'USA' 0-6-0T models - painted samples

dibber25

The price is £124.95 inc postage. The phone number for orders is 01209 613984. There are currently 7 versions available to order:

MR101 USATC black No. 1968

MR102 SR black/sunshine lettering. No. 68

MR103 BR black/early No. 30069

MR104 BR lined green/late No. 30064

MR105 LMR blur No. WD300 Frank S Ross

MR106 Weathered BR black/ late No. 30071

MR107 NCB black No. 36

The magazine advertisement includes illustrations of the liveries. (CJL)

Thank you once again dibber 25. Really appreciate the service. I will duly pass on re- MR104 and phone number to my mate. I doubt it will be a single order!

Tod

Did I imagine it or did I read somewhere that this version was sold out to pre-orders?

Cheers G

You're correct. This one is fully pre-ordered at present. Sorry to disappoint but I believe a reserve list is being taken as some pre-orders may not get taken up. (CJL)

You're correct. This one is fully pre-ordered at present. Sorry to disappoint but I believe a reserve list is being taken as some pre-orders may not get taken up. (CJL)

Thank you sir for your reply, so glad I pre-ordered this version early on. Really looking forward to it arriving. The photos of the black ones look brilliant. Any chance we will see some photos of this soon or are they in the mag?

Cheers Glenn

Thank you sir for your reply, so glad I pre-ordered this version early on. Really looking forward to it arriving. The photos of the black ones look brilliant. Any chance we will see some photos of this soon or are they in the mag?

Cheers Glenn

I'm not sure we'll be posting photos of these yet, as there are one or two tweaks required. (CJL)

Ordered the black BR version yesterday on behalf of my mate and apart from the green version, was informed that all the others are available to pre-order. Logic says to me that the  green version needs consideration for an early second production run. The demand is obviously there!

Tod

Ordered the black BR version yesterday on behalf of my mate and apart from the green version, was informed that all the others are available to pre-order. Logic says to me that the  green version needs consideration for an early second production run. The demand is obviously there!

Tod

The last three liveries will be announced in the next issue of Model Rail. Once they are done, that's it. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

I thought the black samples were good. Now I've seen the green, blue and ochre samples I'm wondering if I can negotiate a staff discount for buying the complete set! Seriously, I think you're going to like these. (CJL)

Ochre? I had no idea that you were doing 72 in this batch. This is going to be expensive...

With regards to Passenger workings, while they weren't suited to them for day-to-day service, there are records of pairs working Railtours in the dying years of Steam.

There are photos of two such workings on P.68 and P.69 of "Solent Steam" by Kevin McCormack, both on the Totton-Fawley branch.

Regards,
Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

Just checked my order and noted it will be 4 years in April since the orders were first placed. Patience is a virtue.

Yes, we're sorry for the delay. The reasons have been reasonably well documented - change of manufacturer, further research, tooling revisions etc. I think you'll find that the wait has been well worthwhile. (CJL)

How many did NCB operate and in what regions? They are certainly something different but trying to gauge how much laughter there will be if I use one on my Ayrshire based colliery layout (assuming conversion to EM is feasible) .....

Three and in NE England (so not too far to get to Scotland!) . Hartley Main, Hetton and Wallsend, I believe. Go on - you know you want to! Sorry - no idea on EM conversion. (CJL)

• 2 months later...

In theory Alan Gibson do the right wheels for an EM ( or P4 ) conversion - but probably only with 'bog standard' 1/8'' axles ........ but what size ARE the axles on the Model Rail Yankee Tankee ?

Standard Bachmann axles as far as I'm aware. (CJL)

Is that 3mm ? ........ there have been some weird 'n' wonderful diameters over the last few years ! - in fact, didn't Bachmann change the size of the dub-dee axle ? ..... or am I thinking of something else ?

Who knows?!

Simple answer is to wait until it arrives, and then measure the axles.

Hornby are playing around with axle diameters too....J15 and J50 are both 2mm!

Can't get the digital caliper in to measure but I suspect they are 3mm. However the axle ends are shouldered and the wheel centre appears to have a plastic insulating bush so changing the axles would mean changing the wheels, too.......and then the valve gear  gear....... It wasn't designed to be changed. (CJL)

Maybe one day someone will cotton on that there are people out here who don't model 4'1½'' narrow gauge and who really would appreciate a wheel-change facility being designed in .......... I think the first batch of ( Dapol ? ) Austerity saddle tanks actually came with EM wheels though the model was let down by other factors ........................ and then there's Sutton Locomotive Workshop’s Class 24.

• Like 1

Maybe one day someone will cotton on that there are people out here who don't model 4'1½'' narrow gauge and who really would appreciate a wheel-change facility being designed in .......... I think the first batch of ( Dapol ? ) Austerity saddle tanks actually came with EM wheels though the model was let down by other factors ........................ and then there's Sutton Locomotive Workshop’s Class 24.

Unfortunately there aren't enough of them to make the substantial increase in cost worthwhile. 20 extra sales because the model is easily convertible doesn't cover the 40 you lose because the price goes too high. (CJL)

Its just not viable. Youre talking about thousands of punds of additional design work for the benefit of a few modellers who MIGHT want to do the conversion. The market for such considerations just doesnt exist in the British model railway world.

Its just not viable. Youre talking about thousands of punds of additional design work for the benefit of a few modellers who MIGHT want to do the conversion. The market for such considerations just doesnt exist in the British model railway world.

You're right of course. The fundamental problem, like most things British, is that we started wrong and perpetuated the error until it was too late to change. I once wrote an editorial advocating the scrapping of 'OO' and a total commitment to 'HO' scale. I only wrote such heresy once! Of course, if we'd gone with HO years ago we'd have had the Roco 'USA' tank. (CJL)