Don't like Templot? Other programs are available. And a new one.

martin_wynne

I have used Templot to produce single point templates, which is very easy as it starts up with a point template that you can modify to get the point geometry you want.

The trouble then is that if you want to do anything else there is not so much a learning curve as a cliff face to climb. I have watched the tutorials which only seem to illustrate how difficult it is.

Is there an easy way into doing other things? I'd really like to be able to do slips.

Frank

Frank

The trick is to find both the tutorials and videos, have them open on the computer thew watch each move, pause the tutorial/video. Do it on Templot then go to the next stage etc. 

Its simple to follow in little bites, sometimes you may need to rewind once or twice. Just do one thing at a time and try to understand why/how the process works. 

Roll of lining paper, a ruler, a long straight edge and a pencil (and probably a rubber). My alternative to Templot. ;)

This might even work better initially when planning as Templot from what I gather is more of a tool for making track building templates, but some do use it to design plans

On the other hand, sketch a plan on to an A4 sheet, scan it into Templot and develop the idea further

TRAX2 can be got working on Wndows7 - see my previous post.

regards,

Martin.

I use Trax2 on Windows8 ok. When I had to do a reinstall I loaded the Trax cd on my laptop then copied it onto an SD card. Put the card into my WindowsXP notebook and installed there. Then copied the installed programme back onto the card, transferred to the Windows8 laptop and installed. Uninstalled from notebook. Runs fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I bought Templot back before it was free and am glad I did so. It is a beautiful labour of love. I don't think I'll ever build a layout but I used it to draw up one of CJF's trackplans and built all the pointwork for fun and it was excellent the way Templot let me get as close to the layout as drawn as reasonable and then print it out. Brilliant software and lightyears ahead of anything else I've seen.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd really like to be able to do slips.

Hi Frank,

Returning to this topic just to add that Templot can now do slips with a couple of clicks. See:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126021-slips-in-templot-can-now-be-created-automatically/

regards,

Martin.

None of the alternatives mentioned come anywhere near the scope of templot , proto87s offering is largely a template generator for a given set of point work only. The others are really track planning software. I use traxx3 as an quick and dirty way of planning custom track , but it's nowhere near as capable as templot and many of its formations take up far more room then they do in templot.

Basically the gold standard is templot , if it can't be built in templot it's unlikely to be possible , equally if templot says it will fit in "x" feet then it most assuredly will

I never cut baseboards until the whole track layout is in templot , yes it takes time , but it's better then ' try it and weep" approaches.

Edited by Junctionmad

Hi folks

There is know doubt about it Templot is a very  good program program. But it has a very steep learning curve maybe to steep for me to grasp fully but any problems in my case have to be me

I model in TT 1.120. and all the clearances i require are all there,so because this information is not easily found the program is excellent

I have made 6 curved points using templot and after a lot of effort they are well worth doing and work very well.

i have to admit i can not grasp how to make 3 tandem curved points by being able to draw point diagram sorry but i must be to thick!

But have made 2    3 way curved points a LHD and RHD   actually points are 1 straight 2 curved.

I started by using templot by Altering a  long curved point  to the radius i required when i was happy printed out cut out and tried on track when curves were right i then placed the diagram on clean sheet of paper and then i drew the straight mainline in, and after much messing about trials and many many errors  i successfully. stretched until all clearances were correct.

I then started to bulld the points but then had to adjust the length of point again to make enough clearance for 1st curve blades to move,then discovered that the blades were so short i had to hinge them.

then i had to work out the electrical side and ware the breaks should be again problems had to stretch again.

and finally i got to try loco through the points i use a fixed axle 0-8-0 if that goe's through every thing else will

Last week i got to fit the 2nd point in my lay and everything works fine

so i so wished i could have just drawn my three way points with templot and everything be perfect first time

I know i did not pay for templot but i would be willing to pay for good instructions to do things like above project from the emails above i am not alone with problems

i hope i have not bored you experts out there if i have sorry as i plainly are not

thanks all dirk

• RMweb Premium

I know i did not pay for templot but i would be willing to pay for good instructions to do things like above project from the emails above i am not alone with problems

Having a book is handy, but with Templot (and to be fair enough lots of other software, for all sorts these days) there are whole forums worth of questions and answers, which in some ways is better than a manual since that'll never be able to cover exactly everything a flexible program can do, and better still the man who wrote it also replies. So perhaps like the program itself getting the information might not be instantly obvious but is probably more comprehensive than a set of paid for instructions would manage.

• RMweb Gold

.....now while we`re on the subject of Templot.

I am a paid up member of Templot from way back but it is all on my ancient lap top with Vista (yuk)

I have recently attempted to upload Templot 2 onto my  latest laptop which is Windows 10 ( I have McAfee security)

but all I keep getting is.........

error

Movefile failed; code 183

Cannot create a file that already exists

If I ignore...... and carry on I get....

Create process failed ;code 2

cannot find specified file

I have transferred templot 2 from the one laptop to this one via a CD and it is usable but does not give me internet connection for the tutorials etc

any ideas ?????  BUT PLEASE CONVERSE IN LAYMAN`S TERMS AS i AM  COMPUTOR TALK BACKWORD !!

• RMweb Gold
On 29/10/2017 at 11:11, trainman67 said:

so i so wished i could have just drawn my three way points with templot and everything be perfect first time

Hi Dirk,

edit: Templot can now auto-create tandem turnouts. They may need a few minor adjustments afterwards, but 90% of the work is done for you. They can be single-sided or double-sided, straight or curved. more info here:

http://templot.com/companion/3_way_tandem_turnouts.php 

The problem there is that 3-way tandem turnouts are probably the most difficult to design because so many inter-related factors have to be taken into account, as you discovered.

Actually within Templot it is quite straightforward, the complexity is in the initial prototype design to create a viable arrangement.

I can easily make a tutorial to create a specific size of tandem in Templot, but it won't necessarily apply to any other size of tandem. Something may have to be changed, or moved, or done differently. You then get a write-up containing so many ifs and buts and on the other hands that no-one could ever follow it until they were experienced enough not to need it. confused.gif

However there are some notes about the basics of tandem turnouts here:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=2394&forum_id=22#p16119

There is also this very old video which needs updating and may be more hindrance than help:

http://templot.com/martweb/videos/3_way_tandem.exe

I will try to create a new tutorial/video for tandems, but I am still waiting for inspiration on how to tackle it without getting hopelessly bogged down in all the options and conflicts.

In the meantime, why not join the Templot Club user forum? Lots of friendly help at: http://85a.co.uk/forum/

regards,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold

.....now while we`re on the subject of Templot.

I am a paid up member of Templot from way back but it is all on my ancient lap top with Vista (yuk)

I have recently attempted to upload Templot 2 onto my  latest laptop which is Windows 10 ( I have McAfee security)

but all I keep getting is.........

error

Movefile failed; code 183

Cannot create a file that already exists

If I ignore...... and carry on I get....

Create process failed ;code 2

cannot find specified file

I have transferred templot 2 from the one laptop to this one via a CD and it is usable but does not give me internet connection for the tutorials etc

any ideas ?????  BUT PLEASE CONVERSE IN LAYMAN`S TERMS AS i AM  COMPUTOR TALK BACKWORD !!

aND AGAIN.............................................

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

That is causing your problem, my red. Please turn off your McAfee anti-virus while installing Templot.

In fact you don't need it at all with Windows10, which comes with its own anti-virus program (free) called Windows Defender which works fine and doesn't prevent you using your own computer the way you want to, such as installing Templot on it.

regards,

Martin.

Hi folks

There is know doubt about it Templot is a very  good program program. But it has a very steep learning curve maybe to steep for me to grasp fully but any problems in my case have to be me

I model in TT 1.120. and all the clearances i require are all there,so because this information is not easily found the program is excellent

I have made 6 curved points using templot and after a lot of effort they are well worth doing and work very well.

i have to admit i can not grasp how to make 3 tandem curved points by being able to draw point diagram sorry but i must be to thick!

But have made 2    3 way curved points a LHD and RHD   actually points are 1 straight 2 curved.

I started by using templot by Altering a  long curved point  to the radius i required when i was happy printed out cut out and tried on track when curves were right i then placed the diagram on clean sheet of paper and then i drew the straight mainline in, and after much messing about trials and many many errors  i successfully. stretched until all clearances were correct.

I then started to bulld the points but then had to adjust the length of point again to make enough clearance for 1st curve blades to move,then discovered that the blades were so short i had to hinge them.

then i had to work out the electrical side and ware the breaks should be again problems had to stretch again.

and finally i got to try loco through the points i use a fixed axle 0-8-0 if that goe's through every thing else will

Last week i got to fit the 2nd point in my lay and everything works fine

i hope i have not bored you experts out there if i have sorry as i plainly are not

thanks all dirk

Dirk

May I suggest you join Templot club if you are not already a member

Next is to try and copy the 3 way instructions in the format you need

Once you have hit a problem, then upload the file and see if anyone can assist you.

I have found that if you try something and get stuck there are a few who are willing to assist

Good luck

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

That is causing your problem, my red. Please turn off your McAfee anti-virus while installing Templot.

In fact you don't need it at all with Windows10, which comes with its own anti-virus program (free) called Windows Defender which works fine and doesn't prevent you using your own computer the way you want to, such as installing Templot on it.

regards,

Martin.

Hooooray!!!  Done it.......

Many thanks Martin

PS

Have purchased Sanilav and will be entering my shed after christmas and will no come out again until I have produced my first turd  / template    :victory:

• Like 1