Dapol 'O' 57XX / 8750

H4706

Possibly a random batch ?, I am pleased to say mine works fine, obtained from Tower Models.

My 5700 arrived today from Tower and its wired backwards.  Lamp iron loose, front handrail knob not fitted, front buffers askew but she's lovely now.  Pity the bunker is full of plastic though they really don't need to do this as it looks awful.

Norman 

My 5700 arrived today from Tower and its wired backwards.  Lamp iron loose, front handrail knob not fitted, front buffers askew but she's lovely now.  Pity the bunker is full of plastic though they really don't need to do this as it looks awful.

Norman 

Norman,

So long as its sorted then fine, if not get back to Tower Models and maybe let them know.

Are you DC or DCC ?

The reason I ask is that I fitted my own decoder into my DCC Ready 57xx and if you intend to do so then be very careful when removing the body.

It comes in one piece, however the cab and bunker are not solidly fixed against the panniers and can seem slightly "flimsy".  Also, when putting it back you need to get the cab rear correct when it sits over the LED bracket ( for the firebox glow ) and be aware that the handrails fit into a tiny hole in the running plate and they are also fairly flexible.

Otherwise enjoy !

Grahame

edited for typo !

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1

Picked one up today from Hatton's. It too is wired 'backwards'. Ten minutes to sort it out, though one of the wires to the motor needs to be extended. No problems with anything broken, adrift or wonky.The packaging is robust: took me ages to get my loco out! Now for some weathering, a crew to fit and the coal to improve on. Am delighted for the price, it stands comparison with my Vulcan kitbuilt ones.

Jeff

• Like 1

5717 came today, and it is a little gem.

Heavier than the Jinty (and similar in weight to the Minerva model) it is well packaged, with the bunker lamp iron the only casualty of the journey from Blackpool. This was a simple refix.

I believe mine would run the wrong way on DC, however this is not an issue for me as I have reversed this with CV 29 on the decoder. This was a simple install, 6 screws removing the upper body from the running plate - very similar to the 64xx. Indeed, aside the omission of a drive belt, the chassis layout is similar to the 64xx, with speaker box over the front axle pointing down.

The model runs beautifully, the firebox flicker is not turnoffable, and remains on on DCC.

attachicon.gif8A402FB8-9C56-459F-9B37-9319A1FDE901.jpeg

attachicon.gif4A121170-1980-4E36-B303-5ED7B5DAC2DD.jpeg

attachicon.gif65A899AA-5F02-4D1B-B726-489E01B02F9E.jpeg

You’ve gotta love that padlock!

attachicon.gifA963B0A7-23C3-4A90-95F0-96DB6D2F1309.jpeg

Hope this is of interest, I look forward to others impressions and opinions.

Neal

Good mini review Neal,

I have the early GW 57xx version and reversed it using CV29 which is straight forward enough. 

I hadn't realised until I ran her in on DC that there was a firebox flicker.

Its nice to know it was there even if not wanted. That said, when I did the decoder install ( an existing one that I had which is an ESU Loksound V4 ) the flicker did not come on despite pressing any of the controller buttons. I tried contacting Tower today but permanently busy. 

Would you have any ideas about this LED not coming on ?

Grahame

5717 came today, and it is a little gem.

Heavier than the Jinty (and similar in weight to the Minerva model) it is well packaged, with the bunker lamp iron the only casualty of the journey from Blackpool. This was a simple refix.

I believe mine would run the wrong way on DC, however this is not an issue for me as I have reversed this with CV 29 on the decoder. This was a simple install, 6 screws removing the upper body from the running plate - very similar to the 64xx. Indeed, aside the omission of a drive belt, the chassis layout is similar to the 64xx, with speaker box over the front axle pointing down.

The model runs beautifully, the firebox flicker is not turnoffable, and remains on on DCC.

The chassis is open around the internal valve gear, which is made of red self coloured plastic. The void around the gear is painted red. Pleasingly, the brake linkage doubles to pass inside and outside the rear drivers. This is not present on the Minerva model.

The valve gear runs reasonably smoothly, with a slight tick as the motion oscillates.

The body is cleanly moulded, cab detail is fine, and although visible, the extra clear plastic around the cab windows is hard to see from most viewing angles. The roof is easily removed however looks a little heavy compared to the Minerva. Paint finish (in my case black) is very good. The safety valve is noticeably more detailed on the Dapol model

I like the fact that the ash pan is coloured differently to the frames, however this is a little bright, and could do with weathering down. I think you will see this on other UK models in the future. The ashpan is much deeper than on the Minerva model, others might advise whether this is right.

Cab side plates are etched and very nice, the smoke box plate and shed plate are perfect and accurately located.

My opinion of the model is that it may just edge the Minerva loco, however it lacks the loose bits to allow variations to be modelled easily. There are no additional parts to fit yourself.

The working motion is hard to see from trackside viewing angles - but it’s nice to know it’s there! However being of plastic, time will tell as to how durable it is. The valve gear colour is a little bright, and it could do with some dirty oil to tone it down. Any ideas what could do the job on this plastic?

The removable cab roof is far more useful that the Jinty, however compromise for this might be the coarser edge of the roof where it sits on the cab sides.

For those running DC, if you are unlucky and your loco runs the wrong way this will be frustrating. However access to the motor terminals is good, and a switcheroo would be simple to achieve (if you don’t want to send it back!).

attachicon.gif8A402FB8-9C56-459F-9B37-9319A1FDE901.jpeg

attachicon.gif4A121170-1980-4E36-B303-5ED7B5DAC2DD.jpeg

attachicon.gif65A899AA-5F02-4D1B-B726-489E01B02F9E.jpeg

You’ve gotta love that padlock!

attachicon.gifA963B0A7-23C3-4A90-95F0-96DB6D2F1309.jpeg

Hope this is of interest, I look forward to others impressions and opinions.

Neal

Good honest review Neal,

Picked mine up from Antic's today, with corrected 'running' direction, all part of their excellent service.

This is a Richard Webster inspired triumph, innovative and accurate.

I have driven one a few times and this catches the essence I'm sure. The ashpan is correct as it is lower than the brake gear for the rear axle- hence the double brake rodding, so compromise free. The 'working' valve gear adds to the fun with just that bit of movement to add interest. Opening doors on the BR one, different backheads on topfeed models. Full rivet detail, tank top detail, shrouded topfeed pipework... etc.. etc.... and padlocks, all for sub £200! 

Sorted, well worth the wait

John

• Like 4

Good mini review Neal,

I have the early GW 57xx version and reversed it using CV29 which is straight forward enough. 

I hadn't realised until I ran her in on DC that there was a firebox flicker.

Its nice to know it was there even if not wanted. That said, when I did the decoder install ( an existing one that I had which is an ESU Loksound V4 ) the flicker did not come on despite pressing any of the controller buttons. I tried contacting Tower today but permanently busy. 

Would you have any ideas about this LED not coming on ?

Grahame

Sorry Graham, I don’t know why that would be..

I used an old Bachmann decoder which I had to hand. Like you, none of the functions had an effect on the firebox, but it’s strange mine is on and yours is off.

I would imagine there is a wider issue with the pcb wiring, not just the motor polarity. It could be something to do with function mapping, you might try another decoder?

At least there are no reports of blue smoke yet!

From another post, I hadn’t noticed the cab doors opened - nice!

Neal

Sorry Graham, I don’t know why that would be..

I used an old Bachmann decoder which I had to hand. Like you, none of the functions had an effect on the firebox, but it’s strange mine is on and yours is off.

I would imagine there is a wider issue with the pcb wiring, not just the motor polarity. It could be something to do with function mapping, you might try another decoder?

At least there are no reports of blue smoke yet!

From another post, I hadn’t noticed the cab doors opened - nice!

Neal

Thank you Neal, much appreciated. I will call Tower / Dapol after the Easter break and see if there is any known issue.  A standard 21 pin decoder didn't respond either so I would assume its possible that the PCB wiring may be the problem. 

I'm not overly concerned but if the feature is there it would be good to know if it can be used.

As I have an ESU Programmer I will also see if it can be sorted out using the CV's possibly. 

Grahame

• RMweb Premium

These look splendid! The only criticism I'd make is the transparent plastic spectacle plate used for the cab glazing as noted by others, however given the remarkable price for such a finely detailed and well finished O gauge model I'm happy to live with that and see if I can address it myself. We're in a world where similar OO models aren't that far behind these price wise.

Im no GWR expert but these look pretty accurate and great value

Following on from 08 and Jinty would it be too much to hope for Dapol to do something equally good for the LNER/NER fans perhaps a J94 or better still a J72

Bob

Edited by Silverstreak

• RMweb Premium

Hello all

Do like the look of the loco and to my eye Dapol have got it right. I’m sure it’s going/is, to be, very popular.

H4706 hope you don’t mind a quick question to the ones who have had a good look at the Pannier, any thoughts or comments regarding converting it to Scale 7? I would welcome any observations you may have.

Many thanks.

James

Thank you Neal, much appreciated. I will call Tower / Dapol after the Easter break and see if there is any known issue.  A standard 21 pin decoder didn't respond either so I would assume its possible that the PCB wiring may be the problem. 

I'm not overly concerned but if the feature is there it would be good to know if it can be used.

As I have an ESU Programmer I will also see if it can be sorted out using the CV's possibly. 

Grahame

Hi Grahame,

I changed the decoder for a TTS King chip, with a 21 to 8 pin adapter. I have used this in other Panniers, and it is remarkably effective (it provides a two cylinder beat and produces reasonable synchronisation at low speeds - plus it’s only £35!)

Ready to insert the rather flimsy Hornby speaker, I was delighted to find that Dapol have one pre-installed in the speaker chamber, plugged into the pcb. A simple rewire, and this works flawlessly with the TTS decoder, much louder that the Hornby one, with better low end sound. Note that global volume needs to be set at 1 or 2, otherwise the decoder overloads.

However with this decoder, the fire didn’t flicker. On the Jinty and Terrier, I think it is F1 or F2 which turns the firebox light on, with the TTS decoder these are both sound functions, I am not sure if these also map to an external output.

Again the loco ran backwards, but this was easily remedied through CV 29 on the TTS decoder.

Running alongside factory sound Lionheart 7400, it holds its own. Whilst not fully synchronised and a bit ‘steppy’ when accelerating/decelerating, there any numerous speed steps where it is well matched and sounds fine.

Still amazed that Dapol can produce this for <£200. Hopefully the later versions will have the direction and firebox flicker sorted for DC and DCC use.

Neal

Neal,

Thanks for that comparison. In photos I’ve seen the Minerva dome looks wider and possibly larger. Is that the case in real life?

Hi Hal,

Not much in it in my opinion, but I haven’t put calipers on it to measure.

Neal

• RMweb Premium

Hi Hal,

Not much in it in my opinion, but I haven’t put calipers on it to measure.

Neal

Cheers - I'm not that precise! Just thought they looked quite a bit different in photos but that is often deceptive.

Weathered mine last week and yesterday the sound chip turned up (great service by Digitrains) all good till I tried to fit the speaker cable  ....which needs a two -pin plug and wire any idea where I can one , looked at a redundant one from g-scale but the plug is two big .

On the way to becoming 1854 saddle tank.

Looks like everything will fit and leave lower section of boiler.

Heart in mouth moment but very impressive. You've got my juices flowing with that now !

Look forward to seeing this one further please.

Grahame

Edited by bgman

Heart in mouth moment but very impressive. You've got my juices flowing with that now !

Look forward to seeing this one further please.

Grahame

All comes apart easily cab front and bunker are separate.  Even tank fillers and dome can be pushed out.

All comes apart easily cab front and bunker are separate.  Even tank fillers and dome can be pushed out.

Agree, when I took mine apart I found the various elements to be "flimsy" until reassembled. That said its a good basis for the saddle tank version. May I ask what material you intend to use for the tank ?

You've really got me thinking now to be honest.

Grahame

Agree, when I took mine apart I found the various elements to be "flimsy" until reassembled. That said its a good basis for the saddle tank version. May I ask what material you intend to use for the tank ?

You've really got me thinking now to be honest.

Grahame

it will be brass with plenty of Archers rivets.
  • Like 1

If I understand correctly, the 57xx has a speaker pre-fitted and needs only a plug-in sound decoder to make noise. So any thoughts please on which chip (I'm most familiar with smaller scale Zimo decoders) and whose soundset I should fit?

EDIT: just got my DC version and just read the review in May's Hornby mag. It seems the speaker is pre-fitted only on the sound version, which will use Dapol's Realdrive soundset on a Zimo MX644D sound decoder.

Edited by dpgibbons

If I understand correctly, the 57xx has a speaker pre-fitted and needs only a plug-in sound decoder to make noise. So any thoughts please on which chip (I'm most familiar with smaller scale Zimo decoders) and whose soundset I should fit?

EDIT: just got my DC version and just read the review in May's Hornby mag. It seems the speaker is pre-fitted only on the sound version, which will use Dapol's Realdrive soundset on a Zimo MX644D sound decoder.

Definitely nothing under the green cover in my dismantled non sound version above.

The Zimo MX644D is excellent, I have it in all my locos.  The Zimo speakers are also excellent, I got the LS40x22x09 Twin in my Jinty - Wow!  Can't speak to the soundfile, most of mine are by Paul Chetter.  I only hope Dapol are improving their design to make sound installation easier.  The pre-installed speaker is a good thing.  Every time I have installed sound it has been a nightmare (mostly involving getting the speaker and stay alive in) and I'm sorely tempted to get sound on board next time, despite the premium.

John

I don’t have mine yet but it looks very similar to the Lionheart panniers of which I have four and the speaker installation is very good. I bought one sound fitted version but my other three are DC ones I upgraded to DCC sound and it’s one of the easiest I have done.

The Dapol Jinty was hard in comparison but in itself still easy. Should the Pannier prove to be the same as the Lionheart then you will need a 31mm speaker which you can get from Digitrains. The sound is very good afterwards with a good frequency range.

Pop off the speaker enclosure, fit the wired speaker in place and refit enclosure. Simple.

It’s taken me on average twenty minutes to convert a DC Lionheart pannier to DCC sound and that involves taking the body off etc. Plenty of room in there for stay alive etc.