Well silence has been the result of total inactivity! However, I've managed to pick the ball up again tonight - only for an hour or so, but given the length of time that has passed, I thought an update was in order.
I originally started this thread with the intention of converting a Dapol 56 to EM gauge. Why? Well i've never tackled anything like this before - not even detailed, painted or weathered before, so it was very much a 'suck it and see' project to find out whether i could do it. I'd acquired a Dapol 56 at a very good price (read cheap!) from a fellow rmWebber. Discussions then turned into possibly remotorising it as part of the rewheel, that turned into double-motorising it with two original bogies, at which point another kind rmWebber popped up with a part stripped (paint wise) loco offering it for spares or the motor bogie. So that is where I am! Oh with one further exception, through a friend i also acquired a DCC lighting kit for the loco from a chap on eBay.
Anyway tonight, i've managed to start stripping the locos down, and have tested both bogies to ensure they work, which they do! Not exactly smooth to be honest, so I am open to any ideas or thoughts on how I could improve the running capabilities.
Can anyone tell me what these two black things are? They seem to be connected to the original lighting and I thought at first they were capacitors or possibly something to take interference out, but the former i doubt because the lights go out as soon as the power is removed, and the latter would surely be on the pick-up or motor side?
EDIT: Just dawned on me they may be resisters for the bulbs! Duh!
Then the move to EM ... or not! The aim remains to upgrade the bodyshell with etched brass grills, change the glazing to flushglazing and do a repaint into all over blue as 56074 Kellingley Colliery, with Railtec transfers. If everything works and looks good, final move will be the fitment of a DCC Zimo sound chip, and wiring up of the new lighting unit.
However, Im swaying away from going down the EM gauge road. Lack of time and lots to do - I want to learn how to detail and weather locos and rolling stock, still want to build the layout - the couplings need to be changed to Kadee's, because the layout will need remote uncouplers - I just think having to rewheel everything is adding extra work in where it does not really need to be added. The good news however, is that I am not going to pure Peco OO - indeed I am 90% sure of going 00-SF. That will mean that the Peco trackwork i've acquired can still be used in the fiddle yards out of sight, the rolling stock doesn't need re-wheeling but the trackwork will hopefully look far better. Comments as ever are welcomed!
Im hoping to progress quicker now i've actually started! Also got some keen thoughts for the layout, including long coal trains!
Edited by Richie Kynaston, 13 January 2018 - 22:07 .