I don't really like HSTs with buffers so even if it is prototypical I probably won't model one. Gauging the height for the coupling will probably be a difficult task but shouldn't take too long to do. The biggest worry I currently have is how to cut out the section of the front. Any ideas?

Edited by luke the train spotter

Hi Luke,

I like the idea of having a coupling. I had a look on google and found this image of the HST with its coupling door open http://www.totnestrains.com/uploads/6/9/2/9/6929845/43087-13-05-17-5z74_3_orig.jpg

I don't think this would be to much work to replicate on the models. Cutting out the square cat the front and then sticking it back on higher up.

My preference would then be to use the slimline couplers which would be the most discreet. You could have a rather nice looking set once this is done! and without spending loads of money!

Gary

PS. I never did get those transfers done, I got sidetracked by something else!!

That raised door looks pretty thin to me (I'm not very familiar with diseasal traction however) so you might be better making it from a small rectangle of plasticard. Presumably there is some sort of "hinge" mechanism on the back too.

Using a dremel slitting disc on plastic mouldings tends to melt a gouge through the material so you would be unlikely to be able to recover the door part anyway. You could cut out the door using a piercing saw with a very fine blade (assuming other bits of the body don't get in the way) but you have to be pretty handy with the saw to get straight sides.

One slow but probably safer way to do it would be to chain drill (lots of drill holes in line next to one another) around the door position using a fine drill bit, link up the holes using a sharp craft knife (you can usually break it out after a couple of sides have been cut) and then file/sand back to the opening edge. However that would still mean fabricating a replacement door.

Hope you succeed if you do decide to have a go. I guess it would be something unusual and rarely modelled.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One slow but probably safer way to do it would be to chain drill (lots of drill holes in line next to one another) around the door position using a fine drill bit, link up the holes using a sharp craft knife (you can usually break it out after a couple of sides have been cut) and then file/sand back to the opening edge. However that would still mean fabricating a replacement door.

Luke,

I have been thinking about this and I think Darwinian's method is the best way of going about it. However you choose to do it I look forward to seeing what you achive.

Gary

PS. I don't know much about diseasals either, I model the LB&SCR and SE&CR in the first years of the 20th century.

Cheers guys, I think that chain drilling will be my best method of removing the piece of plastic. I scratch built a shunt signal last night for my other layout and I will have a picture of that up soon - just need to operate it on a 3v battery for now as I have no resistors. Regarding the hst, I am slowly stripping all the extra paint of one of the power cars down to its black plastic base layer. This is quite a slow process with me but I would like to have both cars stripped by in the next week or so. Thanks.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The emergency coupling on a HST power car is a solid steel bar which engages on to a standard drawhook on the power car buffer beam, which is normally hidden behind the door in the fibreglass streamlined nose, and the drawhook of the assisting loco or train.  You then couple up the brake pipes and do a brake test, and away you go at, IIRC, up to 90mph.  You can draw or propel.  We were given instruction in how to do this when the production HSTs were introduced on the WR, and the bar is a hefty lump of steel, long enough to keep the HST's fibreglass well away from the assisting vehicles buffers, but not hard to model, !!RC about 6 inch square bar with eyes on the ends for the hooks to engage in.  It is kept in the brake van.  Luckily I never had cause to use one.  You unlocked the door with a carriage key.

Ahhhhh. Ok. So in my case it will probably be a decorated nem coupling. I imagine that some thin, bent and painted wire will serve as brake pipes but the steel bar will probably just be there for decoration above the coupling. I will have a look with the nose of the HST next to my Bachmann class 25 and use that to gauge the required height of the coupling.

Got some slim nem pocket couplings sorted and should get them at the weekend. They are the by product of using kadees on my friend's layout. Should also mean that I have some spare to put onto my Hornby MBA coal wagon. I don't know if you remember seeing those nasty plastic blue "fine fish" box cars but I picked one up years ago at an exhibition. It was repainted into br bauxite and now I am repainting it into network rail yellow. I will post a picture later but it isn't finished yet. This is kind off my test paint but it has been done with brush - not spray like the hst will be.

I think that acrylic thinner is alcohol-based, and it certainly "carries" the pigment better than plain water, possibly because of lower surface tension. I've got a feeling that it is possible to buy alcohol from the chemists at an nth of the price charged for acrylic thinners. Some people recommend 1/3 alcohol with 2/3 water, plus a few drops of flow improver.

The £100 layout is a great concept; I sometimes think the most satisfaction I had from modelling was when I was still at school, and had to make things from "throwaway" materials. Worth getting hold of old magazines, sixties, better still fifties, because they contain a high proportion of articles about modelling with really basic materials and tools.

Kevin

PS: you can get five litres of alcohol for £18 on eBay, but worth checking how watered down it is already; chemists should have pure stuff, sometimes sold as "rubbing alcohol", and electronics places like maplins sell it for use as hardware cleaner.

Edited by Nearholmer

To try and meet the £100 budget I spend a lot of time sifting through the internet and old model railway magazines picked up cheap to source many cheap and basic ways of modelling. All the buildings and structures on the layout will be scratch built out of plasti card and brick/texture papers. I have used this method for my current layout with all the buildings being scratch built by myself with there being only one kit which is a heavily modified and repainted Metcalfe kit. This is a signal box that has been re-roofed, repainted and had an interior scratch built out of plasti card. Nothing like getting side tracked. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Scratch building is a great way to keep costs down, if you can be creative with materials it can be almost free!! Take my signal box for example, it's made from old cereal boxes!!!

post-22762-0-57384000-1501623074_thumb.jpg

Gary

(Hope you don't mind me posting the picture as an example, I can remove it if you do)

Edited by BlueLightning

Hi Gary,

I really don't mind if anyone posts pictures in this thread as I think that they can inspire other modellers. You mentioned that your signal box was built out of cereal packets and so are the platforms on my current layout. Here is a picture of them with a pannier in platform 1a and 1b with 2 gwr b set coaches:

post-32204-0-68383700-1501660647_thumb.jpg

The brick on the side is brick paper from Metcalfe which I got cheaply from my local model shop. The top of the platform was just a grey paint. For the new layout, I plan to use the scalescenes downloadable platform kit that only costs £1.99 .

• Like 2