Ivatt 41298 Isle of Wight Railway

roythebus

Isle of Wight Railway Railway test run the Ivatt tank today for the first time using the newly-installed air brake equipment. No doubt there will be pictures on their website. According to reports there's been a few snags as to be expected but these will be sorted within a few days.

I hope to be going over this year to see her again, last time 1967 Nine Elms Shed, look at my averter, you see what I mean.

Mind you I do not remember seeing her at the time as I was only a year and six month old ,Funny thing was I know nothing about this photo and had built Torrington line that she ran on and had the model, then a few years' later my father pulled out of his photo collection me standing next to 41298, I have documented the history of this loco from the day it was built, until its last days with BR and have collected a large number of photo's/Film of her.

Well done the IOW railway for getting her this far.

Darren

I am part of the Havenstreet 40's weekend organisers and she was brought up to pressure on Sunday for final tinkering with the Westinghouse pump.  Then apparently she went for several complete runs pulling the carriage stock early Monday morning setting off just before 7:30, unfortunatly I was home in bed for this momentous occasion, so I didn't witness the event, but I was told the 75 tons draw wieght did cause any conncern.  There was a bit more shuffling about the station complex during the morning, which I believe was so more crew could have a brief taste, but I'm show and events so I could be wrong.  Posted below is a picture taken on Sunday.

Gareth

post-25628-0-86838300-1436254704_thumb.jpg

Looks superb. So far, even though I'm a regular visitor to the island, I've managed to miss each test run! I'll be there from the 24th for a week and I usually get a day or 2's volunteering in with the C&W so hopefully it'll be up and about again.

JF

• 8 months later...

Was down there first day of the season, 17th March I think, was a nice day for it, will take some getting used to much larger loco compared to anything else... also did a good deed for the day, when the island line lost power, and the Ivatt collected all the passengers from the Island line and dropped them off at Havenstreet... was amusing as the loco is newer than the 1938 tube stock... That's the Isle of Wight for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBs_NmCBJK8

There was a FB post saying that the bunker may have to be enlarged in true IoW fashion as someone (rumoured to be a Bluebell fireman) ran out of coal 2 days ago! And no, it's not an April 1st joke either!!

John Faulkner has been posting some beautiful pictures on various FB groups, if anyone here is on the British railways Old School group or Lost Boys, I tend to copy them to there.

It's a joy to see 'Ivatt the Engine' at work at long last, but having grown up with the O2's it don't half seem strange to see such a 'big' loco on the Island.

Looking forward to the return of 61313.

On  this  train

LBSC  bogie  carriages  dating  between  1903  &  1924

Other  carriages  on  the  line  include  3  SECR  bogies  from  1911  (Currently  out  of  traffic)

6  off  4  wheelers:  4  LCDR,  1  LBSC,  1  NLR  (all  operational)

All  ran  on  the  Island  pre  preservation  except  one  of  the  LBSC  bogies  (and  that  is  of a  type  which did)

A  Mk1  free  zone 

Pete

• 4 months later...

Believe it or not a 9F is within axle loadings!

I like it also because it worked Lymington Branch. So its local!

Its interesting when you see the Brighton drawings of the proposed modifications. I modelled 84014 as per the BR design office drawings.

You can see there was an obvious attempt to make the 84's to expensive to modifiy. Modifications included

Shaving an 1" both side from the buffer beam both ends.

Dropping the cab by 1" or 3" , cannot remember from memory!

Fitting three air res tanks between frames.

Here are the odd one that make no sense.

Repositioning of handrails on the bunker (not sure why as there should not be fouling).

Casting of a special chimney when there were plenty of 4MT ones that could have done?

The recessing in the water tank of the drivers brake valve resovoir, when there was plenty of room elsewhere in the cab?

Very odd design ideas and ones that reak of being purposely made too difficult.

Archived