The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Old abandoned line in deepest Gloucestershire

Could it be the old abandoned line from Micheldean Road station up to Drybrook via Hawthorns tunnel.

I know the area well. having stayed in a holiday cottage there several times since 2000, trying to find the elusive Hawthorns tunnel on several occasions !!

Brit15

Not the Forest of Dean Branch.

To put you out of your misery, I can also add:

Not the Ross & Monmouth Railway

Not the Coleford Railway

Lines ruled out:

• Over Junction - Ledbury
  • Grange Court Junction - Rotherwas Junction
  • Mitcheldean Road - Whimsey
  • Ross-on-Wye - Monmouth
  • Bullo - Cinderford & Whimsey
  • Awre Junction - Blakeney and beyond
  • Lydney - Severn Bridge
  • Lydney - Lydbrook Junction
  • Coleford Junction - Coleford
  • Serridge Junction - Cinderford
  • Tufts Junction - Drybrook Road Junction (Mineral Loop)
  • Wye Valley Junction - Monmouth
  • Wyesham Junction - Coleford
  • Branches serving quarries and mines
  • Tramways and tramroads

I think that means every disused railway west of the Severn and east of the Wye has been ruled out!

Too subtle for this lot but I got it!

Perhaps they couldn't see the wood for the trees? Or anything else for that matter! There is a very good reason why my photos contain no railway artefacts.

I asked for the name of the railway company. If you know please post it, but not the exact location just yet.

So that's Collinpark Wood. I was only 2 miles out with my suggestion of Newent. smile.gif

See: http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=17&lat=51.9499&lon=-2.3718&layers=176&right=BingSat

Martin.

Yes, you were close and I felt bad writing not the Newent Railway.

Here's a Streetmap 1:25000 map that works with older browsers:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=375000&Y=228000&Z=115

I hope people don't feel cheated by my choosing an abandoned railway that never had a chance of becoming disused. The Worcester, Dean Forest & Monmouth Railway is mentioned in "The Great Western Railway in Dean" by H. W. Paar, which along with its companion "The Severn & Wye Railway" are excellent little books, however what the author says about the WDF&M is not entirely accurate. More info later, if anyone is interested.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the pictures it could be any one of a few thousand branches.

Mike.

I have been giving this a deal of thought over the last few days and I have even looked things up in my AA Book of British Flora.

My conclusion is that you have been barking up the wrong tree. I am not so sure that it is a branch at all. I couldn't find any evidence of suitable branches in that neck of the woods so I reckon it is elsewhere entirely. I think it is probably a trunk route, possibly Nine Elms or Sevenoaks, or something of that sort.

I have been giving this a deal of thought over the last few days and I have even looked things up in my AA Book of British Flora.

My conclusion is that you have been barking up the wrong tree. I am not so sure that it is a branch at all. I couldn't find any evidence of suitable branches in that neck of the woods so I reckon it is elsewhere entirely. I think it is probably a trunk route, possibly Nine Elms or Sevenoaks, or something of that sort.

Leave it out Tony, that sort of comment needs nipping in the bud, it's the root cause of dissent. :jester:

Collinpark Wood or Collin Park Wood is a fragment of ancient woodland and a Site of Special Scientific Interest. Part of it is owned by the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust, including the abandoned railway.

http://www.gloucestershirewildlifetrust.co.uk/reserves/Collin-Park-Wood

Coming from Gloucester, there is a small parking area on the right just before the entrance to Brand Green Fruit Farm and I've been to this pick-your-own quite a lot of times without ever realising what was on the other side of the road.

Just outside the gate to the wood there is a dispenser that holds free copies of a leaflet with information about the WDF&M Railway and the wood's connection with Dick Whittington:

kNmgm7DRg2sf.jpg

Larger image:

http://250kb.de/u/160426/j/dt7JZcrtagKw.jpg

An embankment was created just north of the cutting and from old maps the total length of the two was about six-tenths of a mile, between the 100' and 200' contours from north to south. Much of the embankment appears to have been removed but there should be part still in existence inside the nature reserve. I didn't examine it as the gap between cutting and embankment looked to be a shallow pond.

I think it is worth a visit, particularly at this time of year with the bluebells and wood anemones in bloom. Warning - even if you think the weather has been fairly dry take your wellies. When I went the main path, which is fairly steep in places, was a bit of quagmire and even with wellies on I kept to the left or right of it.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know about the original set of photos, but is Martyn's somewhere near one of the artworks which populate (or used to populate) part of the Forest, namely the line of carved sleepers? I am sure I have been under that bridge on foot or probably on a bicycle. Not that far from Speech House and the plush centre the Forestry Commission has built, whose name escapes me.

Jonathan

The Forestry Centre is Beechenhurst, it's just over the road, and a little further towards Speech House and Cinderford, from where the FDR propose terminating their extension from Parkend. If built, it will run past Cannop Ponds and terminate at a new station to be called, I think, Speech House Road.

There is a road bridge over a lifted railway on that same road, nearer to Cinderford and close to The Dilke hospital.

• RMweb Gold

There is a road bridge over a lifted railway on that same road, nearer to Cinderford and close to The Dilke hospital.

That is another part of the family cycle trail, which is a loop that takes in the new Pedalbikeaway centre, Lightmoor, New Fancy, and Cannop Ponds for those not aware.

For the DFR's proposed northern extension, the cycle trail would have to be reconstructed alongside the railway between Parkend and Cannop, which is currently one of the main stumbling blocks at this point in time. The same applies for any further extension on to Cinderford as most, if not all of the trackbed is now either cylce tracks or footpaths.

• RMweb Premium

I know it is a detour, but I have found the photo I was referring to. It was one item in a sculpture trail which included a large stained glass window suspended in the trees, a massive chair on a hill top, some deer leaping through a pond etc etc. Are any of the exhibits still there?

Jonathan

post-13650-0-10000600-1462109800_thumb.jpg

Archived