intention to have a class 24/1 as they were more frequent on the line than the 24/0 and the Etched Pixels etches were getting a little fidgety in the gloat box.
Following some filing away to the front cabs to remove door hinges etc. some filler has been added to create the distinctive smooth fronts. The roof fan has been drilled out and replaced as well as the addition of the head code boxes - very nice conversion kit of etches here. There are also some roof modifications required which were started this morning...some for 24/1's and some to correct Farish's errors.
Ploughs fitted it had a first coat of primer to flush out any filling errors...and there are quite a few judging by the close ups! More filler was applied earlier. The loco will end up as 24124 which I have a pic of at KoL. Lastly the front will be drilled to have to white jewel headlamps similar to what I did with one of my class 26's. Am not sure I will use the working lights as the lamps were all a bit dull in those days by accounts.
First coat of primer...
Some further filling and sanding required to the cab front...
Secondly, sound for my Farish 37/4 - it's all that Nick Bastable's fault for running his green 207 on the layout at the AGM The sound was impressive and the next day I took the rash move of ordering a sound chip from Digitrains just to see how it was. There was away thread on here recently that showed a new Zimo chip which could plug in and the speaker attached was buried in the 37/4 nose/roof - instant sound was what I was after.
What I hadn't taken into account was that they had not lowered their 37 so it did not fit Following various arrangements to try and locate I set about making my own lid for the mini speaker. This proved to be problematic so it was parked and slept on overnight - next morning I had a solution.
Cut the lid off the speaker housing using a razor saw, profile the shape to that of the 37 roof and then add a slither of 10 thou plasticard to make a new roof. This was then coated with a permanent marker black pen and then inserted back into the loco - this time it fitted a lot better and the lights were still working.
Attached is a short video of it in action. Must admit, I was never a fan of this sound stuff...but now I am bitten by it It's only money preventing me from working through my whole fleet ...and perhaps any necessary hacking of the chassis block which I would prefer not to do. The aim is to put a sound chip in the other 37/0 and in future the 24, 26 and 27's can follow.
Am tempted not to have the lights working in these as per above but the high intensity light on the 37 is quite nice.
Am hoping to have the 24/1 and the other 37 ready for the Tonbridge exhibition 18 February 2017.