Millarville mkII this time its Freemo

AndrewC

A couple of quick snaps of the new plain and boring module, as well as some more detail around the station/museum area. 

post-2818-0-80300700-1492630296_thumb.jpg

The first blast of static grass is down. Next will come some more detailing and a second blast of a darker green grass as for some reason this batch was far lighter than the last packet of the same colour. 

post-2818-0-12285900-1492630407_thumb.jpg

post-2818-0-97065700-1492630472_thumb.jpg

post-2818-0-37063800-1492630510_thumb.jpg

post-2818-0-06997400-1492630532_thumb.jpg

The 'new' buildings are all resin kits taken directly from CP drawings. The group that made the kits started out by casting their own coach bodies in O scale as there was nothing commercially available. After a while they turned to structures and did a short run in HO. I've had these for around 15 years now. Finally got round to finishing the first 3 and making some headway on the station. The station building is a CP type 13 and was the last kit produced before one of the moulds failed. 

Good thing I'm going back to Canada in 6 weeks as I've really diminished my supply of CP tuscan paint. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Doing a bit of detail work on the module prior to its next outing in Wells at the Mendip Freemo meet. 

post-2818-0-83381400-1508752581.jpg

SD40-2F 9009 ensuring the maximum traffic disruption. Hopefully I'll be able to get the crossing lights and arms operational in time. 

post-2818-0-37047400-1508752790.jpg

One of several vehicle additions to the module. 

post-2818-0-43417500-1508752809.jpg

Looking east from the station. (now the Millarville Historical society and railway museum)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Are you going to populate the done car?

Tempting, as is populating all 20 coaches. But first I need the NMRA gauge that John is shipping me from Oregon. Don't like to bash Rapido but no 2 axles on any of the coaches have the same back to back measurement. Need to adjust them all. 

For the 3 people that actually still look at this topic...... 

Some more crappysnaps from the iPhone. 

attachicon.gifIMG_3330.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3331.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3333.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3334.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3339.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3335.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3341.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3344.JPG

I think there are probably more than 3 people looking at your excellent work. However, there is no doubt that many RMwebbers seem to have deserted 'USA and Canadian Railroads' This year, sadly,

there has been far less 'traffic'. US forums that I've looked seem to follow this trend. Where has everyone gone, I wonder?

Mal

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 1

Two main reasons I think - 1. The cost / MSRP of models - which is rapidly becoming silly, and 2. The ever increasing stratospheric cost of shipping - many ebay sellers seem to be inflating postage to ridiculous prices in addition to charges via Pitney Bowes - which not only adds to cost but delivery time as well. Also the Royal Mail HM Customs collection charge if it doesn't come via P-B. I'm still modelling USA rails though! If you don't believe me see what it costs for a bulk pack of 20 pairs of Kadee #5 couplers

Edited by shortliner

I agree with Shortliner about the costs of new models. The days when I could justify the expense of a new RTR loco are long gone though it is possible to pick up a bargain on Ebay occasionally. Shortlines and interurbans are still an affordable alternative to the big mainline stuff, especially if you like hacking stuff about, but I guess it depends what floats your boat.

• Like 1

I agree with the  above comments. This would account for some people buying less or even leaving the hobby altogether.

However, I was thinking more about those who continue to have an interest in modelling and/or US/Canadian prototype railroads. Are they perhaps using some other form of social media eg Facebook?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I must admit that I dont post very much on my US layouts these days and much the same with the rest of mine as there just doesn't seem to be as much interest as there used to be and often no responses at all.

Edited by roundhouse

Some very nice work there I look forward to seeing it at Wells freemo at the weekend.

I agree with the comments above, this hobby is becoming more expensive and I'm finding that I need to be a bit more picky with what I buy and some of the stuff I'm keeping.

Simon

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind comments guys. The tongue in cheek "three viewers" was a reference to something Roundhouse and I have discussed at the pub on more than one occasion. That being the decline in activity on most layout threads, not just the North American ones. I've noticed quite a few layouts and modules now have their own facebook page. Much of the modular chatter on here has decamped to Facebook as well. There could be many reasons for this. One I can think of off hand is uploading images. On RMweb, I've had to flip, save, flip back, save each picture to keep them from coming out sideways. The forum software can't read the orientation property of the files for some reason. It can only handle one at a time too. On FB, its a couple of clicks or taps, and your whole photo session is uploaded ready to go. 

Agree with Jack and Mal that North American modelling is becoming prohibitively expensive. Shipping, customs, devaluation of the £, all adds up. My last order from PWRS was only 4 box cars, caboose, and SD40-2F. The postage added £30 and the customs with ParcelFarce's extortion fee was over £80. I've also got a bunch of stuff pre-ordered from Rapido. The drop in the £ since June 16 has added £246 to that cost just from the exchange rate. Things will only get worse as the 0% duty tariff on toys, which is what model trains is broadly classified as, will expire upon Brexit. Unless we have a new trade deal with the Yanks you can add 11% duty on top of VAT thanks to the WTO regulations. That will also apply to anything coming from Canada or the EU. 

Back to the module: Simon, yesterday I finished installing the Azatrax module and sensors for the crossing signals. These will be working during the weekend hopefully. The only issue at the moment is there seems to be a short in one of the lights in the crossing arm. Works sometimes, then stops. The controller flashes up a bunch of warning lights as well. May have to disconnect the one LED and park a truck with repair crew in front of it. 

Jack: Invicta Models just down the road from me has the Kadee #11 pack (20 pair of #5s) shows as in stock £27.99 

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments guys. The tongue in cheek "three viewers" was a reference to something Roundhouse and I have discussed at the pub on more than one occasion. That being the decline in activity on most layout threads, not just the North American ones. I've noticed quite a few layouts and modules now

Jack: Invicta Models just down the road from me has the Kadee #11 pack (20 pair of #5s) shows as in stock £27.99 

Plus £4.00 for postage.  I rest my case - that comes out at £1.60 a pair just for couplers   PS  If that is Invicta Models of Sidcup, according to the website they don't do Kadees

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

Smith’s 3-link couplings, per pack of four pairs, are about £9.50 assembled, and £6.20 I assembled, or nearly £2.40/£1.55 respectively per pair.

I haven’t included postage costs.

So about the same for someone in 00 wanting to use more prototypical couplings, if they are prepared to put the links on the hooks, etc.

£1.60 for a pair of working automatic couplers with magnetic remote uncoupling capabilities that look reasonably like the prototype seems quite cheap.

I suppose that if you have 100 cars to convert, then it is quite expensive, but if you can afford 100 cars, then it may not be such a consideration...

Plus £4.00 for postage. I rest my case - that comes out at £1.60 a pair just for couplers PS If that is Invicta Models of Sidcup, according to the website they don't do Kadees

Yes they do. Click under HO. £1.60 a pair is reasonable really. Edited by AndrewC

I was worried about couplers too, so I just looked around and found... Hattons I think, who were selling Bachmann ez-mate ones for about £2.50 for a whole sheet of coupler packets. I've now got about 60 pairs of knuckle couplers sitting in my spares box that I paid a measly £10 for.

Granted they aren't Kadee quality, but realistically - how many of us are actually running 30+ car trains in HO scale?

I was worried about couplers too, so I just looked around and found... Hattons I think, who were selling Bachmann ez-mate ones for about £2.50 for a whole sheet of coupler packets. I've now got about 60 pairs of knuckle couplers sitting in my spares box that I paid a measly £10 for.

Granted they aren't Kadee quality, but realistically - how many of us are actually running 30+ car trains in HO scale?

Athearn have been using the Bachman couplers for a while. In my humble opinion, they suck. Every coupling issue we had last weekend at the Freemo meet came down to crappy plastic couplers. I've got a running programme to replace all non-Kadee and standardise the stock. They may cost more but worth the investment.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Every coupling issue we had last weekend at the Freemo meet came down to crappy plastic couplers. I've got a running programme to replace all non-Kadee and standardise the stock. They may cost more but worth the investment.

As with everything, you get what you pay for - and cheap purchases end up costing more.

I standardised on either #5 or #148,those clones weren't reliable enough, my Kadee's work 95% of the time, the other 5% is operator error!!

Still have my stone hoppers with Bachmann couplings with the tail cut off,#5 at each end of the fixed rake.

Think we've all try clones at sometime, but have all gone back to Kadee's

Ray

Edited by long island jack

Some corners you can cut and get away with it - I'm happy enough playing with badly weathered blue box freight cars, but if they won't couple to each other or the loco properly then even if it's a Rapido product then it's no good to me. Hence I fit kadees to all my stock.

Though I daresay if you standardise on one type it'll work fine, it's mixing things that's probably the big problem.

Edited by Zomboid

Yes they do. Click under HO. £1.60 a pair is reasonable really.

Andrew - my apologies - you are quite right - but it is very odd - I hadn't scrolled down the HO page, but went to that page, and simply typed in "Kadee", and "Kadee #5"# into the search box to be greeted with this

post-6688-0-73435600-1510582293_thumb.jpg

Edited by shortliner