Embsay Station

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

I am hoping RMweb members can help?

I am researching Embsay Station in Wharfedale, and have found a lot of information on the Embsay and Bolton Abbey web site which has some very good photos mostly taken around the time of the lines closure. This site and a couple of others including David Hey's have been of great help but l am hoping that possibly an RMweb member has or knows of any books which can give me greater detail on the station and its history.?

I have noted from the photos l have already seen that the regional boundary changes made some time in the later 50s? resulted in the former Midland signal box being painted blue and white but l ve not been able to find the date of that change.

I am also trying to collect details of stock and loco working through Embsay, and suspect that these details also could possibly found in a book somewhere.

Can anyone please help?

Bob C

See the BR era photo in "Lost railways of North and East Yorkshire" by Gordon Suggitt ISBN 978-1-85306-918-5

Or Railways of Wharfedale by Peter E Vaughan D&C 1969

• RMweb Premium

See the BR era photo in "Lost railways of North and East Yorkshire" by Gordon Suggitt ISBN 978-1-85306-918-5

Or Railways of Wharfedale by Peter E Vaughan D&C 1969

Many Thanks  AMJ That's two further sources to try

Cheers Bob C

I've always thought that Embsay would make an interesting layout, the engineer's wagons coming and going from the quarry would provide an added level of interest. But other than reading the Embsay and Bolton Abbey railway website like yourself, I did not research it any further.

• RMweb Premium

I've always thought that Embsay would make an interesting layout, the engineer's wagons coming and going from the quarry would provide an added level of interest. But other than reading the Embsay and Bolton Abbey railway website like yourself, I did not research it any further.

Morning DW

One of the things that attracted me to the station was the typical Midland track plan, with the additional trailing connection from the main line to the Quarry sidings, the other plus is the compact yet visually open aspect of the station. This translates into a layout less than 16 ft long, yet looks uncompressed, therefore visually pleasing to the eye.

If there is a draw back, it is that there was a limited variation of rolling stock running the normal timetable. However as the route was used as a diversionary path for south bound traffic from Skipton during engineering works etc, there is an excuse for running almost anything.

At the moment l am considering the track plan as a basis for a model based possibly further south. The relocation would allow possibly more traffic, plus l like the idea of the "local" quarry having an arrangement with the Midland Railway, by which they hired a 0-6-0t 1F tank for use in the quarry, making trips out onto the run-round loop to collect or deposit wagons for passing freight services. It could stand in the head shunt south of the 3 way point leading into the quarry.

Bob C

Morning DW

One of the things that attracted me to the station was the typical Midland track plan, with the additional trailing connection from the main line to the Quarry sidings, the other plus is the compact yet visually open aspect of the station. This translates into a layout less than 16 ft long, yet looks uncompressed, therefore visually pleasing to the eye.

If there is a draw back, it is that there was a limited variation of rolling stock running the normal timetable. However as the route was used as a diversionary path for south bound traffic from Skipton during engineering works etc, there is an excuse for running almost anything.

At the moment l am considering the track plan as a basis for a model based possibly further south. The relocation would allow possibly more traffic, plus l like the idea of the "local" quarry having an arrangement with the Midland Railway, by which they hired a 0-6-0t 1F tank for use in the quarry, making trips out onto the run-round loop to collect or deposit wagons for passing freight services. It could stand in the head shunt south of the 3 way point leading into the quarry.

Bob C

Sounds good Bob, the actual quarry did at one time use loco power, but switched over to hauling the ballast hoppers with a tractor. Which would make an interesting if somewhat tricky scenario to model!

I am also looking at Embsay. There was actually a gair variety of stock as there were oil & ammonia trains from the north east, alongside summer Saturday runs through to Blackpool from Saltburn.

As well as the regional change of colour schemes, the signal arms changed from Midland lower quadrants to BR upper quadrants between summer 58 & summer 59 (this info is from the Embsay site).

Also worth a look is David Hey's site, and the book on Rails in the northern dales.

The late Mike Marsden who was the chap who filmed most of the footage used in the Marsden Rail DVDs built and displayed at various exhibitions in the 70s and 80s a wonderful O gauge layout of this beautiful dales station on the former Arthington to Skipton line, once used by HRH Edward Prince of Wales. I've no idea what happened to the layout after Mike died. Hopefully, it survives somewhere to this day.

I'd often look at somewhere like this as you can take modellers license keeping signalling the same etc but to operate with different eras of rolling stock.

Midland, LMS and then BR green. There will be a couple of sub eras such as 1923 & 1948 with stock in a period of change over from one livery to the next. Without checking I think there will be the possibility to have NER/LNER running powers to Skipton (or yet more modellers license)!

Archived