DIORAMA & TEST TRACK ON WINDOWSILL

• RMweb Premium

Just found this thread. Nice little layout.

I know its too late now, but I have two manually operated three way points on my DCC layout. Frog polarity being changed by frog juicers. Works well.

Just found this thread. Nice little layout.

I know its too late now, but I have two manually operated three way points on my DCC layout. Frog polarity being changed by frog juicers. Works well.

Hi Colin

I will have to bear that in mind for the future

What I have for this diorama will do me. I had so much trouble (technology challenged :read: ) decided what I have done will have to do.

Am enjoying card building and developing the scene, hopefully stand me in good stead for when I go for a layout and fiddle yard.

Have decided not to rebuild the Scalescenes warehouse, but with the "boss's" help we have changed the awning to a grey tile which makes it look much better for this situation.

Will post a couple of more pics soon, when it is finished.

Regards

Edited by MANTY1

It's looking good. Can you post a photo of the track work as it's now laid, without the three way point?

Hi Sun VI

Hope these pics come out OK

Had to take it into the other room to get a long shot of it, so have done it from each end.

The Dark patch down the left hand side is where the Brick wall had fallen over, didn't see it until afterwards :dontknow:

As I have said before this is only meant to be a test track and help with scenery skills etc.

Can do quite a bit of shunting with her, and who knows, maybe one day I could put a fiddle yard at the bridge end, but not useable when it is on the windowsill.

Have to say I am learning a lot, been a long time coming, just have to see how we get on.

Regards

post-31454-0-83578300-1501692617_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-56255100-1501692621_thumb.jpg

Edited by MANTY1
  • Like 7

... As I have said before this is only meant to be a test track and help with scenery skills etc.

Can do quite a bit of shunting with her, and who knows, maybe one day I could put a fiddle yard at the bridge end, but not useable when it is on the windowsill.

Have to say I am learning a lot, been a long time coming, just have to see how we get on...

You've made yourself a nice little shunting puzzle there.  Regarding learning a lot, yes, you can pick up a lot of information and tips from reading the forums but it's only when you actually come to make something that you really find out what the problems are and how to solve them. 

It's looking good, hope you have fun.   

• Like 1

The boss decided we should clear out the garage today :protest: Which was a good idea really.

Sorting through a few odd bits came across an Ikea shelf 31" x 4" in pine with with raised edges (slightly higher at the back)

Immediately thought "this will do as a small fiddle yard" for those odd times I take her off the windowsill.

So that won't be got rid of, and next time I take the board of the cill will measure up for possible future use.

Also realised that with all my thinking about what to put on the board, the one main thing that started to slot everything in place was the backscene.

It was surprising what a difference it made and gave both of us a bit more inspiration.

Just playing with ballast at the minute before deciding type snd size to go for,

Have a good weekend.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Back from our holiday, so thought I would show how we are getting on.

Am going to use Natural Scenics dark grey ballast in a 50% N guage 50% 00 guage which we both think looks good.

Very helpful they were too, also included a few small samples of other items which will help with other ideas.

The warehouse has had an extension platform fitted which I think improves it. The canopy was changed but needs weathering down, looks too shiny. The small building to the left was a Metcalfe one which I cut in half, hopefully does the job.

Been testing the track and "yes" doing some shunting, seems to work OK. The morning goods has been sorted and stored in the back siding, later the 64XX will take it away and peace will return. The Hattons 14XX will move back to the coaling stage after the goods has left.  What an excellent little model that is, so smooth and slow running.  Must but some footplate crew, maybe the Modelu ones they look great and I like the idea of the fireman leaning over the cabside.

Uncoupling is by an extending magnetic rod (hand of god) which lifts the couplings which have pieces of staple superglued on top. Works for me anyway.

Starting to look better now some scenery is in place, just need to get on with ballast and ground cover (eeek)

Pics not the best as being on the windowsill a lot of light behind.

post-31454-0-10401000-1504622729_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-76719700-1504622734_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-49290600-1504622740_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-16597000-1504622747_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I laid some more ballast and also had another play with my static grass applicator (tea strainer style) which for me works very well and for the price (under £25) am very pleased with.

Need to position and weather the buffer stops properly and then fix the wall.

My thoughts (too many) are that this area of track and sidings are the other side of the bridge from the local station (which will be the fiddle yard) so gives me another reason for its existence.

This photo !!!!!

The local DMU is resting between services in the siding before its run back into the station to collect passengers for the run to the main town.

The 14xx is resting (time for a brew) after bringing in the local goods and shunting the wagons.

With the layout in its current position on the windowsill then there is no room for a fiddle yard, so the plan is to make a small one that can be attached anytime after the layout has been taken off the sill. Then I can run trains off the board and give it another reason for being there.  Well thats the theory anyway. 

Funny how after looking at other forums on here you get ideas for expansion and also creating a story (albeit small) for the models existence.

post-31454-0-34279400-1505917902_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

You will notice I have weathered the track as well using Railmaster Dark Rust Enamel brushed on to the sides of the rails.

Seems to have worked OK.

The sleepers were brushed with sleeper grime..

Feel free to make any recommendations you see fit, as this layout is my very 1st attempt at a layout.

I'm not sure whether I should have used a lighter ballast but hopefully this darker look is OK for a sidings area.

Have a good weekend.

• 2 months later...

Not a lot of progress lately (time constraints) and I'm Retired :sungum:

Change one piece of straight track so that hopefully a fiddle yard can be added later.

Also rewired some of the connections, mainly as I have treated myself to a Prodigy Express DCC controller.

What a difference that makes to the slow running and ease of control.

Added a 2" extension to the front so that I can put a small coal stage in the front left hand siding along with a water crane.

Also make the coal yard near the bridge a bit less cramped.

I fell in love with a Hornby Duchess Loco (City of Nottingham) and had to buy her. Runs well and have had it DCC'd.

Not really the type of loco for my area but too good to miss, so it can visit occasionally after running a "special"  (see pic.)

Will take some more shots shortly.

post-31454-0-88500200-1511376648_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

You will notice I have weathered the track as well using Railmaster Dark Rust Enamel brushed on to the sides of the rails.

Seems to have worked OK.

The sleepers were brushed with sleeper grime..

Feel free to make any recommendations you see fit, as this layout is my very 1st attempt at a layout.

I'm not sure whether I should have used a lighter ballast but hopefully this darker look is OK for a sidings area.

Have a good weekend.

The static grass is looking good. Could you post a close up of the ballast as it's quite hard to see.

The static grass is looking good. Could you post a close up of the ballast as it's quite hard to see.

Sorry not been about for a while so missed this posting.

Will try to do some more shots soon.

?? Is there any way you can get a notification that someone has added a reply to a post you have made or are following.

Without having to open up RMWeb. ?

I'm certain I ticked a box for notifications but don't seem to get any ?? technology challenged methinks.

• 5 weeks later...

Neat

Definately not my era but good use of the backscene and buildings which draw the eye.

Ian

Bit of help from the boss here. Took us ages to achieve how we wanted it. Now to add detail (when time permits :no:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well its been a while since I last posted about this diorama :no:

Progress has been slow  but we have made some progress. As you can see the left end is nearly there, just needs a bit more dirtying up and finishing off with a small amount of clutter.

Pleased with the coal stage and water pump area. Chap with the shovel is by ModelU.

Used Javis scenics timber wall along the front, took a long while to come up with them but once I had tried a couple we (the boss and I) decided to go for it.

Widened the base slightly so had to add a bit extra to the bridge, seems to have come out OK.

Still got to decide how to finish that end.

Metcalfe's little signalbox has gone in well and was a lovely kit to build.

So here are a few photo's for you to see.

Reckon I'm still going to have to put a fiddleyard on the right, just a cassette style one, so I could run trains off the board, when she's not on the windowsill.

Hope you like the update.

post-31454-0-38872700-1530724994_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-73822700-1530725006_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-83513300-1530725020_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-46562500-1530725034_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-52379000-1530725048_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-99492800-1530725068_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-15894000-1530725084_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Well its almost finished now, need to decide what to do near the bridge/coalyard to finish off. Need to make it some sort of entrance but not sure what. Whilst some other areas need a little work, also some edges need rectifying. (Funny how a photo shows it up)
Decided to have a little play with some box vans and added some chalk markings which I got from RailTec Transfers after reading an article in Model Rail. Give the wagons a different look. Settled them down using MicroSol which worked fine and then a touch of acrylic varnish when dried.
Here are a few photo's taken with my phone.
Soon it can go back where it belongs on the windowsill (in my study). Then maybe I can think about my next project, have a space 12' x 20" with a possible side piece one end for a fiddleyard.
BR 50's/60's - decisions decisions.
Once we are all finished will share some photo's of the whole thing (all 5' of it)
Been great fun.

post-31454-0-85149700-1536506093_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-69049900-1536506104_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-76998600-1536506115_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-48009000-1536506126_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-82637600-1536506144_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-85149700-1536506093_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-69049900-1536506104_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-76998600-1536506115_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-48009000-1536506126_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-82637600-1536506144_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few more photo's of the current situation.

Almost finished apart from the coal area and a few bits and pieces.

Must say I do like the Metcalfe small signal box, a really nice kit to build and fits in the restricted space a treat.

post-31454-0-17693600-1537618849_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-59856800-1537618859_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-02648700-1537618891_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-00232400-1537618909_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-40929500-1537619348_thumb.jpg

Edited by MANTY1
  • Like 2

Here are 3 overhead shots, which shows the trackplan better.

At this point I really must add that without the internet and the help I have received from this and other forums we would not be where we are.

It really is refreshing that like minded modellers happily give advice and post pictures so we can all learn from it and get better ideas.

Happy Modelling. :senile:

post-31454-0-86201600-1537619002_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-45908900-1537619049_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-88628900-1537619064_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The layout has a real old time goods yard atmosphere I reckon, looks great - the sort of thing I want to get into my next project. This being a tad longer than the average micro layout helps, such yards were big places. Good work! :)

Looking at this layout and how it has developed has had me thinking. With the recent releases of 0-4-0 industrial steam and small diesels how about an early preservation site ! No Mk 1 coaches but Brake Van rides( pulled/propelled ) being provided up and down the yard by one of the Locos. The others on display.

Platforms wouldn't need to be long just to take a couple of Brake vans. Could be made from one of the kits of Loco fueling depots as long as some steps are provided. Seem to remember at least one site ( Dinting ) had this sort of arrangements.

Food for thought.

Edited by johnd