T3 Restriction

Hi,

can anyone shed some light on what this restriction means? (Maybe Beast 66606- as you have expert knowledge of this area) I have heard that the Birkenhead Docks Branch from Rock Ferry is held under a T3 restriction, and will not be opened, until such time that this is lifted.

Dene

• RMweb Gold

T3 is an engineering possession of the line. If there's a lot of work to be done a line may be held under T3 for a long time with the forms held by Signallers and the PICOP (Person In Charge Of Possesion)

Only type of block where you can have rorail, and trains working in the block.

Rule Book Section T used to cover all such blocks so,

Line Blockages used to be known as T2 and are used for light engineering, worksite protection and maintenance work. Trollies allowed under certain conditions but no on track machines.

Possession Of Sidings used to be known as T4.

Edited by PaulRhB

Available on-line from the RSSB - this is exactly what we all use - read and digest .........  :good:

This is just the main Rule Book module

There are lots of other associated documents relating to the various groups of people who would set up / use and work within Possessions & Line Blockages all on their website .............

https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/rulebooks/GERT8000-T3%20Iss%207.pdf

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Premium

As a PICOP is required at all times on a T3 (its his railway and not the signalmans) if the Docks has been out of use for a very long period, its actually unlikely that it is under a T3. I would suggest its actually Out Of Use, with just a sleeper chained to the access with a stop board...

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Like 1

As a PICOP is required at all times on a T3 (its his railway and not the signalmans) if the Docks has been out of use for a very long period, its actually unlikely that it is under a T3. I would suggest its actually Out Of Use, with just a sleeper chained to the access with a stop board...

Andy G

Thanks Andy- there's been no traffic on the line now for a very long time- I think the last Block coal train, ran about 1995, may have been a few workings after that. There was actually a survey a few years ago to look at re-opening, but a lot of the track is in poor condition, particularly down towards the Mollington Street area, and its been left to get in a very overgrown state. Pity really, it would make a good " Heritage" branch! would be good to see some vintage diesel locos cruising down there.

• RMweb Gold

If it's that long term then yes signing out is more likely or the forms would be mounting up by now, Signalman and PICOP have to sign the form at every shift change. ;)

We had a rolling sidings possession on the Wilton Goods Line and that was eventually signed off as a constant block, interestingly only lifted earlier this week after new traffic was booked and Pway had to throw a ton of resources at it.

• Like 1

.... Pity really, it would make a good " Heritage" branch! would be good to see some vintage diesel locos cruising down there.

It would be better as a 3rd rail heritage line.... Especially with the 502 & 503 running on it....

Edited by 37038

If it's that long term then yes signing out is more likely or the forms would be mounting up by now, Signalman and PICOP have to sign the form at every shift change. ;)

We had a rolling sidings possession on the Wilton Goods Line and that was eventually signed off as a constant block, interestingly only lifted earlier this week after new traffic was booked and Pway had to throw a ton of resources at it.

Hi Mate,

The Access to the branch is still open, and the signalling is still turned on.

Dean

• RMweb Gold

Access is open so just some of the time? ;) As said at the top once they take a T3 the line is handed over to the PICOP so although engineering trains can go in it's not really open. If trains are going in then it's not signed out of use so is the T3 just on when it's not required for traffic because there's so much to do?

If it is open part of the time then I'd guess there's a speed on too.

Access is open so just some of the time? ;) As said at the top once they take a T3 the line is handed over to the PICOP so although engineering trains can go in it's not really open. If trains are going in then it's not signed out of use so is the T3 just on when it's not required for traffic because there's so much to do?

If it is open part of the time then I'd guess there's a speed on too.

Hi Mate, there has only been 2 engineering trains on it in the past few years- they used it for access to Rock Ferry station during re-ballasting operations in and around the station. They did not venture any further along the branch- not surprising really, the track does not look in the best of condition. As I said earlier, the block coal trips finished a very long time ago now, and I think the branch was just abandoned, although it is still extant, at least up to Green Lane, as far as I am aware. They did put a new rail bridge in, but whether they re-instated the track, I have not been up there to check.

Dean