Norwood Road

St. Simon

• RMweb Gold

I know what a VIXL is, I think I know what a CIXL is (and it's not an Arduino!). Are you sure you haven't got two AIXLs? !!!

Paul.

• Like 1

I know what a VIXL is, I think I know what a CIXL is (and it's not an Arduino!). Are you sure you haven't got two AIXLs? !!!

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I thought that my interlockings couldn't technically be VIXLs, so I thought CIXL (Central Interlocking for those that don't know) was a more appropriate name, but now you mention it, yes they should be AIXLs (by which I presume stands for Arduino Interlocking?)

I have invented a name for my interlocking type though, after all you get WestLock and SmartLock, why not PaleyLock! :)

Simon

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Another update, with pictures!!

This is really only a small update to say that I have total finished wiring up the control box:

post-7271-0-88597600-1497732184_thumb.jpg

You can see the relays to switch the points and shunt signals have been installed and the final cable from the layout has been installed, there is now just under 100 circuits going in and out of the control box, so I think its fairly neat! I've also managed to write all the interlocking data and upload it onto the Arduinos, so hopefully soon I can start testing it all.

Also on the electrical front is that the Point Detection Relays have been installed and connected, so the final wiring to take place is to wire up the control panel, but I'm still waiting on the panels being cut. 

In Signalling news, the Co-actor for NR002 has arrived (well, at least the main aspects have), although I have been in contact with Absolute Aspects regarding some nicer Dorman heads for NR002, so the Eckon signals maybe replaced at some point, depending on the price. Also, you may remember a while ago, I 3D printed a Banner Repeater as a static model, well, I've taken the financial plunge and decided to replace it with this:

post-7271-0-91208100-1497733846_thumb.jpg

It's a Viessmann Shunting Banner Signal (Product No. 4515), it works closely enough to a real 2 state Banner Repeater for me to use (it'll be a Lower Quadrant version rather than the proper Upper Quadrant LED ones!), so I've designed a safety cage and hood to go around it to make it look a bit more British:

post-7271-0-35605400-1497733982.png

I'm still working out how to control it as it needs a momentary pulse to operate (much like the Dapol Semaphores, but not as simple), so I've started a thread in the electrical section for solutions in addition to my thread on my train describers problem, so if you can help on either front, please post!

More rolling stock news, I've ordered a pair of the Modern Hattons Warwells to create a short MoD train using my box vans and inspection saloon.

Also, I've tabled the motion of a new Modern Signalling Book for Modellers in the books section, if you have any suggestions I would like to hear them!

That's it really, more updates soon!

Simon

• Like 4

Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to add, I'm getting to the point where I'm looking for exhibitions to take Norwood Road to from about October onwards, so if you want to book it at a show, please get in contact!

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

As you might know, I’ve had leave this week, with good and bad news, the bad news is that it wasn’t anywhere excited, just High Wycombe, but the good news was that it meant I could work on the layout!

I didn’t get to do anything on it last weekend as I was with Graham_Muz of this parish at the Exeter Show exhibiting his Canute Road Quay Layout (which, along with a lot of track given to me by a colleague, has generate some ideas for another home layout). But on Monday I got the layout out into the kitchen to start work.

Before erecting it, I decided to test the electrical continuity of my new wiring, and all I can say is, oh dear. Somewhere along the line, I have reversed the 25 way ‘D’ sockets at one end of the cables, luckily, this was fairly easily rectified in the end, but did cause some colourful language and gnashing of teeth! I’ve also got to install another 5 volt supply to enable me to power the Arduino operated relay modules.

By the end of Yesterday, I managed to get it working, almost, I say almost in that I have the ability of running trains, but not detecting them at the moment. I’m using MERG ToTi modules, but I have made the minimum of success with them and I’m considering another solution. If anyone has any suggestions of a train detection system for DCC that measures current and can operate a relay, then please let me know.

On Tuesday I managed to get the layout erected (I didn’t manage it on Monday due to my helper, Dad, having some, as it turned out very minor, health issues), and started installing my signals, first up was NR002’s Off Indicator:

post-7271-0-47698100-1499611112_thumb.jpg

This view also shows off the yellow handrails I’ve installed as per my photos a month or two back, these are actually handrails off the PECO subway stairs kit, I’ve got to get some more to finish the others.

The OFF Indicator bracket is made up simply from some 3mm box plastic strip.

Next up was NR002CA:

post-7271-0-60495200-1499611128_thumb.jpg

In the end I did decide to add the PL to the Co-actor and in playing around with my stock, my decision to go with a ‘Perpendicular’ Co-actor was the correct choice. The only thing I will probably change at some point is the resistor as the aspects are malnourished, almost certainly due to the signal being supplied with a resistor for 12v and I’m only running 5v through it.

Finally it was T30BR,:

post-7271-0-86958800-1499614558_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-94999800-1499614570_thumb.jpg

Three things made the installation of this signal challenging; its position, its electrical connections and the heat. At first I choose a suitable location for it, it required a 15mm x 15mm square hole, when I started to drill, I discovered that one the baseboard beams was slap bang in the middle, so I decided to move, drilled a small test hole, beam again, another position, beam again. I gave up at this point and decided to put it in the original position, of course this meant that the chisel and hammer had to come out and the heat meant that it was very hard work! Once I had cooled down and washed, I started to wire it up, the instructions from Viessmann state that it works off a 16v supply, not that unusual and I had one already for the tram line, but it was a common positive connection for light and motor and requires a momentary pulse to change from ‘ON’ to ‘OFF’.

At the moment, I’m installed a couple of push buttons beneath the baseboard, but I’ve got my electrical wizard to look into an automated system to replace the banner as the train passes, and then after an elapsed time (hopefully somewhat randomly), the banner will pull off, this will also feed into the interlocking to give an aspect sequence.

Also, I tested the ground signals I installed some weeks ago:

post-7271-0-38120400-1499611192_thumb.jpg

As part of the rewire, I’ve converted all the PLs to 12v operation via relays (previously I had them operated directly off the Arduino at 5v, but I was getting some brightness issues).

The biggest alteration to the layout was the replacement of the Footbridge at the country end of the layout. Since the layouts debut at Chinnor, it has appeared with a Ratio Southern Concrete Footbridge, but I felt that was this was a ‘cliché’ and I wanted to replace with a model of this bridge:

post-7271-0-29081000-1499611217_thumb.png

So on Thursday I started to construct a copy, sadly when I started to drill holes as per the above, the brick work plastic sheet just ripped, so I kept to a just a simple bridge:

post-7271-0-12361700-1499611235_thumb.jpg

I’m not too sure about the paint work, I’ve tried to make it match the paint work of the wing walls, and whilst I’ve matched it fairly well on the uprights, the face isn’t that good.

The other thing I’ve done is too finally add TPWS TSS Loops to NR004:

post-7271-0-50886600-1499611255_thumb.jpg

I know it isn’t that much, but I think I have made a lot of progress with getting that layout to a stage that I’m happy with. So, onto some train piccies:

A GBRF waits in the turnback to operate a ballast train to London Bridge:

post-7271-0-09465400-1499611274_thumb.jpg

A EWS Class 66 heads towards London with an empty MoD train:

post-7271-0-57351600-1499611292_thumb.jpg

A Class 37 waits for the signal to pull forward to the head shunt:

post-7271-0-38646500-1499611309_thumb.jpg

Another Class 37 heads towards London with an P-Way Inspection Train:

post-7271-0-91216000-1499611326_thumb.jpg

A Network Southeast Class 205 Thumper stands at the 2 car stop marker in the Turnback:

post-7271-0-19813900-1499611415_thumb.jpg

DRS Class 68 No. 68005 ‘Defiant’, on its debut run to the Norwood Road area, waits in the Turnback for a signal to head to the Turnback:

post-7271-0-90818700-1499614581_thumb.jpg

The 68 stands in the headshunt:

post-7271-0-33177800-1499614576_thumb.jpg

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 16

• 1 month later...

Fantastic layout Simon, you have a superb eye for detail!

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thank you, you also have a great eye for detail with your Jubilee Wagon Works, it's inspiration for a new little layout of mine!

Very nice! I have a thing for modern image SR layouts ;) you've really managed to capture that South/South East London atmosphere with Norwood Road.

Maybe James Makin could fashion you a Capitalstar or a couple of Electrostars?  :derisive:

Very good work,

Matt

Thank you Matt, I don't think I've captured enough of the Grime & rubbish in the area, so I'll have to improve that! I do wish I could have a couple of Capitalstars and a couple of Electrostars, but alas, it may never work out....

There should be another update for you guys this evening / tomorrow, I've got the panel fronts now and I'm 90% there with painting them, so I'll take a couple of pictures tonight. I should also be able to launch my new home layout, so watch this space.....

Simon

Hi,

Right, some news!

Last week I got the panel facias, these have been very kindly laser cut by Mike Turner at the Wirral Finescale Modellers, I decided to get them laser cut rather than me trying to drill them as it would be more accurate and I can guarantee everything is in a straight line. They are cut from 3 mm acrylic to my designs. 

I've managed to get them all painted up (although you'll some paint over spill which I have to correct!) and the LED holders installed, my next job is to start wiring it up, which may take a couple of weeks.

So, without further delay, here is the Norwood Road Emergency Enhanced I.F.S. Panel:

post-7271-0-93227000-1502740835_thumb.jpg

In other news, I have confirmed another exhibition invitation:

• Manchester Model Railway Society Christmas Show on December 7th & 8th 2019

If you would like Norwood Road to come to an exhibition in 2018, please get in touch!

Simon

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Just wanted to say a belated Merry Christmas and a happy new year, and sorry for the lack of updates since August.

Never fear, there is significant progress with the signalling system, and some train describers, which I'll relay to you tomorrow!

Simon

Hi,

Right, time for a big update!

Sorry for not updating the thread for so long, but as always I wanted to show completed stuff rather than half finished things. As a few hundred other things have got in the way, I haven't been able to do lots of things.

First off, nothing has been done physically on the layout as I haven't got the space to put it up very often (only when the parents dining room is free!). I will be putting it up at the end of the month to able me to work on it.

However, this have progressed a pace with the new signalling! I managed to get most of December off to work on wiring up the control panel, it was quicker than expecting, but then came the point to start testing it. Oh boy, was that hard, what seemed like loads of errors with my wiring (which, I will admit, started to frustrate me to a point of wanting to give up :nono: ), was actually being caused by some faulty cables. Once I managed to figure out a way of working with the cables whilst new ones arrive, it all fell into place:

post-7271-0-62067000-1514807659_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the dodgy picture (I may get a new camera this year!), this shows the track and signal indications lit, the track circuits being driven directly off track repeating relays, whilst the signal indications are being driven off the logic in the Arduinos. NR002's Main Red Aspect indication (centre) isn't being lit up I think due to the faulty cable, whilst 'DA' track circuit (bottom right) isn't lit because I have a wire off in my track circuit simulator, but it does work.

Obviously, if the signal indications are working, that means that they interlockings have been tested. This did require a total rewrite of the interlocking data (done in a couple of hours on Friday) and then a few tweaks were needed. However, they are now working as per the prototype and are ready to be exhibited. I'm quite amazed it has only taken just under a day to rewrite, tweak and test both interlocking's, I was think it would have to take a few days at least!

I still have to test the interaction with the layout, as I'm using a test desk to simulate track occupancy and point detection, but I see no problem with that! The only thing I haven't put on the interlocking is the approach locking, but as this requires complex code for timers, I might wait to do that, I don't want to spoil my interlocking!

This is the test rig I was using:

post-7271-0-51830600-1514809432_thumb.jpg

In other signalling news, a trip to Warley saw me purchase the last of Absolute Aspects new Banner Repeater Signals to replace my Viessmann one, which I'm not sure was ever going to work the way I intended it to. I will install it when the layout is up. I'm going to use a Heathcote unit to control it, and create circuits to enable an Aspect Sequence to be created. I'm over the moon with this release, a proper banner has been missing from the model world too long and AA's model works just like the real thing.

Also, you know how much I love signals  :sungum: , I'm going to add another one, sort of. Some of you may have seen my thread about my short headshunt and despite the multiple people saying, quite correctly, I should extend the headshunt, I have decided to install an OFF Indicator beyond the shunt signal to allow me to stable large locos realistically in the headshunt. 

Finally, I have had a couple of new arrivals since the last update, a Hornby Class 71 (they were a bargin price at Kernow!) and the Hattons Green / Blue Railtrack Class 121, seen on Graham Muzpratt's Canute Road Quay:

post-7271-0-43784000-1514809400.jpg

Finally, hopefully by the end of next week, I'll have my train describer units ready, all the electronics have been completed by a good friend of mine, but just need to be mounted into some boxes.

You can read about Norwood Road Updates (as well as other stuff) at my new Wordpress Blog here: https://sjpmodels.wordpress.com/  

Have a great 2018!

Simon

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

More panel progress!

Today some decal paper to label up the control panel arrived, so I got on with it:

post-7271-0-04778300-1516485342_thumb.jpg

The Decals are Rub-dry decals from Homecraft , they were pretty painless to use and print and produce a really professional finish (no connection with the company other  than a satisfied costumer).

I also managed to label up my train describer display, more on this in a later post:

post-7271-0-74847100-1516485669_thumb.jpg

Finally, this evening I managed to get my TRTS and SPAD Alarm circuits to work, so here is the panel in a complete failure mode (the TRTS & SPAD Alarms flash):

post-7271-0-78598600-1516485688_thumb.jpg

I'm very please with the SPAD Alarm, this is a function of interlocking and will detect a genuine SPAD of NR001, NR002, NR101 or NR102, rather than a simple track circuit dropping. This is to keep my operators on their toes, seem as some of them don't like obeying red signals! :)

That's panel practically finished and ready to roll. Just got to test it works with the real layout and I'll be happy.

EDIT: Oh, and I've got several exhibitions for the next couple of years lined up, so look out for those!

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 5

Hi,

Had another short session tinkering, and now I have my approach locking timer on NR001 working. It lights up a red LED above the switch for NR001 for ~ 10 seconds after the route has been cancelled and locks 202 points until the time has finished. It will prevent anything derailing if they SPAD NR001, which is more than likely with some of my sound fitted stock.

Simon

• Like 1

Hi,

Okay, final panel update this weekend!

I have just managed to finish putting Approach Locking on NR004 as well as NR001, I tried putting it on NR002, but I couldn't make it work, so I'm leaving it. Having just put all the code into a Word Document for records, there is now 909 lines of code that cover 10 pages of A3!

Also, I've managed to get my sound effects board working so now I have three sounds on the panel:

• TRTS Buzzer 
  • Restoration Reminder
  • Call Techinican (just for fun :) )

Simon

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

They'll be a bigger update tomorrow, but I thought I would update the thread to say that with 5 days to go Doncaster, the signalling has finally been intergrated with the layout, with only modifications to stock, scenery and a little bit of woodwork to complete.

Simon

• Like 1

They'll be a bigger update tomorrow,

Okay, maybe not, I've just been too busy to write an updated, but be safe in the knowledge that the finishing touches have been added to Norwood Road prior to Doncaster and we now in the  process of packing ready for the weekend.

If you are coming to Doncaster, please come along and say hello!

Simon

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Right, finally a report from Doncaster:

post-7271-0-71795200-1519064313_thumb.jpg

Doncaster was a big and important show for me and the layout, as it was the first use of my prototypical signalling that I have been working on over the past year.

For Doncaster, the hard work started 2 weeks prior to the event, as I still had lots of work and signalling testing to complete before travelling north.The two weeks consisted mostly of integrating the new panel and interlocking with the signals, points and track circuits on the layout, this took a little longer than planned and gave me a few headaches (literally), but we managed it. Sadly this left hardly any time for scenic work, but the majority of it was finished anyway.

Once we arrived in the venue and found where we were located in the hall, we started to unpack and set up, with a bit of minor fettling, in roughly two hours. Off to the hotel and a nice meal with my operating crew.

The Saturday Morning of a show is always tricky, as this is when you find out if the layout works the way you expected it to work when you took it down the day before!  For Norwood Road, this was when the problems started.

This is an extract from my SJP Models Blog here: https://sjpmodels.wordpress.com/2018/02/19/norwood-road-at-doncaster-2018/ 

Simon

• Like 1

Having read the blog entry I wouldn't be too disheartened with the panel and train describer not everyone would know what it is being more a real world thing but it's very impressive nonetheless.

And if you would prefer to rebuild the Fiddle Yard and extend the Layout I would suggest that is the best course of action because if that is what you want anything less will probably annoy you

David

Edited by d winpenny
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Simon,

Do you know where the shorts are happening on the insulfrogs? Is it the crossing nose or touching the backs of the switch blades? On a previous layout before I converted to electrofrogs I still put in IRJs so that all the feeds were coming from the toe end and nothing was ‘back feeding’ from the nose end (cos I could see the sparks as the metal wheels connected across both rails on the crossing nose). A fairly simple mod if you can get at the points, a ‘dremel’ and araldite if necessary.

Paul.

• Like 1

Simon,

Do you know where the shorts are happening on the insulfrogs? Is it the crossing nose or touching the backs of the switch blades? On a previous layout before I converted to electrofrogs I still put in IRJs so that all the feeds were coming from the toe end and nothing was ‘back feeding’ from the nose end (cos I could see the sparks as the metal wheels connected across both rails on the crossing nose). A fairly simple mod if you can get at the points, a ‘dremel’ and araldite if necessary.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

We think it is the switch blades, although the you could well be right with the frogs as I don't think we put in insulators all the way round the points (we tried to use the previous track feeds), so I'll get my P-Way and Electronics Guys onto it.

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've finally managed to write up about the Train Describers:

post-7271-0-86193900-1521292013_thumb.jpg

I’ve been thinking about how to introduce ‘Train Describers’ onto the layout. The reason for doing this is that I’m building up the layout to enable me to show how a signalling system, or an extract thereof, works in real life with changes to adapt it to the constraints with a model railway, and ‘Train Describers’ are an integral part of the system.

First off, I better explain a train describer. It really is what it says on the time, it is a visual display that indicates the ‘head code’ or ‘train reporting number’ that a particular service is running under. They are primarily used by signallers to monitor the progress of particular trains and to enable them to identify trains during the course of their duties.

For a real working Train Describer, I should have a display at every signal berth along the ability to step codes between berths and to interpose any code into them, however…. Actually implementing this on a model railway requires either a computerised panel, which I don’t want, or a panel and interlocking which could be about the same length as the layout itself! So, I’ve instead decided to build a just a small train description panel consisting of three displays.

This is an extract from my SJPModels Blog here: https://sjpmodels.wordpress.com/2018/03/17/norwood-road-re-lock-re-control-part-5/ 

Simon

• Like 2