Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Posted Image What was your favourite model of 2017? Cast your vote

Photo
- - - - -

Signals in 7mm 4mm and 2mm scales

smd leds servos 7mm scale 4mm scale

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 Stephen Freeman

Stephen Freeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 12 July 2017 - 20:23

Looks like a Peak Forest collection

indeed it is well spotted

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#102 Portchullin Tatty

Portchullin Tatty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts
  • LocationEast Surrey

Posted 07 August 2017 - 18:52

Here are some LNER signals I've just finished in 4mm scale. The bracket signal is of ex-GER design and uses the etches from Mark Tatlow shown above. No working lights required on these and they will be operated by servos using GF Control boards.

attachicon.gifscrogginsger.jpg

I have something more modern to show you in a moment.

Hi Stephen,

Good to see my etches in use!

Here is my relatively similar equivalent - although this is a bit earlier so the M&H lower quadrant arms are retained.

100_2018compress.JPG

And if anyone wishes to see the wider signalling stuff I have been doing, generally NER or HR signals then take this link - I have an update to do at some point as the last batch of signals are done!

• Craftsmanship/Clever x 2
  • Like x 2

#103 Stephen Freeman

Stephen Freeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 13 August 2017 - 15:08

I am in the process of completing a batch of NER and GNR signals at the moment. I have a copy of the OPC book on GNR signalling and the NERA book on NER signalling to help me.

One tip  is that whilst in general following Mick Nicholsons short treatise in the book on NER signals, I did find it possible to connect the operating wire to the signal arm once it was in place, however this is only possible if you leave off the finial until afterwards. That way you can rotate the arm a bit more and it all becomes relatively easy.

There will be some photos later this coming week. Signals will have working lights and be servo operated, servo control boards are by Uhlenbrock as they will be DCC controlled.

#104 Stephen Freeman

Stephen Freeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 30 September 2017 - 13:11

Well I still haven't got around to those photos but here are a couple of photos of GW stuff recently completed. The aforementioned signals will be appearing hopefully this coming week but I will be mainly busy on trackwork for a few days, now that I have a supply of Modelu 2 bolt slide rail chairs

gwbracketwithroute.jpg

The route indicator is non-working - customer spec but could be easily converted to work if he changes his mind. The middle control rod isn't normally bent but I must have had the bottom bit pressing on base when I took the photo. it returned to normal once removed from the clamp holding the signal in position for the photo.

Both signals are servo powered and I have fitted 10k resistors to obviate any tendency for the motors to twitch at switch-on, you'll still get the twitch at power on if the the servo control board hasn't been adjusted as the motor tries to centre itself

gwbracketnoroute.jpg

• Like x 5
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 2

#105 Stephen Freeman

Stephen Freeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 03 November 2017 - 15:29

Sorry I've been busy most of October but anticipate a couple of new things to show you over the weekend.

#106 Stephen Freeman

Stephen Freeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 13 November 2017 - 16:53

Well just a couple to keep you interested until later this week, when I'll be putting some photos of the slotted and somersaults on at last, if I can find the time.

All 4mm scale these:

First off is fairly standard LMR bracket signal - no working lights on this one (but sporting Modelu Adlakes) worked by servos and GF Controls Dual Control Board.

LMRbracket.jpg

Second up is a Southern (ex LSWR bracket signal) many will be familiar with those at Bournemouth West in later days, well this is based on a 1938 photo (not a very good one so I've had to make some assumptions). At this time the arms were Lower Quadrant and the shunt arms were also Lower Quadrant ones rather than the more familiar Westinghouse discs. I had 2 to build (the other one is just the same) both operated by Servo motors as above, Illumination of the main arm lamps is by smd leds though in both cases the shunt arms have been requested to be non- working, though this could easily be altered at a later date if so wished.  I see I need to adjust one of the handrail stanchions - not a problem.

bournemouthwest1938.jpg

These were by and large no problem but for one which took 3 goes to get to work and I still don't know why, can only think a fault with the failed leds or my soldering of them.

Sorry no time for videos, must get on to the next project.

Edited by Stephen Freeman, 13 November 2017 - 17:00 .

• Craftsmanship/Clever x 4
  • Like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: smd leds, servos, 7mm scale, 4mm scale