Bradford (Exchange) Platforms 1-5 C1954 in 7mmFS

SimonME46

I'm finally able to start work on retirement project #1, which is the layout and rolling stock for Bradford. Other retirement projects including restoring a 100yo 40' ferry and house renovations snuck in the queue ahead of this.

I have had the layout operational as of 10 years ago, but haven't been able to do much since. So this is how we are right now, with the layout in my new 11m x 7m insulated, lined and air conditioned shed..I've also started widening the baseboards by 250mm

Next up is the goods warehouse. I've been doing the artwork preparatory to a session on the laser cutter. It would be smarter if I did this in 3D, but I've taken too long to get familiar with Inkscape.

Today's progress was the trusses for the roof. Of this, the red will be cut from 3mm MDF, Blue will be etched (straps and joins). And I'm sure it will all be invisible. I've added the end profile of beams etc just to remind myself of the bits I will also end up cutting out. I thought about using basswood etc for the beams, but blow it, it's not actually going to carry any load.

I've got the basic floor plan done, along with the loading bays and the lattice girder trusses. I think the next thing will be the wall cladding, and then the roof covering will be the final step, otherwise adjustments will be needed to tie in to the wall sheeting. an over view of progress to date is attached as well.

post-11161-0-46878700-1471438353_thumb.png

post-11161-0-96696800-1471438635_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

I got the main structure together, just sitting on the layout on a flat bit of future goods yard. It will end up against the backscene.

post-11161-0-30027600-1473254560.jpg

The 21 roof trusses were glued in on the front end only, and the front bargeboard support hung, which enabled the end bargeboard to be laminated (3mm ply covered by 1mm card) and test fit

post-11161-0-23907200-1473254579.jpg

Then the detail front barge board was added, along with a batten to hold it straight and clamp the top edge, foldback clips for the bottom edge.

post-11161-0-95205300-1473254600.jpg

A bit of mucking around to get the back batten in place, and then line up and glue the back of the 21 trusses to the truncated and hence blackened back wall. The left hand end bargeboard was fitted and some roof beams added.

post-11161-0-78291000-1473254614.jpg

And a final shot down the valley between the roofs, things have lined up pretty well. I should check they are all the same spacing at the pitch. I probably shouldn't have glued in the run of roof beams. Ah well. I need to re-cut thr roof beams for the right hand end as I made the overhang/bargeboard supports 3mm too long (1 thickness of ply)

post-11161-0-88244900-1473254628.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon, I've just come over from 3D printing. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on. I commuted from Hebden Bridge to Leeds every day, and this was the first time I'd ever been on a train that reversed from a station.

Hi Jason-thanks for your help with the columns. Shapeways order has been placed, and printing is underway.

I've had some good progress, more pics coming.

With the commute, did you go via Bradford exchange? Was this post '72 and therefore the interchange?

• RMweb Gold

Ah, the interchange, not the exchange. Coming from Lincolnshire, West Yorkshire was practically abroad when I was a kid :)

I hope the columns were the right size, etc.

Cheers

Jason

I am looking at this with interest as my layout is based on the same line, although its a different scale, a different era, and closer to Leeds.

I like the tram loco, also the lever frame in post 2, the buildings look like hard work to me, I like kit building but scratch building is not so easy and that gets a lot of respect from myself.

I am looking forward to more updates

Regards

Simon

The tram loco was an indulgence..part of the deceased estate, and my kids were young then..

The lever frame is Modratec, really enjoyed that exercise. Signals are high on the agenda.

Buildings with a laser cutter feels a lot like kit building!

The DMU is a Bachman Brassworks Derby Lightweight. It will be sold as is when the JLTRT one comes out, and I'll buy their kit.

Yes, rolling stock will be typical. So far I have built a Jubilee (acme), Black 5 (tower collection), 2x Fairburn 2-6-4t (DJH), a J50, and an Aspinall 2-4-2t (scratch built). The to-do cupboard has a Black 5 (David Andrews), B1 (DJH), Crab (JLTRT), fowler 2-6-4t (2 normal and 1 limousine), Stanier 2-6-4t, and an N1. Lots of carriage kits too. Should keep me occupied for years to come.

Slow progress-Jason (JCL) helped me with the 3D rendering of the columns, so I am awaiting delivery of those. I've been re-drawing the girders, which will never be seen, they have now been cut out and assembly started. Barge boards have been fitted, along with window frames and some roof beams. Roofing has been sketched out and just needs to be extended, but I don't want to fit that until after the columns/girders and ground treatment are complete. So I'm off for a 3 week driving holiday around Tasmania instead..

post-11161-0-22287700-1474673567.jpeg

post-11161-0-75753800-1474673581.jpeg

post-11161-0-30110900-1474673610.jpeg

post-11161-0-42889800-1474673625.jpeg

post-11161-0-46539800-1474673642.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

Just found your topic Simon - looking good. I'll be using Modratec frames as well. I see that yours is back-to-front so to speak - I will probably do the same so that the locking will be hidden under the baseboard.

You going to the BRMA Convention while you're in TAS?

• 3 weeks later...

The modratec frame is great. If I had my time again I'd go some more realistic levers, but the standard ones are fine. Flipping it was easy to do, no real traumas at all.

We are already back from Tasmania, so no chance of doing the convention...

• 2 weeks later...

They are indeed. Thanks for your kind comments, however now that I had a play with the artists gouache, I'm not happy...

I've been waiting for my columns to come from Shapeways. They finally arrived today. They are tiny. Something went badly wrong with the scaling!

Archived