A big pair of buffers

Farnley ironworks, it has recently appeared on ebay, but 5050 has a physical copy he showed me many months ago, they are obviously lower and closer together for inside framed wagons like chauldrons but why further out?

Edited by sir douglas

Farnley ironworks, it has recently appeared on ebay, but 5050 has a physical copy he showed me many months ago, they are obviously lower and closer together for inside framed wagons like chauldrons but why further out?

My photo is the same loco, probably taken at the same time, but a view of the rear. taken (according to the back of the print) 8th June 1939, Kitson builders no. 1514/70.

If you think you've sorted the definition of components, have a go at this then!  Snapped in northern Switzerland but could be of German origin:

attachicon.gifBuffers2.jpg

The one on the left is a type generally known by the name of the manufacturer, Ringfeder; as you surmised, it's of Germanic origin, and seen in the UK on Cargowaggon and VTG vehicles. A former colleague, who had worked for VTG, said they were preferred by the Germans because they were less prone to over-ride when in compression on long descents.

Some Farnley images here -

http://leedsmrs.org/jpegs/Gallery/AlanSmith/asdg1.html#a1

It would appear that all the Farnley locos that I have seen images of have these extended buffers.

I can e-mail some images to you, please PM me.

That is most useful, thanks.

The images suggest extended buffers were necessary for those chauldron wagons - with a sloping body there would not be much clearance betwen high buffers and body without.

Tony

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...