9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Sorry if I'm being dumb here, Stephen, but what is the purpose of the adaptor?

It transfers the action of the point motor to a sliding bar, which connects to the point blades. Full info etc is on their website. You do have to be a member of scalefour these days to buy them.

Alternatively you can buy something similar from c&l for 5 times the price and it doesn't have any location for the point motor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Stephen Freeman said:

It transfers the action of the point motor to a sliding bar, which connects to the point blades. Full info etc is on their website. You do have to be a member of scalefour these days to buy them.

Alternatively you can buy something similar from c&l for 5 times the price and it doesn't have any location for the point motor.

Ah, got it. Thanks.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

4mm scale GWR/WR tubular bracket signal under construction, just checking the lights are working OK. SMD Leds warm white, Modelu lamp bodies and Wizard for the arms etc. It will be servo controlled when I get around to it.The lamps are painted silver to block any light coming out where it shouldn't do. Lamp bases still need to be sealed to stop light coming through from there but didn't want to do that until all checks completed.

gwrtubularbracket.jpg.610369ad4c959afe2fb3df42765e4be1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 months later...

Good Morning,

A couple more signals recently completed

Firstly an LNER bracket signal, working led lights, servo control with GF Dual control board

lnerbracket.jpg.844bed7ff7053391dc96ac924f0e52a4.jpg

Secondly a SR (LSWR) Bracket signal based on All Hallows  without the elevated dummies (Ground signals). again working LED lights with GF Controls Dual control board

allhallows4mm.jpg.29d4a525b5de134343fe4b334d448aaf.jpg

I have also been busy building some ex LSWR lower quadrant signals and will try to photograph them before despatch.

The next project is a little different to the norm being a 7mm scale model of a Ffestiniog double arm signal. I believe there is a replica (non-functional) at Tan-y- bwlch station.

I have got as far as the post and arms. I have used one of my posts suitably shortened with the arms secured to the slotted part. It will be another servo operated job.

More on that soon.

• Like 9

So it begins. 7mm scale Ffestiniog double arm signal

Ladder - Model Signal Engineering - chemically blackened.

Stage - Ditto

Cranks -ditto

Post - mine

Slot - scratch built from brass scrap

Arms - Modified Model Signal Engineering - they were originally meant to be somersault arms, but with a bit of modification , i.e. filling in holes, drilling new hole and re-shaping

Base - Brass Sheet

Servos - Towerpro 9g

The arms are secured by brass tube (it could have been rod, which would have done equally well) soldered to the cranks

The lower cranks are secured on a Stainless Steel pin.

The lamp is from a section of square tube with a length of round tube for the lenses which are countersunk. The top vent being a piece of brass rod. Chemically blackened

Now I have read that horizontal = danger, 45 degrees = caution  and vertical = clear

Now most servo controllers can only cope with two positions, in this case that is all that is asked for at the moment. But just for the hell of it, I will use a MERG SEMA4 unit to cope with the need for 3 positions. How you might ask? Well I believe it is sort of possible but it needs 2 channels and 2 switches for each arm. More in due course. IMG_2187.jpg.f316d9ad97347cfe0bfbf7a39f7b54c5.jpg

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 1 month later...

I have just been experimenting with DIY Transfers for signal arms. Previous attempts have left me disappointed, however I have tried again, this time with better decal paper (MDP) and the results seem encouraging, I have used an Epson Inkjet printer. I found that that the ink will run, however a protective spray of suitable lacquer does the trick. Stop signals were never a problem but distant ones were very tricky. This should simplify them. I will post a photo soon. I willl need to slightly adjust the design for the GWR ones as I didn't quite get the size right, easily resolved.

Photo soon

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

distanattransfer.jpg.1d0ed982f3038278d966d9f3d1bd0330.jpg A bit fuzzy but looks better in real life, always a problem with close-ups, twice life size in this case. As luck would have it I had done the design previously in another program but couldn't find it, whilst doing this I found it again though! Actually prefer the new version myself.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

They look good, Stephen. I've tried ready-made transfers in 4mm scale but didn't really get on with them. Nowadays I just paint the base colour on the arms and use coloured transfer strips for the stripes.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

They look good, Stephen. I've tried ready-made transfers in 4mm scale but didn't really get on with them. Nowadays I just paint the base colour on the arms and use coloured transfer strips for the stripes.

Well I only really decided to do it because of the tricky nature of the distant arms, though quite useful if I need to do any with writing on as well. Plain stop arms not really a problem.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Well I only really decided to do it because of the tricky nature of the distant arms, though quite useful if I need to do any with writing on as well. Plain stop arms not really a problem.

Yes, they're tricky, which is why I decided to cut the stripes from black transfer paper, using the notch as a template (Scalelink arms). I do the same with stop arms too. I haven't had to build a model with writing on, yet...

• Like 2

Hi,

Just for the hell of it I have attached a JPG and PDF of my original effort, which I did in an ancient version of Turbocad, these days I use a more upto date versiondistants.jpg.e65b2fe24fbdd86c23c9e197af36b390.jpgdistants.pdf

Here is a PDF sigarmstransfers.pdf of my most recent effort in Drawplus, it includes the arms I did with writing on.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

With Reference to the 7mm scale Ffestiniog signal, I have taken a photo of progress thus far. I have created some special transfers for the arms, which have been printed but now just waiting for the waterproof spray to cure, I leave it 24hours.tanybwich.jpg.dac991559cc493d922d54c700eeba83c.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

I've been at it again! A further sheet which will fill in a few blanks for me including the Ffestiniog armssigarmstransfers2.png.2187a470cfc24d5c1c9ed692843554f1.png

The discs look very nice.

• Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 6 months later...

Well I thought it was about time for an update. Yes I have been busy and lately I have been spending much time on the computer dealing with a couple of projects one 4mm scale and the other 2mm scale. The first etch from PPD has arrived and am very pleased with it. I have 2 more in the pipeline plus I have realised I will not have enough Stevens lattice posts (mainly dolls) so am doing another sheet to rectify this.

Here is a photo of an etch for half of a 20ft post, if you look carefully you can just make out the slight offset in the lattices. More photos of the other parts and signals in due course. Material is 0.30mm Nickel Silver etched by PPD.lattice1.jpg.9accbe9981714066ab3bd0d9104b3c65.jpg

• Like 7

A few more

annettblinds.jpg.08f7308a51eea75128d67f5deda1d1d0.jpg

Annett Blinds, considering how common they were, it is strange how seldom they are modelled.

stevensbb2.jpg.09985ffe6b85373c4eca084e66b9dc5b.jpg

Stevens Back blinders (never enough on the etc)

annettri.jpg.7a6c4988b51e076b97ef8813ebf3657c.jpg

Parts of a Route Indicator designed by Annett, which I might not ever use but filled a space on the etch The triangular dots lit up when the signal was at danger. The rest of the apparatus worked in a similar way to the GWR design, but I have not been able to find out if he ever used them even though he took the trouble to take a patent out.

annettrif.jpg.3ae051bf376eb3f9de7da6ae803a07da.jpg

routeindf.jpg.0fba98558265a429707122866b7dec5f.jpg

Standard LSWR/SR Route Indicator front. The back is similar but with a smaller hole. I will be using strip for the sides as I am not sure if I can make it scale depth, it just depends on how easy it will be to fit the indicators, I am thinking 3 pivotted on either side of the vertical making 6 in all max, so it might be possible. The hoods will be from suitable brass tube suitable altered to suit. I have 4 to make.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Just a short update, I have now finished snipping out most of the bits Ineed for the current project, though I will need some of the parts from the next 3 sheets as well.

I suspect I will need to order a further  sheet of the above though.

On the next 3 sheets, there will be some 2mm scale stuff as well hopefully.

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Like 3

Just finish adding resistors to the servo motors, 40 standard SG90s, resistors for leds and pull-up to help obviate twitch and then also but not least resistors for 62 3.7g servos, they are the ones that don't like 5vdc, so each gets one 47k and one 22k to bring the volts down to 3.5vdc and then they also need the 1k for the leds. Now I can actually start building the actual signals!

dropvolts.png.b6c1ff647fce3f4e3ecb6dbe848b5549.png

vdc= 5 * R1/(R1+R2)

R1=47k

R2=22K

Should give approx 3.4vdc but multmeter says 3.5vdc

• Like 4

Not a great deal of progress today so far, out most of yesterday and have been busy setting up a new website as the previous hosts seem to be problematic, having paid for the domain renewal which they appear to have failed to implement.

However I am currently doing battle with some Stevens flapdown ground signals(4mm scale) . Pictures in due course.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Progress at last! Fiddly but it works. Now to paint the prototype model, fit the LEDs, servo and microswitch.

The reason for the plural LEDs and the microswitch, is that they were converted to show  red/amber or green, having separate lights. Even the real ones had a built in switch. Very good photos etc on RailWests website.

• Like 2