What Wagon is this one?

An Old Wagon in a box at the bottom in the rubbish, but what is it? and who made it, it just has Made in England on the bottom, and Tri-ang couplings, so Tri-ang?

post-6750-0-12031000-1464903074_thumb.jpg

Never like throwing out, so a restore and re-wheel, (the broken wheels did not look like Tri-ang), but what is the prototype?, (the transfers remains seem to have NER on the left).

post-6750-0-46997900-1464903089_thumb.jpg

It needs the brakes moved inline with wheels,, new buffers and modern couplings, plus handrails on the end, and details of a livery as well.

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

One of these - 

http://ebid.s3.amazonaws.com/upload_big/4/4/4/1354475559-6674-69.jpg

Looks to be tapered so probably based on diagram R5, the second wagon here, the others are R4.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7771/926/400/image%20elect%20small.0.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I love the latter shot seen it before but an excellent picture. I always wonder if the train air brake was ever used on these loco's other than when running together

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifwg rm.jpg

Got the same shot, where they confined to the NER? seems an odd choice of wagon for Triang.

Stephen.

They will have got across to West Cumberland and I believe the may have been used to Scunthorpe.

I love the latter shot seen it before but an excellent picture. I always wonder if the train air brake was ever used on these loco's other than when running together

There were no wagons used on the route that had automatic brakes!

The colour is odd in the digital shot, blue, it is dark grey in normal light, (daylight lamp), so I will do it in a lighter grey, with load, and new brakes in line with the tyres.

Just needs NER and a serial number.

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

As far as I know the only air fitted NER wagons were some 24t ironstone hoppers

It was the 30t S3 hoppers, not sure if the bogie coal hoppers were fitted? there were of course fish and perishable wagons that were fitted.

• RMweb Gold

It was the 30t S3 hoppers, not sure if the bogie coal hoppers were fitted? there were of course fish and perishable wagons that were fitted.

I know some NER wagons were vacuum fitted but it's only the ironstone hoppers I know were air fitted

A lot of NER freight loco's had no train brake, the Q7s being a notable exception having vac train brakes. I believe J21s and 25s having dual brakes whereas later classes had none

attachicon.gifwg rm.jpg

Got the same shot, where they confined to the NER? seems an odd choice of wagon for Triang.

Stephen.

No stranger than the Hull & Barnsley van that formed a staple of their wagon range :D.

...seems an odd choice of wagon for Triang.

No stranger than the Hull & Barnsley van that formed a staple of their wagon range

The 'odd choice of wagon' syndrome, long endemic to RTR. Why pick the version of a wagon or a wagon type that can be seen 'everywhere' when a real rarity offers (BR 1/250 meat, 150 examples) likewise cattle wagons, SR vans, china clay opens etc.. I can see sense in adding the 'spice' to a range of standard types, but ignoring the standard types near completely - something we are only just escaping in RTR - and majoring on relative rarities is inexplicable to this boring fellow.

Interesting how the lettering is placed over the strapping. It would be much easier to move the letters inward.

Sometimes it was. What was the instruction to the paint shop foreman? 'Dispose ownership markings symmetrically?'. That would be open to interpretation, symmetrically about centreline only, or symmetrically within panel also? I can see in some pictures of wagons by outside contractors that the 'N E' is disposed symmetrically only about centreline, avoiding crossing the ironwork.

This is a typical Triang compromise, have chassis and will put a body on it!

It has all the features of the North Eastern R5 coke hopper, even having a representation of the end brake! The main compromise is that it is on the all steel 16' 6" OH chassis!

If the chassis was changed to a wooden one I am sure that it would make a passable R5 (end brake) or R6 Coke Hopper (converted from P4) , or a P4 Coal Hopper if the Coke Raves were removed!

Drawings of these are in Tatlow LNER Wagons Vol Two. Beware that the drawing is a side elevation of a R6 and end elevation of the R5.

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

No stranger than the Hull & Barnsley van that formed a staple of their wagon range :D.

And the NER refrigerator van was there just as long, I'm sure there was quite a few accurate models spoilt by that naff chassis.

And the NER refrigerator van was there just as long, I'm sure there was quite a few accurate models spoilt by that naff chassis.

The biggest crime of the "Naff" chassis is the Cemflo, it captures the shape of the prototype but would be nice if this model was introduced in its correct incarnation!

Mark Saunders

Archived