Dapol 56 doesn't like corners

Boco_D1

• RMweb Premium

I picked up a Dapol class 56 at TINGS for a lovely bargain of £65, so far so good.

But when I've come to run it in the loco is having problem going around curves and keeps derailing. My curves are very generous and is made of 4th radius set track. Looking at the loco it seems the bogies are catching on the fuel tank. Does anyone else have this problem? I assume the resolution would be to trim the tank or the bogie, but I don't want to start hacking away at the model if there is a better fix.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe the bogies aren't fitted properly; I suggest you remove one, refit it and test, then do the same with the other if the problem persists. Rather than pull the bogies off, I lever them off with a flat-bladed knife or a suitable screwdriver. 

• RMweb Premium

I had a look at that and apart from finding a gallon of grease on the gears it didn't seem to make a difference. The pivoting of the bogies seemed a bit stiff mind, could this be the problem?

• RMweb Gold

Hi , Just checked a spare chassis base plate I have and belly tanks are part of a single moulding- never had bogies catch on any of mine. 

Stiff bogies would certainly make it fall off on curves as long as grease not stopping bogie swinging not an issue .

just checked with my 56013 and nothing seems to catch.

cheers

Robert  

• RMweb Premium

It was more the gears that where coated in grease rather than anything else. There does seem to be a bit of play in the bogies position and they seem to move back towards the tanks and catch on corners and don't return to normal on the straight.

Archived