Start of the Swanage - Wareham trial service 13 June 2017

PrestburyJack

• RMweb Premium

Short-sighted of the highways authority to build the replacement flyover without a foot path. What were they thinking? My picture from 1985 looks like the vehicle level crossing has just been taken out of use. So was it that recent?

Yup - the bridge in the background carrying the Wareham by-pass is what enabled the level crossing to go as far as road vehicles were concerned. However it (the by-pass) isn't particularly close to the station or the traditional walking routes pedestrians use - which is why a footpath was not considered necessary so BR entered into an agreement with Dorset CC to retain a foot crossing at the site of the old level crossing for pedestrian use instead. Over three decades later however the railway has got busier and the Great British Public have become stupider giving rise to the situation where a crossing keep has to be employed to save people from themselves while the local NIMBYs continue to veto attaching ramps to the current footbridge.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Gold

That's an old pic, there's no room now, most of the spare space has been built on, especially between the old goods shed, and the crossing.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.6930991,-2.1143399,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sz10dPPRkAInV-G1ORQwwbQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Looks doable to me albeit possibly needing demolition of the existing footbridge.

• RMweb Gold

Quick visit this afternoon to see the first train carrying fare-paying passengers. Took a couple of photos (phone) of the train joining the mainline at Worgret which is a difficult location these days with far more trees on the sides of  the cutting than when the line closed to passengers in 1972. Then back to the station to see the WCR 37 haul the train back to Swanage. Will upload pics later and post.

• Like 1

Looks doable to me albeit possibly needing demolition of the existing footbridge.

Yep, certainly is - as the original idea, that's the ballast covered area on the left in the pic. :sungum:

edit, the road over railway bridge was opened to traffic April 1980

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Premium

I think a few of those images could do with rotating, Paul.

But good to see otherwise :)

I like the "Return of Passenger Service" sign.

Curious how the word "Southern" isn't in the Rail Alphabet (not a complaint about this sign - this is how it's shown in the Corporate Identity Manual).

• RMweb Gold

From the pictures it looks as though you are having a good summer; ideal for the introduction of the new service.

Brian.

Well it's strung three hot days together and caused chaos on the national network, our mainline connection was running 15 late so we caught the previous hour train, 20 late, and waited ;)

On a good day the connections at Wareham are 10-15 min wait which is quite comfortable if the mainline is on time.

From the pictures it looks as though you are having a good summer; ideal for the introduction of the new service.

Brian.

2017 has been ( so far) a very dry year, you watch there'll be a ban on steam if it carries on, ideal for the paraffin can freaks !! :sungum:

Unrelated to the restored Swanage to Wareham service, 66756 was at Swanage yesterday where it was named "Royal Corps of Signals", celebrating the work the Corps has undertaken on the Swanage Railway.

I'm sure Mr Frank Roberts (former sergeant in said 'Corps') was happy with that. :sungum:

Found these timings for Friday. I'm guessing moving the LU 4TC to Swanage Railway and the WCRC carriages back to Southall.

Southall - Eastleigh http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R57703/2017/06/30/advanced

Eastleigh - Swanage http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K96311/2017/06/30/advanced

Swanage - Southall http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K96312/2017/06/30/advanced

Unrelated to the restored Swanage to Wareham service, 66756 was at Swanage yesterday where it was named "Royal Corps of Signals", celebrating the work the Corps has undertaken on the Swanage Railway.

Over on WNXX this event apparently caused some upset with the red pen types on board, as the 66 driver was instructed not to take power and to allow 33111 behind to do all the work for some reason.

At Harman's Cross some words were had and the 66 allowed to power the train for the remainder of the journey...I presume someone had their reasons but his does seem a bit odd?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a very nice day out on Saturday to the seaside, £26 return from SWT suburbia to Wareham, and a very pleasant surprise to discover my 3 ordinary Life Member trips per year include the Wareham train. The inbound first train of the morning to arrive at Wareham wasn't very busy, but the first train back to Swanage appeared to have a fairly good load (but certainly not capacity).

I had a ride in the FK, which LT would like passengers to use 4 per side, but unsurprisingly was being used as a compartment for 6, they really should have replaced the seating in the 1st to take out the fold down armrests if they wanted it as a 2nd. Its also a shame that at least 2 of the compartments had double glazed windows that were 'fogged', I hope that LT can get the unit back to snag them before its used for Steam on the Met.

An ice cream or two and a sit on the prom with a good book means I didn't see if the other trains were full, on the way back on the last train it was obvious that the flow was towards Wareham not Swanage.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...