Aluminum Fremo Module

Hello all,

This is the sample of Fremo module made in aluminum from Helsinki Model Railway Club. Humidity of air is one of the biggest problem when using wood. This might be the possible decision for our problem. Please enjoy :)

Petri Sallinen

Helsinki Finland

FNckUS.jpg
t9qqDe.jpg
mY4wT1.jpg
KcFXuJ.jpg
3oX4R8.jpg
WXaMQ4.jpg
MqAsQc.jpg
nLqwYj.jpg
eyrzIL.jpg

Metal is more susceptible to temperature changes then wood and would manifest itself from the earliest use. If a wooden module warps, it's built too flimsy :rolleyes:  (I still have modules build almost 30 years ago, no warping despite being stored in less-then-ideal conditions!) Aluminium is also considerably more expensive then wood and certainly more difficult to cut just right. Meaning that the exact end-profiles shown need machining, adding even more cost to it. Some of my fellow club members have been building modules for longer then I have, and they've never done a metal one, for a reason :P

Varying of temperature is not our problem — I think that temperature in our rooms is about 20 degrees all around the year :) Humidity of air is varying in Finland very much between summer and winter times. In winter time air is very dry — moisture percent of air is about 18 and in summer time it might be about 80 percent. This kind of varying is very hard thing for wooden construction. Believe me — we are living from forestry industry and we are building mainly wooden houses. We know the limitation of Finnish plywood — that´s why we have used for example steel in our layout frames :)

Can you not use marine ply suitably coated with moisture proofing all over?

Build the baseboards in winter when it is dry.

What will you build the track bed on which you lay your track out of?

Gordson A

Can you not use marine ply suitably coated with moisture proofing all over?

Build the baseboards in winter when it is dry.

What will you build the track bed on which you lay your track out of?

Gordson A

Many of us are using different kinds of wood based material for making layout because it is more simple to handle than metals — despite of problems of wooden material. MDF is quite useful material (maybe the best of wooden based materials) — especially sanitary quality or weatherproof MDF that is used for making outdoors for Finnish houses. Marine ply is also available or different kinds of coated plys (for example plastic coated) — we have the huge amounts of plys because our industry is making them. One of the best might be aircraft ply, but this is not easy to get any more. Foam based insulating plates are also popular material. Personally I am not using any plys.

Here you will find a lot of information of Finnish plywood if you like — all in English.

http://www.wisaplywood.com/Products/product-catalogue/Pages/default.aspx

This is the baseboard of my N scale layout. The underframe was made by using square steel tubes. Over the steel frame I have used sanitary MDF that is waterproof and over that is foam insulatiing plate. The track bead is 3 mm MDF that I have painted.

k17KMy.jpg

Petri

Edited by Petri Sallinen
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Petri,

an interesting approach for special conditions! Judging from the clean skillful work I assume you are working in a metal machining company :) ?

We use an aluminum frame under a 2x3 meter "transition module". It connects two module heights of 1,30m and 1,05m, and is split in 4 parts. The frame supports the weight without problems and the adjustment is very easy. I think transporting/assembling/adjusting and disassembling a wooden construction for this purpose would be much more difficult...

Michael

Edited by teetrix

Hi Petri,

Thank you for your explanation.

I have never heard of Sanitary MDF in the UK, has any one else?

Gordon A

Sanitary MDF is same as the moisture resistant MDF. It has different glue (=resin) inside than standard MDF has.

http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/moisture-resistant-mdf-board-9mm-x-1220mm-x-2440mm.html

Edited by Petri Sallinen
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Varying of temperature is not our problem — I think that temperature in our rooms is about 20 degrees all around the year :) Humidity of air is varying in Finland very much between summer and winter times. In winter time air is very dry — moisture percent of air is about 18 and in summer time it might be about 80 percent. This kind of varying is very hard thing for wooden construction. Believe me — we are living from forestry industry and we are building mainly wooden houses. We know the limitation of Finnish plywood — that´s why we have used for example steel in our layout frames :)

Temperature variation is a concern when it comes to FREMO Modules. Whilst the indoor temperature of the hall where we meet is much the same as our homes. The transit temperature may not be. A couple of years back I went to a meeting in Braunlage, in the Harz mountains. It was -10°C outside, So modules in vehicles that were left over night (due to travelling distance), or where in unheated van compartments, or unheated trailers would go from the +20°C of the module owners home, down to -10°C during transit, and back upto ~+20°C. That sort of temp swing is enough that metal modules would experience some expansion/contraction issues. 

A few years back I took my FREMO module to Warley, and in the process of it going from my flat, to a cold walk to the station to warm train, the lack of expansion gaps on my rails had caused them to warp slightly. 

Yes Humidity is an issue. But so is temperature. 

J

• 3 years later...

Hello all,

I'm bringing up this old thread becaue I'm designing a modular station for our Fremo layout (correttotracciato.eu) and I'm looking for ideas to make the structure lighter and stronger.

The original post by Petri Sallinen had some photos but I can only see a list of fle names, no pictures.

Is there a way to see them?

I'm also planning on having folding legs, but I still have to come up with an idea on how to build them.

Cheers from Italy,

Guido

• 2 years later...

My experience is the lighest method of module construction is 3mm plywood for facias, bracing and track support. Scenery using  using foam to support glue shell. 17mm or thicker plywood end boards are required for clamping strength. Seperate legs make the module lighter, though extra space for storing seperate legs is required.