Yes I have stumbled across that website before and I have used some of those kits before such as the booking office and oil drums. I have looked into their platform kit but the tarmac surface texture just isn't quite convincing as the scalescenes one so I will probably go with the scalescenes one purely based on that. I am always impressed by these kits and the complex visualization that is required to create them.

Edited by luke the train spotter
  • Like 1

So a quick update on some purchases:

• I have ordered a pack of 1k ohm resistors for the hst lighting and I will order some leds soon

• I have also ordered a sheet of a4 inkjet waterslide transfer paper. This only cost me £1.49 for a single sheet so I will see how these transfers go before I order any more paper

• Continuing with the budget theme I payed a visit to the all famous "Pound Land" and managed to pick up a spray can of grey primer paint. I hope this will do as it is only cheap stuff but if it does work then I will probably buy some more for more general model work.

• If you didn't already know but I've managed to arrange the use of an air compressor for my airbrush that I can borrow for the respray.

I have another question regarding the method of making the transfers. Does it matter that I put gloss varnish onto the transfer paper over normal varnish? Thanks. :)

• RMweb Gold

Next time you're in poundland, Luke, splash out on a set of cheapo children's paint brushes.  These are useless for painting, but handy for all sorts of other things; I use them for brushing out bits of debris from flangeways, brushing glue into areas hard to reach otherwise (you can throw the brush away afterwards), getting into mechanisms to clean bits out and all sorts of things you wouldn't trash a good brush with.  They have stiff nylon bristles which are very good at flicking things away from where they shouldn't be

Next time you're in poundland, Luke, splash out on a set of cheapo children's paint brushes.  These are useless for painting, but handy for all sorts of other things; I use them for brushing out bits of debris from flangeways, brushing glue into areas hard to reach otherwise (you can throw the brush away afterwards), getting into mechanisms to clean bits out and all sorts of things you wouldn't trash a good brush with.  They have stiff nylon bristles which are very good at flicking things away from where they shouldn't be

They also do cheap superglue (CA), either 8 tubes or 4 bottles,

works okay and not such a big deal when it 'goes off' before

you've used it!

• RMweb Gold

I have another question regarding the method of making the transfers. Does it matter that I put gloss varnish onto the transfer paper over normal varnish? Thanks. :)

Luke,

I use the same varnish throughout, however looking at other peoples threads on here I think as long as you leave it to dry properly, you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

They also do cheap superglue (CA), either 8 tubes or 4 bottles,

works okay and not such a big deal when it 'goes off' before

you've used it!

Yes, cheapo superglue is brilliant for things that you might want to remove, such as cab roofs to put crews in.  It is, of course, quite useless as superglue...

Yes, cheapo superglue is brilliant for things that you might want to remove, such as cab roofs to put crews in.  It is, of course, quite useless as superglue...

I'm going to have to rise to that!

The cheapo CA that I have used is not as bad as you make out,

I used it to fix the Lincs couplings to my Lima/Triang 0 gauge 16T

wagons for my shunting puzzle, which has done 4 years of shows

with kids crashing them about, (I did have a couple of failures, but

no more than the solder joints, which were a problem as it was a

steel to brass joint!)

Agreed, it's not Rocket, Loctite, or any other top notch brand, but

it does work well enough, just remember to be aware that it is a

cheap version and don't expect it to be perfect all the time!

So I've got some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that I've spent this months budget on another project I'm really passionate about is my narrow gauge 009 modelling. I've decided that I would like a simple loop layout so I've bought the track and planned the baseboards and track plan. The good news is that I will have a fair amount of time to work on the new modern image layout. This includes repainting and making the transfers for the flying banana and a kind of funny side project which is the repainted box car.

If you cast your minds back to a couple of posts ago I mentioned that I was repainting a "Fine Fish" box car into network rail yellow. Now since I'm making my own transfers I can ummmmmmm.... adjust the wagon branding so I will have a notwork fail wagon complete with the slogan 'not improving your railway' . Just something funny to put on the layout and to add a bit of interest.

• Like 2

So I have completed all work on the box car so I can put my full attention on the network rail hst but firstly here is a picture of the completed box car:

Next up is the work I have been doing to the hst in preparation for the repaint. The hst cars in modelling are 43062 (currently in use) and 43154 (not part of the hst anymore) . 43154 will be in tow so after I stripped the paint down and primed it, I cut out and filed out the emergency coupling door.

This was achieved with my dremel drill and some sand paper. I then modified the chassis with a small hand saw and glued in a slim line nem pocket coupling. To complete the idea that the hst was being towed I added in a laser pointer and an emergency door. Both were made from 1mm plasticard and poly cement.

post-32204-0-18928400-1503130658_thumb.jpg

The laser guide thingy (very technical term!) was successful and looked good so I made one for the 43062 power car as well with the inly difference being that I glued it on before the initial coat of primer.post-32204-0-84479100-1503130775_thumb.jpg

With that done both cars received another coat of primer. I spent a good part of my time yesterday designing and scaling the down the transfers and here is a picture of the test print on normal paper just laid on top of the power cars for a snse of scale.post-32204-0-38216700-1503130930_thumb.jpg

So that's everything prepped for painting! Will be exciting to get some paint on the power cars and I will continue to update you on any more progress.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...